or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso (B78) General Questions

Re-gassed my Air Con

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
maverick54   
Fri Jul 17 2020, 12:31pm
Member No: #54749
Car's just over 3 years and I've had it for 6 months now.

The air con has been pitiful and I decided to buy a trigger gauge & top up bottle from Halfords. (R-1234yf)

Tested the system with the gauge first and it was showing 15 psi in the white band so no surprise it needed topping up.

Followed the instructions and got it up to 48 psi in the green band where it needed to be.

Tried it and it was much colder but I was expecting more and wasn't overly pleased with the results.

Today it has been pretty hot and the air con is struggling to drop below 8 on the temp gauge.

How cold does yours get on a hot day? Just wondering if this new gas doesn't get as cold as the old stuff.
wunny   
Fri Jul 17 2020, 12:58pm
Member No: #42824
I had mine re-gassed last month, as it was struggling to cool the car.

Of course it was the newer and more expensive gas, but once done, it was nice and cool again.

Had it done in a garage, with the proper equipment and it also added lubricant for the pump.

A DIY top up from a can is only a stop gap remedy to getting the air con working.

For peace of mind, a proper garage will do it all and although expensive, I think that it is worth it.
routemaster1   
Fri Jul 17 2020, 01:14pm
Member No: #574
What did you use to measure it? I have a thermometer from ebay. The temperature of air coming into the cabin will depend on the external temperature. On our C4 Picasso, it will get to ~6-7 degrees. On our C3, it only got down to 10.0 degrees with an external temperature of 26 degrees, but made 8 degrees when below 20 degrees.
jsg1163   
Fri Jul 17 2020, 03:54pm
Member No: #50650
I had mine re-gassed and put a digital thermometer right in front of the air vent... left and car and compressor ON for about 10-15 mins and the reading was about 10-12DC. But when the outside temp is over 25DC, air con works fine.

I never used to leave it on AUTO thinking that it will drink more diesel but now I think that I have spent over £110 on the air con so I am gonna leave it on AUTO 365 days regardless the temp outside and so far its been working very well.
routemaster1   
Fri Jul 17 2020, 04:02pm
jsg1163 wrote ...

I had mine re-gassed and put a digital thermometer right in front of the air vent... left and car and compressor ON for about 10-15 mins and the reading was about 10-12DC. But when the outside temp is over 25DC, air con works fine.

I never used to leave it on AUTO thinking that it will drink more diesel but now I think that I have spent over £110 on the air con so I am gonna leave it on AUTO 365 days regardless the temp outside and so far its been working very well.

It will use more diesel, because ,due to the laws of thermodynamics, you can't get something for nothing. It will use more diesel when the outside temperature is hot; when it's below ~15 degrees, it will hardly be working and make little difference.
maverick54   
Fri Jul 17 2020, 11:22pm
Member No: #54749
Thanks for the replies guys. Judging from your replies maybe it's ok and I'm expecting too much.
I did have it on recycle so it was circulating the air inside the car and not drawing the warm air from outside.
Maybe 8-9 isn't too bad then on a very hot day.

The top up bottles do contain the oil to lubricate the seals.

I use one of these with the wire pushed into the vent. Can anyone suggest a better one that maybe clips on without any wire?

- Click Here -
routemaster1   
Sat Jul 18 2020, 03:33am
maverick54 wrote ...

Thanks for the replies guys. Judging from your replies maybe it's ok and I'm expecting too much.
I did have it on recycle so it was circulating the air inside the car and not drawing the warm air from outside.
Maybe 8-9 isn't too bad then on a very hot day.

The top up bottles do contain the oil to lubricate the seals.

I use one of these with the wire pushed into the vent. Can anyone suggest a better one that maybe clips on without any wire?

- Click Here -

That is exactly what I use. It obviously isn't accurately calibrated, but it is goog enough for this use. Response time is quite good, as you can see the temperature varying as the aircon cuts in and out.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member