or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

Knocking noise when driving

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Coll659   
Tue May 25 2021, 01:02pm
Member No: #58220
Hi all.

First of all hello to everyone, I'm a new C4 owner so nice to see a good community here.

I have a c4 grand Picasso which has a very annoying knocking noise while driving. I took a video so you can hear the noise which I will try to upload to the post but not sure if I can. The noise comes when going over bumps and sound like a metal clunking noise. When I rock the car side to side I can hear it, but not when I rock the car front to back (pushing down on front of car so it goes up and down evenly without side to side movement of that makes sense). I have to rock it quite a bit before I hear the noise but when driving I get it almost all the time unless the road is very smooth. It feels like it's been getting worse but could be me being paranoid. Makes no difference if I am in gear or out, coasting or on throttle, turning either way or going straight etc. And when I rock it, it doesn't sound any louder from one side to the other. Its quite loud even in car and sounds like it's coming from down near my feet area.

A long shot I realise but if anyone has any idea where to start looking it would be great. I'm no mechanic but fairly handy with cars although limited with tools just now.

Also I doubt it has anything to do with it but just in case I am always getting a bunch of faults for abs, handbrake, esp etc. A code reader detected the front left abs sensor fault, I quickly cleaned up the abs ring and the fault disappeared for quite a while but now its back and happens every time I drive now. Like I say I think this is completely separate but just in case it has something to do with it.

The car :
2007 C4 Grand Picasso, 1.6 diesel.
routemaster1   
Tue May 25 2021, 01:28pm
Member No: #574
If you do have a video, you will not be able to upload to the site, but you can upload to Youtube and copy and paste a link.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 Coll659 (25 May 2021 : 13:46)
Coll659   
Tue May 25 2021, 01:45pm
Thanks routemaster.

I uploaded the video and here is the link.

Just in case it matters the video was taken from phone placed on near side wheel (which quickly fell off to the near side ground).
gittos   
Tue May 25 2021, 04:48pm
Member No: #30055
Could be a broken spring
Coll659   
Tue May 25 2021, 11:48pm
Spring was one of my first thoughts, just looking at them I can't see any breaks but maybe they can be broken in place I can't see? I guess to find out it's a case of removing each spring?
Coll659   
Wed May 26 2021, 03:32am
I had a better look at the springs and they seem fine. The noise sounds like it's coming from further in, like below the engine somewhere. I'm wondering about ball joints on suspension arms or so something (from limited knowledge here so sorry if I'm using wrong terms). Would this sound likely?
vexorg   
Fri May 28 2021, 03:52am
Member No: #48843
Unlikely to be a spring, they normally have the weight of the car hold them in place when you try stuff.

If it is suspension then it sounds pretty bad, loose arb or lower arm.

Best thing to do is get someone to rock the car and get under the car to find the source if it is that bad.
GPGeorge   
Mon Jun 07 2021, 05:07pm
Member No: #44097
Bottom arm inner bushes where the bottom arms are bolted into the subframe.
Coll659   
Tue Jun 08 2021, 12:28am
Thanks for the replies. I'm the weekend ill get it up on axle stands and take a look at those
Coll659   
Sun Jun 13 2021, 07:14am
So looks like it is the wishbone bushes which have gone. Obviously worn and when I put a screw driver in and wiggle up and down I hear the knocking. So for any one else who has the same noise then I would check them. I'm going to order up new wish bones to replace, any tips or anything I need to know before doing it?
GPGeorge   
Sun Jun 13 2021, 08:57am
Member No: #44097
you need to take the driveshafts out of the hub to do these, the front bolt of the wishbone sits right under the driveshaft so you cant lift the bolt out with the driveshaft in place, dont take them out of the gearbox just lift the shafts out of the way.
Coll659   
Sun Jun 13 2021, 09:47am
Ah thanks for the info. I noticed there was a large bolt at end of driveshaft in the hub, it was bigger than any of my sockets. Any one happen to remember what size it is? I'm guessing about a 30mm
vexorg   
Sun Jun 13 2021, 01:13pm
Member No: #48843
30mm is common for the driveshaft nut, and they are usually very very tight.

You may be able to do the citroen arms without taking the driveshft out, the ball joint is upside down on the citrien, so the lower arm should come away without needing to move the hub.
Coll659   
Mon Jun 14 2021, 12:44am
Thanks. Looks like the issue is the inner bolt that you can't pull out without lifting up driveshaft but I will find out when I do it. From what I can find it looks like it's maybe a 36mm on the driveshaft so I've got one coming along with a 600mm breaker bar, hopefully that will be enough to get it off and on ok.
Datadogie   
Mon Jun 14 2021, 01:22pm
Member No: #58219
I was just watching this today. Looks a simple job. But why when he pull the driveshafts is there not a pool of oil.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member