or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

General question about cheap tyres

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
bradmca   
Tue Sep 07 2021, 04:16am
Member No: #42533
So I have 3 Michelin primacy tyres on my grand Picasso, superb tyres but a little pricy, so thought I would stick a £60 Rotalla tyre on after a series of punctures and see if it's any worse which the only obvious difference is in the time it takes the Michelin tyres to go from 2.5 bar to 2.3 the new Rotalla will drop to 1.85 bar with no apparent puncture from soapy water testing and a look around for signs of damage to the tyre of valve, this has been the case since I got it.

What are your thoughts on pressure retention of a cheap vs pricy tyre?
trev h   
Wed Sep 08 2021, 03:27am
Member No: #10864
My 2 front tyres used to lose a couple of pounds each week found out it was due to corrosion on the inside of the rims even a good clean & using seam sealant didn't cure it, just pump them up every week, rather than spending £60 on a cheap tyre if you had looked in marketplace iv'e got a brand new michelin tyre & rim for sale cheaper than your cheap rotalla, depending on size of course.
BigJohnD   
Wed Sep 08 2021, 05:53am

Member No: #82
Yes, avoid cheap tyres.

Why not ask the the tyre fitter to check your wheel next time you're getting tyre?
routemaster1   
Wed Sep 08 2021, 08:02am
Member No: #574
I had an issue with a tyre slowly deflating without me being able to find the leak. Took it to a tyre fitter who found it was caused by one of the little stickers on the baed of the tyre having split and air leaking up the channel. Removed the sticker and all was well.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 bradmca (08 Sep 2021 : 08:19)
vexorg   
Fri Sep 10 2021, 02:56am
Member No: #48843
Usually nothing to do with the tyre, will be the rim seal or valve.

I can never understand how some cheap tyres can be legal. Or the logic of skrimping £30 - £40 on a tyre against their life and a £10k - £20k car.
1 User said Thank You to vexorg for this Post :
 BigJohnD (10 Sep 2021 : 04:48)
DeuxChevaux   
Sat Sep 11 2021, 04:37pm
Member No: #16472
vexorg wrote ...

Usually nothing to do with the tyre, will be the rim seal or valve.

I can never understand how some cheap tyres can be legal. Or the logic of skrimping £30 - £40 on a tyre against their life and a £10k - £20k car.

Agreed - nothing to do with the make of tyre, just the rim, tyre valve rubber or schraeder valve.

Tyres - I always go for named brands from a supplier like camskill and get them fitted by a local tyre fitter, save a lot of money and give you safe tyres
- Click Here -
BigJohnD   
Sun Sep 12 2021, 06:00am

Member No: #82
Over recent years I've been getting my tyres from Costco. They sell only Michelin and Continental, and frequently have offers on top of their usual rock bottom prices. Their fitters are good.
tomandjo2   
Mon Sep 13 2021, 03:22pm
Member No: #20851
Alloy wheels are extremelly pourous if the laquer starts to bubble/come off.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member