or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

Battery completely dead due to lockdown

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
chrigil   
Sun Mar 21 2021, 08:58am
Member No: #49014
Hi all.

I went to start my car (Grand C4 Picasso 2014) for the first time in a month (and only 2nd time since December) and the battery is completely dead. Fortunately I parked 6-8 inches from my left hand garage wall so I could just open my door to get my bonnet open. I've no idea what I would have done if I couldn't open the door (ridiculous location for the bonnet opening lever!).

I connected my 12v Halfords battery charger and the red charging light came on. When I went back after 2-3 hours however there were no lights on at all (neither the charging nor trickle lights). I was very suspicious that it could possibly have changed anything in 2 hours but reconnected the battery to test.

The central locking with the key didn't work (possibly the key battery) however after 30 seconds of a fast clicking noise, the dashboard did light up. Everything the trip distance, total distance indicators were set to zero (as you'd probably imagine) and there was a number of light illuminated like STOP / SERVICE etc. I didn't notice the battery icon but the dashboard only stayed illuminated for a short time.
When I pressed the STOP / START button absolutely nothing happened at all. The dashboard didn't re-illuminate and hasn't done since.

I'm not convinced that my charger is very good, it gets very hot and is very small, it just doesn't seem up to the job, so I plan to buy a new one anyway. I don't know if my battery has ever been changed either so perhaps I need a new one.

In the first instance however, once I charge with my new charger (yet to arrive), should it simply start or do I need to go through a whole load of steps to reboot the computer etc?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
neilp   
Sun Mar 21 2021, 09:10am
Member No: #3384
I would say just try to start as normal. See what others say.
routemaster1   
Sun Mar 21 2021, 09:27am
Member No: #574
chrigil wrote ...

I went to start my car (Grand C4 Picasso 2014) for the first time in a month (and only 2nd time since December) and the battery is completely dead. Fortunately I parked 6-8 inches from my left hand garage wall so I could just open my door to get my bonnet open. I've no idea what I would have done if I couldn't open the door (ridiculous location for the bonnet opening lever!).

Virtually all cars now have this kind of arrangement for the bonnet release. The reason is so that the bonnet cannot be released when the car is in motion.

There should be no issue starting the car but you will need to reset date and time, possibly language (it is likely to revert to French), and reset the speedo and odometer to miles.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 BigJohnD (21 Mar 2021 : 17:55)
chrigil   
Sun Mar 21 2021, 10:22am
Thanks for the help folks. I'll wait for the new charger to arrive and take it from there.
dmpzsn   
Sun Mar 21 2021, 12:46pm
Member No: #25128
If you can get the car into the sunlight you can buy solar trickle chargers that connect via the OBD socket.

That may help.

I've bought one from Amazon and am using it in both my C4 and my Wifes Toyota. Like you I had a dead flat battery but the RAC managed to get the car started, it then went again and this time they replaced the battery.

I'm hoping the trickle charger will save me any more problems.

The one I purchased is the AA 12V Car Solar Battery Charger 4.8W AA1432 - For Vehicles And Caravans - Battery Connectors Included, at the moment £36.99 on Amazon.
1 User said Thank You to dmpzsn for this Post :
 chrigil (21 Mar 2021 : 14:28)
chrigil   
Sun Mar 21 2021, 02:32pm
That sounds really useful dmpzsn, thanks.

I've ordered this charger which I think should do the job - Click Here -
It should allow me to properly charge it this time and maybe leave it on trickle charge every now and then. I'll definitely look into the solar one tho, at that price it's a no-brainer.
BigJohnD   
Sun Mar 21 2021, 05:55pm

Member No: #82
When you go to start the car, turn the ignition on and wait until all the pre-start checks are complete, about 20-30 seconds. Then turn the key to start the engine.

Hopefully the engine will fire up and you can then check the language, units and clock.

As for bonnet releases, the hidden location by the door hinges is almost universal.
chrigil   
Mon Mar 22 2021, 04:06am
BigJohnD wrote ...

When you go to start the car, turn the ignition on and wait until all the pre-start checks are complete, about 20-30 seconds. Then turn the key to start the engine.

Hopefully the engine will fire up and you can then check the language, units and clock.

As for bonnet releases, the hidden location by the door hinges is almost universal.

Thanks BigJohnD. My car is 2014 and doesn't have an ignition that turns just the hole in the dashboard where the key sits sometimes (no idea what the point of this hole is tbh). The only way to start and stop the car is by the big STOP/START button.
routemaster1   
Mon Mar 22 2021, 04:32am
Member No: #574
chrigil wrote ...

BigJohnD wrote ...

Turn the electrics on by pressing the button without pressing the clutch pedal (manual gearbox). I would guess with an auto box you press the button without applying the brake.
Thanks BigJohnD. My car is 2014 and doesn't have an ignition that turns just the hole in the dashboard where the key sits sometimes (no idea what the point of this hole is tbh). The only way to start and stop the car is by the big STOP/START button.

Magistrate   
Mon Mar 22 2021, 05:45am
Member No: #1731
If the battery is original it is likely it needs renewing. Once a battery of that age has completely discharged it will be difficult if not impossible to recharge.My own 2008 C4 stands idle for sometimes months and I have never had a problem with starting as the economy mode kicks in.
vexorg   
Mon Mar 22 2021, 06:34am
Member No: #48843
I'd renew the battery anyway, leaving them uncharged for a long time is a killer.

It does a car good to give it a start and drive once a week, even just along the road and back, stops everything sezing up.
chrigil   
Mon Mar 22 2021, 07:16am
Thanks everyone. I'll try the charger and then go for a new battery if necessary. Any idea what sort I'd need for one of these? It's a 1600 with Stop-Start.

Thanks
vexorg   
Mon Mar 22 2021, 08:58am
Member No: #48843
To be honest, I'd just change the battery, it'll let you down at the most inconvenient time.
dmpzsn   
Mon Mar 22 2021, 12:46pm
Member No: #25128
chrigil wrote ...

That sounds really useful dmpzsn, thanks.

I've ordered this charger which I think should do the job - Click Here -
It should allow me to properly charge it this time and maybe leave it on trickle charge every now and then. I'll definitely look into the solar one tho, at that price it's a no-brainer.

That's no problem, I did check with both the Toyota and the Citroen main dealers before I bought one, both said it was fine but to make sure it was disconnected before driving off.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member