or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Top Five Polishes...

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Gareth Wales   
Thu Apr 05 2007, 03:36pm
Member No: #121
according to this week's Auto Express, the Best out of 50 tested is:

1. Turtle Wax Platinum Extra Gloss £9.99 500ml - both this and a runner-up polish 2.Turtle Wax Gloss Guard £6.99 500ml "show great stamina, and are easy to apply and buff.

3. Comma Car Polish £4.99 400ml

4. Simoniz Original Was £5.99 500ml

5. Car Plan Nanomeric Paintwork Seal and Protect £12.99 500ml.

Among the surprising failures:

Megulars Gold Class Liquid Car Was 2 out 5 "faded early and there was nothing left at the end" and Farecla Hi Gloss Wax also 2/5 Faded after three weeks, vanished after two months.

NB Samples were checked regularly over eight weeks to see which were still beading water and offering protection.

Ease of application and of course cost were also taken into account.

Need to know how your favourite polish rated? Just ask.
1 User said Thank You to Gareth Wales for this Post :
  (30 Dec 2010 : 09:55)
Welshguy   
Thu Apr 05 2007, 05:24pm
Member No: #77
I use Poorboys Natty's Blue paste wax. It's specifically designed for dark coloured cars, and it's finish is amazing. Doesn't tend to last any awful long time, but in my opinion it's excellent value for money (about £20 a pot, and probably about 20/30 applications worth)
wozza   
Thu Apr 05 2007, 07:09pm

Member No: #2
Its not all about how long it lasts though its about the shine!
Gareth Wales   
Fri Apr 06 2007, 01:14am
Member No: #121
Welshguy wrote ...

I use Poorboys Natty's Blue paste wax. It's specifically designed for dark coloured cars, and it's finish is amazing. Doesn't tend to last any awful long time, but in my opinion it's excellent value for money (about £20 a pot, and probably about 20/30 applications worth)

Auto Express paid £14.99 (227g) and gave it 3/5
"unlike fellow US importers, this lets the wax rather than the polishing do the talking. After a blistering start, it slowed down as the durability tests progressed. a hard-wax formula offsets the highish price"
BigJohnD   
Fri Apr 06 2007, 04:26am

Member No: #82
I've always found Simoniz Diamond Wax and other polymer polishes to be very good.

I've got GardX on at the moment.
Stuey   
Fri Apr 06 2007, 08:04am
Member No: #84
I think tests like that should be taken with a pinch of salt. If you wash your car once a month then the longer lasting stuff is better but if you are weekly like myself then overall shine is better and obviously if you keep applying it the shine will get better...see picture

This was done with AutoGlym super resin polish (2coats) and Meg Tech Wax (2 coats)
RobTuke   
Sat Aug 25 2007, 03:28pm
I use nothing but Autoglym on my car. The polish is called Autoglym Deep shine specially designed for dark colours and new paintwork. Its amazing. The alloy wheel cleaner is also fantastic leaves them gleeming.
tigger   
Sun Aug 26 2007, 11:55am
Well I went shopping for some new polish and a mit rather than sponge (recommended). I came out the shop with Meguiars Deep Crystal system polish and also the wax. Hadn't heard of it before but seemingly it's v popular!!! It's a three stage system but I didn't need the first one as it was for paintwork that has got marks etc. I've now spent the best part of the afternoon polishing and waxing my car and am really pleased with the results. It was as if it had just came out of the showroom!!!!

Rich_Eason   
Sun Aug 26 2007, 12:21pm

Member No: #90
So where are the pics?!

Get them on the Bank Holiday show and shine! - Click Here -
tigger   
Sun Aug 26 2007, 12:58pm
Had a funny feeling this might happen!!!!

I have taken some pics but they didn't come up as well as expected!!! Here goes

tigger   
Sun Aug 26 2007, 01:01pm
Oops!!! put in wrong thread. Sorry!
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Aug 26 2007, 02:01pm

Member No: #1
tigger wrote ...

I'll let you off as that's the first wicked red colour coded spoiler I have seen and it does look good
Welshguy   
Sun Aug 26 2007, 03:49pm
Member No: #77
Looks good Tigger! Dare I say though it's crying out for colour coded skirts!
Rich_Eason   
Sun Aug 26 2007, 04:01pm

Member No: #90
tigger wrote ...

No need to apologise! I just thought being that it is a BH (although not in Scotland?) just thought it would be good to put it in the BH Show and Shine

Diesel Dog   
Mon Jun 23 2008, 05:09pm
I can highly reccomend Pooboy's EX With sealent!! Then a coat of Turtlewax for metallics paste!! Looks the dog's and makes the shine just pop!!
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member