or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

2016 C4 Grand Picasso - Air Con hissing noise and reduced cooling - Resolved

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
stu666   
Wed Jul 29 2020, 03:55am
Member No: #43820
Recently my a/c cooling performance lowered and there was a hissing noise behind the dash when the a/c was on.

Took the car to ATS for a groupon £99 regas (R1234YF expensive type) and as soon as the technician removed the plastic caps on the filling ports there was a slow hissing noise. It was clear that the schrader valve cores were leaking. ATS don't do a/c repairs as such but the tech did mention it was possible to replace the cores.

Contacted citroen parts who advised the pair of cores would be £120!!! (think this also included new caps which were not necessary)

Ordered a schrader a/c core remover off the web to unscrew the cores and used the existing ones to identify replacements. When the cores are removed or compressed whatever remaining gas is in the system will vent out.
It was clear that the seals were ruptured. Managed to find a pack of 5x (only 2 needed) psa m8 cores from eurocarparts for £12 which seemed higher quality to oem (ecp part no 255770030) they do say R134 next to part name but they are of same dimensions etc. Don't overtighten the new cores, if you snap one, you are goosed!! Tighten with just fingers on the tool.

Back to ATS and aircon now been fully vacuum tested and recharged with 625g of R1234YF.

Total cost roughly £120
My dealer would have been minimum of £320 as they charge £200 for the recharge alone.

Hopefully this helps someone. Obviously this is at your own risk. Ideally a machine should have been used to extract what was left of the old gas but because I had a leak there was minimal anyway

vexorg   
Wed Jul 29 2020, 04:27am
Member No: #48843
Expect the wrath of eco green nutters to complain about how you are destroying the planet!!!!!!
stu666   
Wed Jul 29 2020, 02:37pm
Member No: #43820
Haha wouldn't surprise me. The new stuff is meant to be no worse than an aerosol or something 😄
iscom   
Thu Jul 30 2020, 03:56am
Member No: #20936
Just out of interest I went to have my R1234YF topped up as it was not as cold as it used to be and after testing they concluded it was losing gas albeit slowly they discovered it was the inlet vale. They emptied they removed the gas and order new vale, two days later they fitted and refilled the system and now working fine

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member