or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Technical Questions

EGS Gearbox Classification

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
blueclouduk   
Wed May 07 2008, 05:05am
I have spoken to DVLA (both Swansea and London) and neither organisation is sure how to classify the vehicle and have passed the buck to VOSA (the MoT people).

The technical advisor at VOSA said that because the car does not have a clutch pedal and because the gears can be selected by paddles it is classified as a "tiptronic" semi-automatic vehicle.

As such a driver only needs to have the "automatic" category A on their driving licence.

So there you go folks, an EGS C4 is an automatic - official.
2 User said Thank You to for this Post :
  (03 Nov 2012 : 11:42) , Astraa (20 Apr 2013 : 11:37)
udnylad   
Wed May 07 2008, 06:11am
Thanks for that, I had been wondering myself.
Sounds like this little factoid should be either a sticky or added into the FAQs.
andy ellis   
Sat Oct 04 2008, 01:58am
And to add to this for any would be driving instructors DSA'a take is as long as the vehicle is driven in full auto mode it counts as an automatic only test. Use of the electric handbrake is acceptable as long as the pupil takes off and puts it on when its is required, they are not allowed to rely on the automatic systems.
The Lyonator   
Mon Dec 08 2008, 03:27pm
blueclouduk wrote ...
As such a driver only needs to have the "automatic" category A on their driving licence.

For those with the new Driving Licences, automatics only is shown as Category B, Restriction Code 78.

Richard

1 User said Thank You to for this Post :
  (03 Nov 2012 : 11:42)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member