or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 hatch broken rear spring

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Mar 16 2008, 10:43am

Member No: #1
Well I went to the paper shop this a.m. and pulled out of the junction at my estate at around 5mph - turning right

There was a loud bang which reverberated inside the body shell and made me stop immediately to take a look as I had no idea what is was

I had a good look around but could see nothing, nada, zip and so I carefully tried everything and the car seem OK

Went to the paper shop and could hear a metallic rattle at times

This p.m. I jacked the car up and had a better look and found this lying on the rear axle:

Yep the rear nearside (passenger) spring had broken where it seats on the rear axle - the very end bit of the coil

If you look at the image at the bottom right you can see what appears to be a fault in the actual spring

Look like I need a new pair of rear springs then
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Mar 16 2008, 02:04pm

blueclouduk wrote ...

You better not be bringing the Pug to Scotland fella.

1. - depends IF I can find someone to change them this week - as it's only 4 days due to Easter - I'm supposed to be going to Wigan tomorrow ight but not going to risk it in the C4 with a dodgy spring so may have to hire something

2. - Doesn't really need lowering or a sportier ride TBF as I do a lot of Dual Carriageway / Motorway driving however I might change the shockers as well as the springs as @ 72,000 the shockers may well be getting to the end of their useful life
BigJohnD   
Sun Mar 16 2008, 04:49pm

Member No: #82
That's nasty, Dave. I wouldn't fancy drinving around with a partly located rear wheel. Hope you can get it fixed soon.

A new set of shockers will improve the handling and steering for certain.
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Mar 16 2008, 04:53pm

Local driving at 30 mph should be OK but I was supposed to go to Wigan tomorrow night - that's off in the C4 for sure
Diesel Dog   
Sun Mar 16 2008, 07:56pm
Ouch mate sorry to see this if i lived closer id come and give you a hand changing em
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Mar 17 2008, 05:21am

c4owner wrote ...

Local driving at 30 mph should be OK but I was supposed to go to Wigan tomorrow night - that's off in the C4 for sure

OK been convinced on the merits of new springs all around and ordered a set of Eibach Pro Kit springs which will lower the car 35mm and 30mm - didn't want to go lower as I have wider tyres than spec fitted

James from Tints 'N' Tweaks is going to fit them, hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday so will be at the Scotland meet

James also confirmed that the Citroen shockers are very reliable and said they wouldn't need changing

Oh and I have to go to Wigan so had to hire a car - will drive down in the morning though and back same day - getting a Mondeo or Vectra so will have something to compare the C4 against
AlanMC   
Mon Mar 17 2008, 06:37am
Good to hear you will be able to make the Scotland meet.

Being nosy, how much for the new springs?
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Mar 17 2008, 06:42am

AlanMC wrote ...

Good to hear you will be able to make the Scotland meet.

Being nosy, how much for the new springs?

err... £30 more than Spax is all I know but around £140 the set of 4 + 2 hours labour to fit - will let you know the accurate figures when it's done and you can see the difference on Saturday

THing is that according to Eibach my braking distance and MPG will improve!
AlanMC   
Mon Mar 17 2008, 08:07am
Now that was interesting, never thought that one make of springs would help increase mpg and even speed and also breaking distance more than another make before.
Rich_Eason   
Mon Mar 17 2008, 08:22am

Member No: #90
c4owner wrote ...

Now I can see how your breaking distances would improve, but MPG and by that percentage?!

I would have thought if you removed the shocks and allowed the car to bounce and bound between bump to bump, you could cover greater distances and thus increase your MPG (assuming your not flooring the accelerator at lift off)...As all great engineering innovations, this feat was inspired by Kangaroos...Patent Pending
BigJohnD   
Mon Mar 17 2008, 08:28am

Rich_Eason wrote ...
Now I can see how your breaking distances would improve, but MPG and by that percentage?!
By being generally more efficient - less sliding about in corners, more efficient transfer of power to the road, lowered profile may knock a bit off the drag… it all helps.
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Mar 17 2008, 08:51am

Rich_Eason wrote ...

c4owner wrote ...

I would have thought if you removed the shocks and allowed the car to bounce and bound between bump to bump, you could cover greater distances and thus increase your MPG (assuming your not flooring the accelerator at lift off)...As all great engineering innovations, this feat was inspired by Kangaroos...Patent Pending

You sound sceptical rich?

I am as well and don't believe all I read but thought it an interesting marketing concept - however IF it improved mpg you would need to do a lot of miles to recoup the initial outlay if that's all you bought them for
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Mar 18 2008, 05:36pm

Got some good news - the springs arrived today and the rears are fitted

But...

As ever things aren't always so simple. The fronts require the wiper arms removed and the scuttle panel to get access to the top of the struts. but their seized on - alloy and steel don't mix.

James has tried to get them off but is concerned they might break as it has happened before on a Citroen he was working on.

So

We have to check tomorrow IF wiper arms are available from stock and not on back order before trying a bit of brute force (a good does of penatratining oill has been applied for an overnight soak)

That way if one breaks it can be replaced so the car isn't off the road all Easter weekend awaiting more parts.

Hey Ho we will get there eventually
FRAN   
Tue Mar 18 2008, 05:54pm
Member No: #1611
Just by the car sitting lower it will reduce drag and up MPG.

I don't believe that % though...

Fran
BigJohnD   
Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:37pm

c4owner wrote ...
As ever things aren't always so simple. The fronts require the wiper arms removed and the scuttle panel to get access to the top of the struts. but their seized on - alloy and steel don't mix.
Imagine getting a phone call from your dealer - "We may need to order a new set of wipers arms so we can change the front coil springs without delay".
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member