or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

Suck oil out

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Westentertainer   
Wed Jul 28 2021, 04:29pm
Member No: #54545
My 2015 grand picaso needs an oil change, I took it to local garage on last oil change and they snapped the drain nut. After playing hell they repaired it but I’m afraid to remove it again . My question is has any one used a oil siphon on the picaso. Ie does the pipe fit down the oil stick hole. Any advise would be great. Regards
DeuxChevaux   
Thu Jul 29 2021, 03:02am
Member No: #16472
I haven't had a Picasso but I have had most of the engines that go in it in other cars. I have used an oil pump of the very cheap type bought from Lidl and I have to say it works very well. Some cars, can't remember which, required a narrower tube than supplied so I substituted some horticultural irrigation pipe to do those which made the job take a little longer but worked ok. Most cars allow you to take a proportion of oil out of the dipstick tube itself which saves time. My main reason for doing it was to save having to get the undertray off. My current car (DS4) requires the undertray to come off to remove the oil filter (also my wifes 1.2 DS3) so I haven't used the pump in a while but would if I could do so.
vexorg   
Thu Jul 29 2021, 03:19am
Member No: #48843
That's why I replaced the undertray bolts with greased stainless bolts and new captive nuts, no issue in the last few changes with it.

To the OP, how did they repair it?
Either they would have replaced the sump, or got one of these repair kits that tap it next size up and supplly a new larger threaded bolt.
BigJohnD   
Thu Jul 29 2021, 04:11am

Member No: #82
Actually, oil removal by suction is not recommended on diesel engines by Citroën.
- Click Here -

Your best option is to change the oil more frequently, say every 10,000km/6,250miles.
Wutang   
Thu Jul 29 2021, 06:53am
Member No: #46858
Mine is on a service contract with citroen but I periodicaly suction out the old oil and replace, never had a problem.

Make sure the oil is warm. I used to use a vacume pump type (pela 6000 I think.) but now have a 12v one that is better, fits the dip tube on my 2.0 blue HDI, the wifes 3008 1.6 hdi and my MG TF 160. Used on them all with no issues at all.

Richard
vexorg   
Thu Jul 29 2021, 08:00am
The official line for the 2.0HDi is 2 years or 20,000 miles, which is far too long.
danlat1415   
Thu Jul 29 2021, 09:51am
Member No: #48933
I have been syphoning my oil changes for the last 4 years and I've never had any issues.
I have a 1.6 diesel e-HDI semi automatic C4 Picasso B78 Exclusive.

I have a Katsu 481509
I got it for £32.99 (inc postage) from Aimtools, but that was 4 years ago.
It's currently £38.99 + postage
- Click Here -

It's also available on Amazon.
- Click Here -

It's a very easy hand pump suction syphon.
It comes with about 4 different thickness tubes. They connect either to each other (to make long) or to the main body of the device.

For me, the smallest thickness tube goes down into the dipstick hole, and goes right to the bottom of the oil-pan.
You then next to connect another tube to that one so it will then reach out of the engine bay to the main body

You then use the handle to hand pump up and down several times and it creates a vacuum inside the main body, causing it to create suction through the pipes and suck out the oil.

I do this until it starts to get just air (after most of the oil has drained.
I then leave the engine for 10-20 minutes for any remaining oil to slowly drop the the bottom of the oil-pan and then suction the rest out.

When removing the oil filter (whilst waiting the 10-20 minutes as above), I also use the suction pipe in the oil filter hole to suck out any dribbles that remain in the filter area before replacing with a new filter.

I definitely prefer sucking the oil out instead of a standard oil change.
Run the engine up to temperature, park on your drive, open the bonnet and get to work.

No need to jack the car up, get underneath or get messy with unscrewing the oil-pan bolt and draining the oil into a tray, then having to dispose of it cleanly.

With the oil suction pump, there is no hassle, mess or tools needed.
It sucks the oil into a 9 litre container, which is sealed, and has a pooring lid, so you can take the container to your local oil disposal location and poor the oil out. Completely no mess or hassle at all.
routemaster1   
Thu Jul 29 2021, 11:55am
Member No: #574
The issue with oil changes was particularly for earlier 1.6HDi engines with the 12500 mile service interval. Incomplete removal of oil was reputed to cause issues with oil supply to the turbo, causing turbo failure, and aspirating the oil was certainly not recommended. Some time about 2013, the oil supply pipes were redesigned, and at that time the service interval was extended to 16000 miles. Coincidentally, we now hardly ever get reports of turbo failure on newer cars.
Westentertainer   
Thu Jul 29 2021, 11:57am
Member No: #54545
Thank you all for the input.
DeuxChevaux   
Fri Jul 30 2021, 03:16am
Member No: #16472
BigJohnD wrote ...

Actually, oil removal by suction is not recommended on diesel engines by Citroën.
- Click Here -

Hi John - who is the author of that documnet, do you know? It does not appear to have any Citroen markings on it. With that engine because of the way the sump plug was in an upward dished area I found I could get another half litre of oil out after draining by using the sump plug. It was always an issue with that engine that you could not drain all the oil by normal means but I am mystified as to why it says - do not use suction methods - without explanation
vexorg   
Fri Jul 30 2021, 03:32am
My only concern with using the suction method is how can you be sure you've got it all out. At least with the sump plug you know you get almost all of it out.
danlat1415   
Fri Jul 30 2021, 07:32am
Member No: #48933
With the suction method, you can see how much comes out.

For example, my 1.6 e-HDI has a sump capacity of 3.75l
Whereas when I use the suction method, about 4l comes out.
So personally, I get more out with the suction method which is why I use it.

With the pump that I linked to above, it has a container as part of it, so you can see it fill up and the measurement of what comes out.
Also, but going in via the dip stick hole, you get to the bottom of the sump.

Just remember to leave it 10-20 minutes after you've initially drained it, to allow any extra residue to sink to the bottom and get extra out.
skorpion   
Fri Jul 30 2021, 08:16am
Member No: #55124
I use the suction method at my 6 month oil change, (low mileage use)
on my C4 1.6 hdi the tube gets right down to the sump.

12 month service at a Garage but not sure presumably they drain from underneath, though if the drain plug is like my previous Citroen's
where the plug is recessed I cannot see how you can get all the oil out of the sump that way.
BigJohnD   
Fri Jul 30 2021, 12:42pm

Member No: #82
DeuxChevaux wrote ...

BigJohnD wrote ...

- Click Here -

Hi John - who is the author of that documnet, do you know? It does not appear to have any Citroen markings on it. With that engine because of the way the sump plug was in an upward dished area I found I could get another half litre of oil out after draining by using the sump plug. It was always an issue with that engine that you could not drain all the oil by normal means but I am mystified as to why it says - do not use suction methods - without explanation

The document is from Citroën. It's a page from service guidance to dealers.

- Click Here - This was posted by Phil who is a Citroen technician.
vexorg   
Fri Jul 30 2021, 01:38pm
Run the engine for about minute to get the oil light off???
I'd be worried after 5 seconds after an oil change.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member