or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso (B78) General Questions

Help topping up AdBlue

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
WillyRose   
Fri Aug 21 2020, 12:24pm
Member No: #53230
Does the B78 officially have the most inaccessible AdBlue Filler in the World?
It's under the right rear seat in the boot so, when you attach the filler that comes with your 10L tub of AdBlue, you're faced with the issue of trying to tip the stuff into the filler without first filling the boot.
As you tip the tub, the end of the filler tube is still a couple of feet above the neck of AdBlue tank.
How do you do it?
Do I need to decant into smaller containers which I can more easily tip over?
Do I need to remove the rear seat?
It seems AdBlue suppliers are assuming you have a filler on the external surface of the car - perhaps near the fuel filler - rather than in a recess in the floor of the boot.
If you have any tips how I can fill from a 10L tub without spilling all over the boot, I'd be really grateful.
routemaster1   
Fri Aug 21 2020, 12:40pm
Member No: #574
WillyRose wrote ...

Does the B78 officially have the most inaccessible AdBlue Filler in the World?
It's under the right rear seat in the boot so, when you attach the filler that comes with your 10L tub of AdBlue, you're faced with the issue of trying to tip the stuff into the filler without first filling the boot.
As you tip the tub, the end of the filler tube is still a couple of feet above the neck of AdBlue tank.
How do you do it?
Do I need to decant into smaller containers which I can more easily tip over?
Do I need to remove the rear seat?
It seems AdBlue suppliers are assuming you have a filler on the external surface of the car - perhaps near the fuel filler - rather than in a recess in the floor of the boot.
If you have any tips how I can fill from a 10L tub without spilling all over the boot, I'd be really grateful.

I transfer mine to a clean 2 litre drink bottle using a small funnel, then transfer from the bottle to the tank via the funnel. It is quite slow but not too difficult. I'm not absolutely sure but I believe that there are two possible locations, the earlier ones are under the driver's side third row seats, and the later ones in front of the same seat, which means you don't have to lift the seat to refill.

The issue of the location is most likely due to trying to fit the system inside an already designed body. If the Adblue system is designed in at the start it is possible to locate the filler in a better place. VWs and Peugeot 3008/5008s have the filler located under the fuel cap.
wunny   
Fri Aug 21 2020, 12:52pm
Member No: #42824
I poured the Ad-Blue into a large jug, and then poured from that into a funnel into the Ad-Blue tank.

I had no idea how much it would take so poured very carefully, The whole 10 litres went in and there was no spillage. The UREA lamp went off in less than a minute after starting the engine.

I'd never had to top up before and the first time I had the UREA lamp come on was after 18,000 miles last November. This time it came on after only 9000 miles, so I take it that it wasn't brimmed at the last service.
routemaster1   
Fri Aug 21 2020, 01:54pm
wunny wrote ...

I poured the Ad-Blue into a large jug, and then poured from that into a funnel into the Ad-Blue tank.

I had no idea how much it would take so poured very carefully, The whole 10 litres went in and there was no spillage. The UREA lamp went off in less than a minute after starting the engine.

I'd never had to top up before and the first time I had the UREA lamp come on was after 18,000 miles last November. This time it came on after only 9000 miles, so I take it that it wasn't brimmed at the last service.

Please note that an Adblue top-up is not always done in a service unless requested. It is not part of the normal service. A full tank will give a range of 10-11,000 miles. 18,000 miles indicates that the tank must have been topped up, 9000 miles is closer to what is expected. Due to the difficult access, I would recommend topping up before undertaking a continental road trip, as it is potentially a pain to have to move all luggage from the boot to top up.(obviously unlikely in the current circumstances).
DeuxChevaux   
Sat Aug 22 2020, 05:30am
Member No: #16472
I bought a 1.89litre bottle of branded Adblu from ebay (I think it was Mercedes but could have been BMW) It comes with an adapter that screws onto the tank, you then push down on it which releases the liqued. When the tank is full it will stop and you can unscrew it without a single drop escaping. I keep refilling it from my 25 litre drum of adblu which cost very little per litre. Much better than any other system I have seen.
This sort of thing - Click Here -

BTW - they say these are not refillable but with a bit of torque applied with a pipe wrench type of pliers they are easy to refill
1 User said Thank You to DeuxChevaux for this Post :
 WillyRose (23 Aug 2020 : 02:08)
WillyRose   
Sun Aug 23 2020, 02:11am
Thanks for all your replies. I resigned myself to the job taking a while.
I'm going to chop the bottom off a 2-litre plastic bottle and upend it to use as a tall funnel.
I'll report back...
routemaster1   
Sun Aug 23 2020, 02:48am
WillyRose wrote ...

Thanks for all your replies. I resigned myself to the job taking a while.
I'm going to chop the bottom off a 2-litre plastic bottle and upend it to use as a tall funnel.
I'll report back...

I doubt if that will work as the neck probably won't fit in the fitter. You will probably need a smamm funnel.
WillyRose   
Sun Aug 23 2020, 09:44am
Routemaster - you're quite right!
The hole is too small for the bottle neck to fit in.
I packed tissue around the filler, put my thumb over the end of the spout, upended the 10L tub and jabbed the spout in.
The tissue absorbed the small amount spilled and all 10L slopped in very nicely.
Even better: the warning light went out within 10s of starting the engine.

And breathe...

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member