or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 hatch broken rear spring

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
blueclouduk   
Tue Mar 18 2008, 08:11pm
I can just imagine that conversation.

"Er, is that Mr Owner?"

"Yes."

"We've changed the front springs on your car but unfortunately we had to change a couple of smaller parts too."

"Like what?"

"Well we found damage on the windscreen wipers, the spindles, the wiper motor has shorted and there is a crack in the scuttle panel."

"You what ?!?!"

"On the plus side, we can offer you 15% discount on the parts and waive the labour charges."

"That's nice. When did you notice the parts needed replacing?"

And so the arguing starts.........

On a more serious note. I had quite a row with a Skoda dealer over parts. I had booked in my old "Skip" for a service, gearbox replacement (under warranty) and the first MoT.

The service department rang me during the day and asked if I wanted the clutch replacing whilst the gearbox was out of the car. They would only charge me £150 for the clutch kit but no labour. I said no thank you. Turns out that the clutch was replaced as they had damaged the original. I only found out when a friend of a friend of a friend that used to work there told me. I was almost incandescent with rage - the very notion that a company could have the audacity to charge me to replace parts they had broken.

The day got better as when I went to collect the car, they had "forgotten" to do the service and MoT test (with hindsight it was more likely that they had run out of time due to the problems with the gearbox and clutch). I could book it back in for the following week.

The service day came and I took the Skip in for a fixed price service. The Service Manager tried to charge me for replacing indicator bulbs - the old ones were getting pale - a pollen filter, screen wash, a "car protection kit" i.e. the plastic seat covers and paper mats used to stop the grease monkeys from filthying-up my car. I refused point blank to pay a penny over the fixed price. He tried to argue the pollen filter until I pointed out the the service record book makes specific mention of the pollen filter being changed "as standard".

Since that day I have never authorised any repair over the phone nor have I taken a car for service or repairs without an up-front price.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Mar 19 2008, 09:50am

Member No: #1
Well I didn't need the wiper arms at £30 + Vat each - they came off eventually (just as well as they are 'special order' not stock)

A dealer didn't do the car, James at Tints 'N' Tweaks did it

He actually worked until 10.00 pm last night and I got the car back this morning transformed.

The difference in handling is simply amazing.

I didn't want to post until I had the car back with the upgraded springs so I had a fair comparison but I had a Vectra SRi as the hire car yesterday to go to Wigan, 6 months old with 13,000 miles running on 235 X 30 X 19 Continentals and that could really corner - the C4 is now a match for it even though it's running 215 X 45 X 17 'Admirals' (Kumo basically)

But the C4 remapped 110 HDi fares better on the motorway as the SRi 5th gear is to high and lacks any punch at 60 and above - the C4 doesn't, it just pulls away when asked

Plus the SRi rattled, had more engine noise and the radio/sound was pants compared to the RD4 - SO Stop complaining everyone

Oh and managed 32.4 mpg against my 48.7 norm so the C4 wins hands down

The final bill, well £130 for the spring set + 3.5 hours labour to fit + Vat = £268.84 and worth every penny

Here are the before and after shots - the difference really isn't that much but the handling - wow

[shadowbox=http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/attachment/1/1298137854_1_FT26078_before.jpg|::||]http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/attachment/1/1298137854_1_FT26078_before_.jpg[/shadowbox]

Lowered 30mm front and 25mm rear with variable rate springs

[shadowbox=http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/attachment/1/1298137854_1_FT26078_lowered.jpg|::||]http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/attachment/1/1298137854_1_FT26078_lowered_.jpg[/shadowbox]

KarlosDaJackal   
Wed Mar 19 2008, 10:12am
Nice pics, It looks great
wozza   
Wed Mar 19 2008, 11:23am

Member No: #2
It will probably end up sitting slightly lower still once the springs bed in as well.

Does look nice though and good to hear that it has made the handling and ride quality better.

SO when it comes times to swapping the dampers they going to get uprated as well?
BigJohnD   
Wed Mar 19 2008, 11:30am

Member No: #82
That's terrific, Dave. And good news about the wipers.

(And I can vouch for Vauxhall radios being pretty poor, too.)
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Mar 19 2008, 11:55am

wozza wrote ...

It will probably end up sitting slightly lower still once the springs bed in as well.

Does look nice though and good to hear that it has made the handling and ride quality better.

SO when it comes times to swapping the dampers they going to get uprated as well?

ATM there is no need to uprate the dampers wozza - there sound and working well and according to James cause very few issues on a C4 (unless you get a faulty one from new) so am leaving them alone
wozza   
Wed Mar 19 2008, 12:22pm

Just remember you saying you were thinking of doing them as well. So was just curious if you had plans for them also in the future.

Think mine needs to visit the dealers again heard a grating sound coming from the rear when going over bumps so am guessing it is the suspension or the exhaust not quite hung properly not had the chance ot get under and have a look yet though.

Just typical though only just come out of the dealers and now has to go back in again.
flat2themat   
Wed Mar 19 2008, 02:44pm
Looks very well, definately the way they should come out of the factory IMO.
Ham   
Wed Mar 19 2008, 04:43pm

Member No: #69
looks nice Dave ,
the trouble now is that Toms going to go into Stuey mode and nag me about getting mine lowered now
wozza   
Wed Mar 19 2008, 07:25pm

How could you guess I was about to start nagging you?

Some nice Eibach coil overs so you can adjust the height when you have the trailer on. Would go down well...It needs lowering on those wheels now hop to it.

Stuey   
Thu Mar 20 2008, 02:49am
Member No: #84
what do you mean Wozza is going into Stuey mode?? Stuey is going into Stuey mode!! now like the man says hop to it!! oh and while you are at it I have a set of Nightbreakers that need fitting...kettles on!
Rich_Eason   
Thu Mar 20 2008, 03:28am

Member No: #90
At first glance I thought Dave had fitted some natty custom spoiler at the bottom of the rear window on the hatch lid...then realised it was the window of the house behind

Stuey   
Thu Mar 20 2008, 11:43am
Member No: #84
concussion from the boot lid incident finally catches up with Rich
war/vts   
Mon Aug 04 2008, 09:59am
I think i have the same problem, does anyone know if the spring can be removed with a spring compressor without taking off the shock absorber??
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Aug 04 2008, 10:40am

war/vts wrote ...

I think i have the same problem, does anyone know if the spring can be removed with a spring compressor without taking off the shock absorber??

Your going to have to remove one of the Shock absober fastenings to get it off
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member