or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Maintenance Tips ALL variant C4 C4 Picasso and DS4 :: Maintenance and Repair Tips and Procedures.

Particle Filter Level Low & Risk of Filter Blocking?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Seany_Jay   
Fri Feb 05 2021, 03:49am
Member No: #57514
Hi I'm new to the forums, my name is Sean and this is my first post

I recently bought a 59 plate C4 1.6 HDI EGS off my dad's girlfriend (for a steal!) with 140k on it.

The info said 'P Filter Level Low' when I first got the car but now after a few weeks of owning it and using it the info now displays 'Risk of Filter Blocking' as well as the 'P Filter' message.

I'm assuming that the Eolys additive has run out so how do I go about topping it up or replacing it?

Also I've noticed as well that sometimes at pull off if your foot is only just easing on the throttle to crawl forward the car pulls away quite jerky and for an automatic that seems odd, is it because of the DPF and the Eolys?

Also sometimes whilst driving you can feel a slight judder and low revs in second gear when the engine is cold seems to have minimal power now too.

Oh and when idling it sometimes misses slightly but most of the time it idles fine?

All of these things seem to have started happening when the 'Risk of Filter Blocking' message appeared.

Sorry for all the questions and I hope someone can help me?
routemaster1   
Fri Feb 05 2021, 04:09am
Member No: #574
The issue with the gearbox is very unlikely to be related to the exhaust issues. I found mine (2007 C4 Picasso) rather difficult to drive slowly. It may need a reset. You can do this yourself. Find a piece of quiet road with no traffic. Stop and put the car in auto. Then floor it. Do this a couple of times and you may find it smoother.

The EOLYS fluid is supposed to last 80-90,000 miles (our C3 has done 125,000 on the original fluid). The container is below the car near the fuel tank, either in a tank or replaceable pouch. There are several types, some are compatible with each other, some are not. You need to ensure you get the right type. You can do it yourself, but it may be better to get a garage who understand Citroens or Peugeots to do it. The system will need to be reset using Diagbox so that it knows the fluid has been replaced/topped up.
Seany_Jay   
Fri Feb 05 2021, 04:35am
Thanks for your reply

I will have to try that 'flooring it technique. How fast do I need to go and to what gear? Sport mode or not?

With regards to the EOLYS how do I know which type I need and if it is compatible?

Also do you have any idea how much 'roughly' I'm looking at for a garage to do the job?
BigJohnD   
Fri Feb 05 2021, 08:09am

Member No: #82
See here: - Click Here -

The fluid doesn't cost much - c.£12.50/litre - but can be messy to replace and the counter needs re-setting.

I'd suggest contacting a local independent Citroen/Peugeot dealer for a quote. He can check you have correct fluid by checking against your VIN.

routemaster1   
Fri Feb 05 2021, 08:52am
Member No: #574
Seany_Jay wrote ...

Thanks for your reply

I will have to try that 'flooring it technique. How fast do I need to go and to what gear? Sport mode or not?

With regards to the EOLYS how do I know which type I need and if it is compatible?

Also do you have any idea how much 'roughly' I'm looking at for a garage to do the job?

I would guess only up to ~ 30mph. I think you only need to get it to do a hard change into 2nd gear. Never had to do it myself. Try in in sport mode and without sport selected.
Seany_Jay   
Fri Feb 05 2021, 09:35am
Where would be the best place to buy fluid from, the main dealer? Or would it be wise to confirm which I need then buy from the Internet? Is it necessary to reset the counter immediately or can it be done at a later date? I'm guessing the 'P Filter Level Low' message won't disappear without a reset?

I shall give the flooring method a go when I find somewhere suitable
FrankBullitt   
Fri Feb 05 2021, 02:00pm

Member No: #19238
Yes often EGS just needs the clutch recalibrating (it’s a manual box with an automated clutch, not a proper auto so it’s never quite as smooth as you hope it would be) and it’s worth trying the hard reset which basically needs you to have a gear change at the red line.
Seany_Jay   
Fri Feb 05 2021, 02:11pm
From what I've just read on that link you need to stamp on the throttle from a standstill until 2nd or 3rd gear in auto but the problem with that is you can't take the car to redline like you suggested?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member