or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe Hatch and General Questions

Fitting a new head unit to my C4, will it cause problems?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
airct   
Thu Nov 19 2020, 09:03am
Member No: #56544
I want to fit a new stereo head unit into my 2008 C4 VTR+. I want to have one with either an aux socket or Bluetooth. Up until now I’ve been using a FM transmitter but I can’t stand the hissing noise much longer. I’ve heard that fitting an aftermarket head unit can cause problems if work needs to be done on the car, something about having to use the menu that’s only available on the OEM head unit. Is this true? What problems does it cause?

If a new head unit is going to be a problem how easy is it to fit a aux socket to the original unit? And how would I go about this?
BigJohnD   
Thu Nov 19 2020, 09:47am

Member No: #82
There are dozens of threads about this. - Click Here - a typical enquiry.

Start here: - Click Here - It may be a bit out date but it's essentially correct.

You will need a Connects2 interface to ensure steering wheel controls and reversing sensors are retained, and an aerial adaptor.

The Connects2 tech help has been very good in the past, so do contact them to get the correct interface for your car and aftermarket radio unit. Start here: - Click Here -

Do not use Audioleads from Halfords; they are incomplete interfaces - power and speakers only.

Also, whichever new head unit you decide upon is likely to be an untidy fit as suitable fascia trim is just about impossible to source.

Typical dash after fitting an aftermarket HU, in this case a Sony.
airct   
Fri Nov 20 2020, 04:06am
Thanks for the reply. I did do a search on the subject but I don’t find the search function on this site to be very good.

Which would you say is the easier option, fitting a full new stereo with adapters or fitting aux socket to the existing OE head unit?
BigJohnD   
Fri Nov 20 2020, 05:47am

Fitting a simple jack Aux input to the existing RD4 unit requires the port to be activated using Lexia or DiagBox, which may require a potentially expensive visit to a Citroen dealer - more expensive than the socket and wiring! - Click Here -

Also there is no pre-amp on the input, so you will need to turn up the volume very high - so if you switch back to CD or radio, it will be booming at you, and probably very distorted.

Your best bet is a suitable after- market head unit, perhaps with a USB port, SD card slot and Bluetooth, as you see fit.
routemaster1   
Fri Nov 20 2020, 06:09am
Member No: #574
BigJohnD wrote ...

Fitting a simple jack Aux input to the existing RD4 unit requires the port to be activated using Lexia or DiagBox, which may require a potentially expensive visit to a Citroen dealer - more expensive than the socket and wiring! - Click Here -

Also there is no pre-amp on the input, so you will need to turn up the volume very high - so if you switch back to CD or radio, it will be booming at you, and probably very distorted.

Your best bet is a suitable after- market head unit, perhaps with a USB port, SD card slot and Bluetooth, as you see fit.

Bear in mind that the menu system on the radio controls some of the trip computer functions, also the time/ date and language. If you change the head unit and do not have separate menu controls on the steering wheel (our first 2 C4 Picassos had this but I'm not sure if any C4s do) you will not be able to change the clock. It could be a pain having to change head units evey 6 months or so when the clocks change.
airct   
Fri Nov 20 2020, 06:19am
routemaster1 wrote ...

BigJohnD wrote ...

Bear in mind that the menu system on the radio controls some of the trip computer functions, also the time/ date and language. If you change the head unit and do not have separate menu controls on the steering wheel (our first 2 C4 Picassos had this but I'm not sure if any C4s do) you will not be able to change the clock. It could be a pain having to change head units evey 6 months or so when the clocks change.

I do have controls on the steering wheel. This picture shows the exact layout I have (I don’t have the speak phone option)
From what I understand you are saying. I can get the head unit of my choice (as long as adaptors are available for the model), as long as the adapter wiring is used I should still have the full functionality for the menus. It’s only if I don’t use the adapters that causes problems with menus. Am I correct?
BigJohnD   
Fri Nov 20 2020, 06:31am

airct wrote ...

From what I understand you are saying. I can get the head unit of my choice (as long as adaptors are available for the model), as long as the adapter wiring is used I should still have the full functionality for the menus. It’s only if I don’t use the adapters that causes problems with menus. Am I correct?

Yes. The Connects2 interface will more than likely require a patch lead specific to the HU for the remote volume and channel controls. If you have MODE and MENU on the steering wheel boss, then they will continue work so you can alter the clock etc.

- Click Here - for a typical, in this case Sony, adapter wiring.
airct   
Fri Nov 20 2020, 07:09am
BigJohnD wrote ...

airct wrote ...

Yes. The Connects2 interface will more than likely require a patch lead specific to the HU for the remote volume and channel controls. If you have MODE and MENU on the steering wheel boss, then they will continue work so you can alter the clock etc.

- Click Here - for a typical, in this case Sony, adapter wiring.

Just to clarify the parts required. I need to speak to Connect2 to find out which interface to get, I will need the patch lead, and an aerial adapter?
BigJohnD   
Fri Nov 20 2020, 07:47am

airct wrote ...

Just to clarify the parts required. I need to speak to Connect2 to find out which interface to get, I will need the patch lead, and an aerial adapter?

Yes. Make sure you know which head unit you're getting.
airct   
Fri Nov 20 2020, 12:26pm
BigJohnD wrote ...

airct wrote ...

Yes. Make sure you know which head unit you're getting.

Think I've got everything figured out now. Thanks for your time and help.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member