or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Ice and Satnav questions

Radio defaulting to 87.5MHz instead of the station I was listening to last

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
markslavin   
Thu Apr 01 2021, 04:39am
Member No: #55479
This has only started happening a few days ago. I've got a 2017 (facelifted) Flair.

It's not immediate (i.e. if I turn it off and back on it's fine) it seems to happen when the car has been off for a few hours or overnight.

Is the memory battery powered?

With the current times, I'm only using the car for 20-30 mins per day (2 trips).

It started about 2 days before my warranty ran out, but I have taken the Citroen extended warranty for the next year.
proinnsias   
Thu Apr 01 2021, 05:07am
Member No: #43821
Sounds very much like your battery is toast / drained .. it might survive a good deep recharge, but I'd be planning on replacement if it does it frequently (especially with frequent very short hops, big load starting and very little charge being returned to it)
1 User said Thank You to proinnsias for this Post :
 markslavin (02 Apr 2021 : 12:48)
markslavin   
Thu Apr 01 2021, 06:04am
proinnsias wrote ...

Sounds very much like your battery is toast / drained .. it might survive a good deep recharge, but I'd be planning on replacement if it does it frequently (especially with frequent very short hops, big load starting and very little charge being returned to it)

The main car battery or one in the ICE?

I've had the car 13 months and never had the stop start work (the light on the dash comes on when I stop at traffic lights), the dealer said it was because a. the car had been standing at the showroom and b. i hadn't driven it far due to lockdown when I asked about it after having the car a few weeks.
routemaster1   
Thu Apr 01 2021, 07:25am
Member No: #574
I wasn't aware there is a battery in the ICE.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
markslavin   
Thu Apr 01 2021, 08:30am
routemaster1 wrote ...

I wasn't aware there is a battery in the ICE.

There probably isn't. I wasn't sure, I thought maybe like how computers have a small battery on the motherboard, there could be one in the ICE (the stereo, not the internal combustion unit).
BigJohnD   
Thu Apr 01 2021, 10:50am

Member No: #82
The car battery has to be favourite. Do you see the Economy Mode warning often?
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
markslavin   
Thu Apr 01 2021, 01:13pm
BigJohnD wrote ...

If I'm waiting for my son at school and turn the engine off, the economy mode comes on after a 3 or 4 minutes.
markslavin   
Thu Apr 01 2021, 02:03pm
BigJohnD wrote ...

If I'm waiting for my son at school and turn the engine off, the economy mode comes on after 3 or 4 minutes of listening to the radio.
vexorg   
Thu Apr 01 2021, 02:42pm
Member No: #48843
If the battery is bad enough to make the radio forget, then you are lucky to have it start then engine.
1 User said Thank You to vexorg for this Post :
BigJohnD   
Thu Apr 01 2021, 03:38pm

markslavin wrote ...

If I'm waiting for my son at school and turn the engine off, the economy mode comes on after 3 or 4 minutes of listening to the radio.

Time for a professional battery check with a new battery likely.

With a new, fully charged battery, you will get the max 30 minutes before Economy Mode kicks in.
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
EJCitroen   
Mon Apr 05 2021, 07:20am
Member No: #55487
Something that might be worth testing is if you have any radio presets do they stay on the screen after a few hours or do they revert to being empty?

If they stay it might be worth trying to set the station you are listening to as a preset (press and hold on radio icons) and then start the car after a few hours to test. Assuming you haven't already tried that.

Seems unlikely it would be the battery itself because the car starts fine but not 100% sure on that one.
DeuxChevaux   
Tue Apr 06 2021, 03:19am
Member No: #16472
There are two feeds to the radio, one permanent and one switched. The permanent one keeps the memory alive the other switches the main radio circuits on. It would appear that your radio is getting very little power from the permanent live feed. As another (2nd) issue you seem to have a failed or failing battery. A good condition battery should last quite a while before economy mode kicks in. I have just changed our cars battery as stop start hadn't worked for 12 months that we have owned the car. Stop start now works all the time and haven't seen economy mode at all. The battery on ours was an 096 AGM battery although some cars have an 027 AGM battery. I purchased from Tayna batteries at £90 something pounds delivered for an Exide battery which was over £400 at Eurocarparts. There are lots of videos on You Tube how to change the battery and if yours is the 1.2 puretech version I have posted a 'how to' about changing the battery on this site. Hopefully fixing the battery will also fix the radio issue.
markslavin   
Fri May 21 2021, 07:52am
Just spoken to the dealer's service desk on the phone and they're saying they think it's a software problem, that the head unit needs it's software updating.

It's due to go in next week, but a can't imagine how it's a software problem (oh, and it's not covered by the warranty so it'll be £106 thankyou).
BigJohnD   
Fri May 21 2021, 08:01am

It's possible that the Quadlock is not fully seated, causing a faulty/weak connection of the live feed. Pull out the radio, disconnect the Quadlock, clean with toothbrush and replace, pushing home firmly.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member