or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Technical Questions

Changing C4 brake light bulb?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Quizking   
Tue Apr 03 2007, 07:54am
Hi, I have a C4 1.6 SX 5 Dr & I've just noticed that the passenger side brake light wasn't working, I had a quick look & removed the reflector part of the light assembly but I can see how you get to the bulb. I didn't want to 'force' my way in!! I know how brittle the lenses are. Can anyone explain how it's done.
Thanks
Rich_Eason   
Tue Apr 03 2007, 08:18am

Member No: #90
Never even looked to see how it is done.

Silly question...what does it say in the manual?
Quizking   
Tue Apr 03 2007, 08:25am
I'm at my work just now & won't have access to the manual till later tonight, just wanted to get it sorted today
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Apr 03 2007, 09:08am

Member No: #1
Quizking wrote ...

Hi, I have a C4 1.6 SX 5 Dr & I've just noticed that the passenger side brake light wasn't working, I had a quick look & removed the reflector part of the light assembly but I can see how you get to the bulb. I didn't want to 'force' my way in!! I know how brittle the lenses are. Can anyone explain how it's done.
Thanks

Well I'm working from home today

so

Edit: BJD beat me to it but as he says the paper is thin and you get feed back from the reverse
flat2themat   
Tue Apr 03 2007, 09:11am
, that was quick Dave!!
BigJohnD   
Tue Apr 03 2007, 09:15am

Member No: #82
I'm on a late lunch. It's chaos here today in the sweatbox…
Rich_Eason   
Tue Apr 03 2007, 09:16am

Why do you have to consult the Citroen dealer to change the high level brake light bulbs...?

How many Citroen dealers does it take to change a lightbulb? Or is secured with a Citroen only special 27pointed star torx bit?

Phoning the dealer
"Hi I'd like to book my car in please...."

"whats the problem sir?"

"I'd like my bulb changed"

Dealer Sniggers |-)

I'd feel daft asking this. its like asking for a long weight or a bubble for a spirit level....
Quizking   
Tue Apr 03 2007, 09:19am
Thanks everyone, impressed with the speed & quality of the response, now to try to change it without breaking anything!
Welshguy   
Tue Apr 03 2007, 12:18pm
Member No: #77
Haven't had a look at the rear lights, but having helped out in the change of the car's front headlights it should be a case of unclipping the bulb holders from the light assembly. I'd have a look and if it's not logical or you dont feel too confident, then it's probably best to book it in with a dealership.
BigJohnD   
Tue Apr 03 2007, 02:14pm

Rich_Eason wrote ...
Why do you have to consult the Citroen dealer to change the high level brake light bulbs...?
I don't suppose you have to, but on the hatch it requires removing three pieces of trim around the inside of the rear screen to gain access to the 4 10mm retaining nuts of the spoiler. After the nuts are removed, there's three plastic retaining clips holding it in place - and the chances are at least one will break when easing the spoiler off - which is still attached by the washer hose and electric cabling.

It's not really a quick roadside replacement.
Rich_Eason   
Tue Apr 03 2007, 03:53pm

So I wonder how this stands up where you are legally required to carry replacement bulbs eg Spain IIRC...?
BigJohnD   
Tue Apr 03 2007, 08:41pm

Rich_Eason wrote ...
So I wonder how this stands up where you are legally required to carry replacement bulbs eg Spain IIRC...?
You want to try and change the front nearside headlight bulb on F**d F*c*s or a Mondeo.

You either remove the entire headlamp unit (not easy) or remove the battery which requires the fuse box to be loosened and moved. A lad at work cocked it up and disabled his security system so that the car wouldn't recognise his key!. The AA took him on a low loader to the Ford dealer who reset the security system.

Halfrauds won't do it, and the Ford dealers charge half an hour plus the bulb, which usually makes a big hole in £40.

http://www.peat.me.uk/2004/08/23/how-many-ford-mechanics-does-it-take-to-change-a-headlight/
Rich_Eason   
Wed Apr 04 2007, 02:39am

Been there and done it twice boths sides and never to do it again Headlamps and sidelights!...I too was a F***s owner.

I sit here typing now thinking that somewhere out there on the UK roads there is a State Blue F***s Ghia driving round with half the skin off the back of my hand under the bonnet.
BigJohnD   
Wed Apr 04 2007, 05:01am

Rich_Eason wrote ...
I sit here typing now thinking that somewhere out there on the UK roads there is a State Blue F***s Ghia driving round with half the skin off the back of my hand under the bonnet.
I bet that's not the only one. There's SWMBO's sliver Zetec too!
Rich_Eason   
Wed Apr 04 2007, 07:12am

Perhaps Ford are slowly imposing a marking scheme to identify Focus owners. All those with no skin on the back of their hands are Foci drivers. laug!
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member