or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Technical Questions

2016 C4 TPMS Warning Light Reset?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
DonXabi   
Wed Nov 30 2022, 06:07am
Member No: #60283
Had the TMPS warning light flash up yesterday to say the LHF tyre had low pressure.........it wasn't. This morning it flashed up again to say the LH AND the RHF tyres were both low on pressure. I have checked the pressure on all four wheels, all are as per spec......so how do I re-set the warning light?

Looking around here, seems to be various ideas, the main one being that they SHOULD re-set automatically when the pressures are correct?? If so, and they don't re-set.........is it a dealer issue to re-set them?
vexorg   
Wed Nov 30 2022, 07:39am
Member No: #48843
What type of system is it?
Measures the pressure, or measures the wheel speed?
DonXabi   
Wed Nov 30 2022, 07:45am
I would assume pressure as it states that, in the first instance, the LHF, was low tyre pressure.

How do you tell the difference to what it measures? Historically I've only known TPMS to measure the tyre pressure.
routemaster1   
Wed Nov 30 2022, 12:47pm
Member No: #574
The standard indirect TPMS does not indicate which tyre is low. There is no reason why it shouldn't, as my new non-Citroen car has indirect TPMS and it does indicate which tyre is low. It would only require some simple software mods. It is easy to reset the indirect system via the menus, but I don't know about direct. It should tell you in a manual, if you don't have one you may be able to find something on-line.
DonXabi   
Thu Dec 01 2022, 03:30am
Thanks - there is no mention in the manual about re-setting it and nothing in the menus therefore I assume it would re-set when the tyre pressures are correct, but it still comes on suggesting that the issue is elsewhere - or potentially both valves are faulty - it has only happened since the temperature dropped over night, but that might just be coincidental.

If anything, both fronts are now slightly over inflated - so I'll get them spot on as per the manual and see if that cures it.
vexorg   
Thu Dec 01 2022, 03:50am
Member No: #48843
That's why how it measures matters. If it is direct, then the wheel has a pressure sensor in it, these are battery powered and need replaced after several years. The sensor then transmits this to a receiver on the car near the wheel.

The indirect method looks at the individual wheel speeds form the ABS and based on the steering can work out what the correct wheel speed should be, so if that's not working right then it would be more difficult to pinpoint. Usually the ABS would throw up faults first.
DonXabi   
Thu Dec 01 2022, 03:52am
That could make sense - maybe the cold weather has finally killed the batteries off...........
DeuxChevaux   
Thu Dec 01 2022, 10:41am
Member No: #16472
With the direct system if it throws a warning it says somewhere (handbook?) that a reset is achieved by driving the car at over 50 mph for 15 mins. I have never had a low pressure warning but have a spare wheel and tyre and if this is put on or new tyres are fitted and the wheel goes back with its new tyre to a different location I get a warning that will not go away until I have driven about 3 miles away from where I live at about 50 mph. Mine is a 2015 car, my wifes is a 2016. With hers we have never had any warnings with new tyres or wheels swapped at all. Don't know what system is on her car though.
1 User said Thank You to DeuxChevaux for this Post :
 DonXabi (01 Dec 2022 : 10:46)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member