or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

HAND BRAKE FAIL.... Help please???

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Nickyc53   
Sat Jul 23 2022, 05:50am
Member No: #20541
So I swapped my 07 diesel C4GP for a petrol 07 model to comply with Ulez

It's completely died on me twice in fast lane on M25 but garage can't find a fault (non Citroen garage so no access to full diagnostics)

It settled down after an MOT with new back discs/pads and discs

Yesterday I had an array of lights on dashboard - EPS, API, Service, etc and faulty hand brake red traingle message on screen

And now the handbrake isn't working at all so the car is almost unusable. I have wheel chocks and a son!

'Chocks away'

I'm skint and terrified of visiting my Citroen dealer but it may have come to that.

I see there's a replaceable switch. Is that likely to solve it?

Grateful for any advice or decent mechanic recommendations in West London area

Ap0qalypto   
Sat Jul 23 2022, 06:34am
Member No: #52161
I would assume that handbreak switch is faulty. It is something that you can change on your own. Handbrake system is hardly faulty, since they are very reliable.
Nickyc53   
Thu Sep 15 2022, 09:33am
Member No: #20541
Thanks for the reply, sorry for my delay.

I took car to delaer who managed to come up with a repair bill of £5,500

They want £1,300 to fix the hand brake issue - apparently there is a fault int he brake assembl that needs a £900 part

I will try to get one second hand and fitted - knwo any good C4 mechanics?
Ap0qalypto   
Thu Sep 15 2022, 02:36pm
Member No: #52161
5000 pounds? Dang, they are 100% sure that is not a simple hand brake switch? Fuse in BSM or BSM itself? I never heard in my surroundings that any C4 Picasso owner changed hand break system. But couple of them did change that switch. 5 500 is rip-off, how much is a car worth then? Unbelievable price from my view
Farmerguy   
Thu Sep 15 2022, 04:48pm
Member No: #59597
Did you pay to get it fixed?

Hell i bought mine for less than 5000£, and I'm danish!!! ( Tax hell )

I had my switch go like some thing broke in side of it, when i got it out, it had broken one of the ears, i rigged it so it worked, and bought a new one, it also lighted up some lights in the dash. I think i payed less than 50£ from Poland for a new original switch.

I had been working alot with the motor unit. It didn't fail.
The system is the switch, via BSI to the handbrake unit with its own can bus computer, and the cable to the rear, if the cables are bad it might also throw a code and light up.

I tried to calibrate mine via autocom diagnostic, and it had all the lights on -- then i overhauled the calibers, and new cables, from motorunit under front left seat, and the one to the caliber meeting the other at the middle of the suspension beam. Calibrated again and everything ok.
vexorg   
Fri Sep 16 2022, 06:14am
Member No: #48843
Check the battery is ok, a failing battery creates lots of similar issues.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member