or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 Road Tests and Model Reports

My C4 against my mum's Fiesta

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Basket   
Mon Jun 16 2008, 04:33pm
Interesting comparison.

Mainly gearbox as the C4 was the better driving car.

The Ford gearbox was very different from the Citroen. The shift was very short and very direct. The C4 has much longer travel and doesn't feel as tight or quicker to change. The Ford gearbox is far better.

Why does the Fiesta have such little light doors though I almost took the door of the hinges trying to open it C4 coupe style!
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Jun 16 2008, 06:37pm

Member No: #1
The C4 coupe doors are wide and the side impact bars in the make it ncap 5 star

Your much safer in a C4
Diesel Dog   
Tue Jun 17 2008, 02:32am
c4owner wrote ...

The C4 coupe doors are wide and the side impact bars in the make it ncap 5 star

Your much safer in a C4

You have a smash in a C4 your more likely to walk away and so are the people who hit you!!
Basket   
Tue Jun 17 2008, 03:39am
Not complaining about the doors.

I likes the heavy feel. they feel a bit safer.

Of course....the width is still a pain in the rear end in car parks.
hertsnminds   
Tue Jun 17 2008, 03:44am
Member No: #1276
When I was running my C4 my partner had a Fiesta (05) spec. The Fiesta, along with the taughter gearbox you mention, always seemed to have firmer suspension and more responsive steering. But the C4 always felt less likely to let go and a generally safer place to be.
BigJohnD   
Tue Jun 17 2008, 05:25am

Member No: #82
I had a an 87 F**d Fiasco years ago, from new. Awful car. Fortunately the F**d dealer was just across a road, so it cut the cost of visiting him. Within 3 months I'd had 5 new tyres (all faulty!), a new battery (also faulty), a recall about unleaded fuel as 1 tankful in 5 or 6 had to be leaded (that was real pain, trying to remember), faulty seat fittings, new speedo cable, misaligned doors, &c. &c. I got shut after two years for an (Opel) Astra, which while very boring and looked like a blob of toothpaste, was much, much better.

SWMBO has a '57 F*c*s Zetec Climate, with essentially the same diesel engine as the C4, though the characteristics are very different, especially at low revs. Considering she does 100 miles a day of which 90 are on the motorway, she can't hit 50mpg.

I find the whole car too twitchy - the steering and the ride. It makes me tense. You get the feeling it will suddenly come unstuck, though I expect it won't. The seats are better than in the previous F*c*s, but still too small and uncomfortable after an hour at the wheel. It lacks a whole host of touches which I've come to expect with C4 - electric windows all round, climate and cruise control. It has got Ford's patented heated windscreen, which is useful on frosty days. I don't like the impersonal gear shift - there's no sense of the cogs sliding in - it's a switch which doesn't require any mechanical sympathy. The dash is very old fashioned and the trip computer is basic and naff, probably an after-thought. Nothing's gone wrong with it yet other than few light bulbs failing. But it is setup for RHD and the glove box door is pretty beefy!
OfnPanad   
Mon Sep 01 2008, 04:15am
I'm not sure my 05 VTR 1.6HDi (92) fares well against my Mum's 07 Fiesta ST...except on fuel economy of course

The gearbox especially - and I've found that on every Citroen I've ever driven. On the C4 I would describe it as a wooden spoon stood in a half-full bowl of rice pudding...

That said the centre-mounted digital guages are a fantastic idea, as is the fixed steering wheel boss. Any car with dials and a solid steering wheel feels very odd & old-fashioned after driving the C4 for a while!

FRAN   
Mon Sep 01 2008, 12:18pm
Member No: #1611
I've got a lot of respect for the TDCI fiestas, specially as the 1.6 is the same engine as in the C4. Even the 1.4 diesel is a lot quicker that you'd expect. But the C4 is just a much better car for a mix of driving.

Fran
BigJohnD   
Mon Sep 01 2008, 01:06pm

I just don't see the Ford Fiesta as a competitor to the C4 - it's the Focus.
Stuey   
Mon Sep 01 2008, 01:36pm
Member No: #84
some of the higher spec Fiestas are in the same range as mid range C4's...but not really seeing the point to this one.
AlanMC   
Mon Sep 01 2008, 01:40pm
Would never have a ford, just not my type of car.
Ham   
Mon Sep 01 2008, 01:58pm

Member No: #69
BigJohnD wrote ...

I just don't see the Ford Fiesta as a competitor to the C4 - it's the Focus.

exactly what John said, fiesta should be compaired with the c3
Basket   
Mon Sep 01 2008, 04:16pm
Stuey wrote ...

some of the higher spec Fiestas are in the same range as mid range C4's...but not really seeing the point to this one.

I have never driven a Focus so can't compare.
The Idea is the concept of how one feels driving a particular car. The Fiesta I drove has a far better gearbox and that's a fact. I wasn't comparing the boot or the legroom which the C4 being a bigger car has more of.

I recently drove a Chrysler 300C and hated the [%*^#@!] thing. It drives like an ocean liner on a sea of jelly. The C4 is certainly not in the same league but I do know a C4 goes round corners a damn sight better and is a better drivers car.
BigJohnD   
Mon Sep 01 2008, 04:30pm

Basket wrote ...
Keep it that way! You'll start by finding the seats small and uncomfortable…
Basket   
Tue Sep 02 2008, 12:59am
BigJohnD wrote ...

Basket wrote ...
Keep it that way! You'll start by finding the seats small and uncomfortable…

Also the price was Fiesta price and not Focus price. I couldn't get a new Focus for the money I paid for my Coupe. And that is including a Ford workers discount. So the comparison with a Fiesta is valid in my eyes.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member