or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

C4 GP EX 2010 1.6HDi - Transmission / Gearbox oil fill up

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
robertl   
Mon Apr 05 2021, 02:11pm
Member No: #57205
Hello again!
When changing front springs I managed to move the drive shaft out of the gearbox ---> oil on the ground.

I want to top it of and thought a good idea would be to do it from the level-plug since I don't know how much oil ended up on the ground - and it would be nice not having to tree remove the battery and its housing.

But where do I find the level plug? I've read everything I could find on the
forum.. But without luck.

After loosening the 3 bolts on the right in the picture attached I didn't know where to look.

Anyone that can point me in the right direction?

robertl   
Tue Apr 06 2021, 07:46am
Ok so I reached out to my local Citroen garage.

No level plug on this gearbox.. which explains why I couldn't find it!

Will drain the gearbox and fill it up with 2.1 litres of new fresh 75W-80 GL4!

So that's that

I'll make an update after it's been done how things went. This car has 20000 km on it, and most likely never had a gearbox oil change. So we'll see if the only thing holding this gearbox together is the old oil...
routemaster1   
Tue Apr 06 2021, 08:08am
Member No: #574
robertl wrote ...

So that's that

I'll make an update after it's been done how things went. This car has 20000 km on it, and most likely never had a gearbox oil change. So we'll see if the only thing holding this gearbox together is the old oil...

It is very unlikely that this car has had an oil change as the gearboxes are filled for life. I know some like to change the oil, but I doubt if anyone would do one as early as 20000km.
BigJohnD   
Tue Apr 06 2021, 08:48am

Member No: #82
robertl wrote ...

So that's that

20.000Km? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
vexorg   
Tue Apr 06 2021, 11:12am
Member No: #48843
Barely run in, maybe a typo, 200,000km would be worth it.
robertl   
Tue Apr 06 2021, 03:42pm
200000 km yes! A typo indeed!

A bit scary yes. But since an uncertain amount ended up on the floor I don't see that I have much of a choice! I need to make sure I have the right amount of oil. I could of course reuse the old oil and just add the right amount to it... I'll se how the old oil looks when I get there.

Got stuck tonight when I relaized I needed a square driver. 7-9mm. Not sure. So I need to get me one of those.
vexorg   
Wed Apr 07 2021, 04:20am
Just drain it and fill it with the required amount. Citroen dont seem to bother with fill plugs now.

On mine (6 speed DS4) the drain plug is half cover by the subframe, that involved the grinder and modifying a big allen key to undo it.
robertl   
Sun Apr 11 2021, 02:56pm
So I removed the battery and its housing in order to get easy access to the filling hole on top of the gearbox.
The fact one of the screws that holds the tray for the battery is only accessible from the wheel house, after you remove the inner screen.. Its just wrong

Got the tool I needed to remove the drain plug. 8mm square drive.

Added 2.1 litres of 75w-80 GL4

vexorg   
Mon Apr 12 2021, 03:32am
Nive work. Looks easier than the DS4.
I'll need to do mine again soon, looks like I've got a slight leak on the driveshaft seal.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member