or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso (B78) General Questions

Start-stop function permanently off

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
delyan.dilkov   
Wed May 25 2022, 11:47pm
Member No: #59704
Dear all,
Being a proud owner of a C4GP 2016 (2.0 Blue HDI, 150 Hp) I've been struggling for a while to find out how to switch this [%*^#@!] thing permanently off but so far I need to do it after each and every start of engine. Off seems to be the default option. If not engine would stop at every traffic light which is a bit of a drag. Anyone had this piece of struggle before? Any ideas?
Regards,
Delyan
gittos   
Wed May 25 2022, 11:53pm
Member No: #30055
Unfortunately the stop start cannot be permanently turned off, the only way to do it ,as you say, is to turn it off after each engine start.
1 User said Thank You to gittos for this Post :
 delyan.dilkov (26 May 2022 : 00:01)
delyan.dilkov   
Thu May 26 2022, 12:01am
Thanks, Gittos.
Regards
Ap0qalypto   
Thu May 26 2022, 12:51am
Member No: #52161
When battery power gets worse, start-stop will stop functioning.
wunny   
Thu May 26 2022, 09:38am
Member No: #42824
When I bought mine, stop start was permanently off from new. The software had not been installed during manufacture.

All the software had to be re-installed for it to work, but that only lasted a few months. I suspected the battery, but was always told the battery was good by the dealer.

So for over six years, no stop start (unless the battery was at maximum charge) until what looked like complete battery failure, but was in fact fuse box failure, but initially I bought a new battery.

I now have stop start and love it! The engine restarts as soon as the clutch is depressed and before I can engage 1st gear / reverse. Seamless in operation.

I always knew it was the battery and I suspect that as the Stop Start was not installed during the build, a non stop start battery was installed, which stopped it from working unless it was at maximum charge.

So the simple answer to stop it working may be to install a non stop start battery.

I can't see why anyone with a manual gearbox wouldn't like it, but I understand that there can be a lag with automatics, which could be annoying.
delyan.dilkov   
Thu May 26 2022, 11:44am
Thank you very much for your answers, guys.
Yes, my vehicle operates an automatic gear box and it is a bit annoying all this start-and-stop thing. Unfortunately battery is essential and I cannot afford using a half-dead one just to have the function not working.
Such a shame users were not given the chance to choose a permanent option.
Regards to everyone
Richard_C   
Fri May 27 2022, 02:43pm
Member No: #46470
There is good reason. Car manufacturers have to meet certain emission and more recently fuel consumption standards accross their range. The ways to achieve this are things like catalysts, eolys, blue Hdi and stop start. Stop start helps manyfacturers acheive the required standards and cars are tested with stop start functioning so they can't allow users to turn it off permanently.

I can't imagine why anyone would want it off in normal use, air quality is bad enough as it is and the more cars turn their engines off in standing traffic the better. The half a second you gain by a quick getaway comes at the expense of a few more particles headed towards somebody's house, garden, lungs.

Normally a tug on the steering wheel will bring the engine to life if you want an early restart.
delyan.dilkov   
Sat May 28 2022, 12:27am
Dear Richard,
I clearly see your point. I personally live in a capital city and polluted air is the last thing I'd want for my kids. On the other hand I have serious doubts that bad emissions saved during the stop mode are actually less that the ones we give away during ignition of engine. Actually, they may turn out much more. Faster killing the battery and starting mechanism of the vehicle are additional reasons why I asked my humble question.
Anyway, thanks everyone for your kind replies.
vexorg   
Sat May 28 2022, 04:02am
Member No: #48843
Well, the new juke has a co2 counter on the dash telling you how much co2 is saved when the engine is off in stop-start.

And the newer stop start systems supposidly dont use a battery, they recover energy and store it in a super cap. Which doesn't make total sense as the stop start batteries are always more expensive.
1 User said Thank You to vexorg for this Post :
 delyan.dilkov (28 May 2022 : 04:14)
routemaster1   
Sun May 29 2022, 02:13am
Member No: #574
Richard_C wrote ...

Normally a tug on the steering wheel will bring the engine to life if you want an early restart.

This may be true on some cars. Our 16 reg 1.6HDi C3 did this, as does our current 1.2 C3 110bhp petrol. Both of these cars only stop te engine at stationary and restsrt when they just start to roll. However, our now departed 2.0HDI C4GP manual was different. It would stop the engine in neutral with your foot off the clutch anywhere below 12mph and wouldn;t restart when rolling until ~12mph achieved, and whilst stationary you could spin the wheel from lock to lock without a restart.
vexorg   
Sun May 29 2022, 04:29am
Member No: #48843
routemaster1 wrote ...

whilst stationary you could spin the wheel from lock to lock without a restart.

Spin maybe optimistic unless you are the hulk
routemaster1   
Sun May 29 2022, 05:59am
Member No: #574
vexorg wrote ...

routemaster1 wrote ...

whilst stationary you could spin the wheel from lock to lock without a restart.

Spin maybe optimistic unless you are the hulk

As a driver of 50s London double-deck buses with no power steering, perhaps I am the hulk!
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 Ap0qalypto (29 May 2022 : 10:56)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member