or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 2010 VTR+ 1.6D - Turbo issue or something else?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
pboytrif   
Tue Jun 30 2020, 08:59am
Member No: #56379
2010 VTR+ 1.6 diesel. Automatic. 88,000 miles.

I've had this car 5 years and despite its nuances have grown to enjoy it a lot. Sadly, in the last 6 months its gradually lost the power from the turbo and now feels horrible to drive because its so weak.

The car used to pull heavy at 2000rpm, but then at 2200.. then 2500.. then 3000rpm. After about a month I barely noticed a pull at all. If it exists... its at 3500rpm+ and only in the low gears. Nothing in gears 5 or 6.

Very rarely, once a week perhaps, it feels like it pulls well again... for maybe 60-70% of the turbo power I remember from before. But never 100% what it used to be. Its been like this for a few months now.

I took it to a Citreon Dealership and they assessed the car and said it needed a new Cambelt (due to its age) and the symptoms were in keeping of a worn cluth - which I just dont believe. I took it to an independent garage and they said the clutch was ok but the gearbox was sluggish and didnt downshift early enough - but they couldnt appreciate that I was saying the car is weaker than normal and I didnt used to need to shift down - it would pull just fine!

So yea, im a bit stuck. I dont feel the problem has been correctly identified and im even less confident now the two garages had different opinions on twhat the issue was.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dynome   
Tue Jul 14 2020, 03:58pm
Member No: #54346
No expert here but kinda thinking automatic's don't have a clutch, torque converter does the work. Cam belt due at 10yrs old, maybe they would advise the gearbox oil/filter would be due also. Doubt any of these would cause your problem.

It might be worth taking off the clip and hose to the turbo inlet. Inside here the orange rubber can fail, causing problems, but will give you access to see the turbo, check for slackness or damage.

The handbook does advise to run the engine after journeys, to allow the turbo to clear itself, this usually causes flat spots on the turbo, doesn't sound like your suffering with that.

Hope it helps
1 User said Thank You to Dynome for this Post :
 pboytrif (08 Feb 2021 : 06:35)
routemaster1   
Wed Jul 15 2020, 04:12am
Member No: #574
As the car is a 2010 1.6 HDi, it isn't a conventional auto with torque converter, it is an EGS box. It has a conventional dual mass flywheel and friction clutch, which is automatically operated. Citroen didn't fit the full auto EAT gearbox until the BlueHDi 1.6 was introduced about 2016.

The B78 2.0HDi with EAT was available from 2013; this was never foitted with EGS/ETG as it was too powerful for the semi=auto box,.
2 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 Dynome (21 Jul 2020 : 04:36) , pboytrif (08 Feb 2021 : 06:35)
pboytrif   
Mon Feb 08 2021, 06:41am
Member No: #56379
I was meant to update this thread at the time but never got around to it. So just getting back to it now.

I took the car to a diagnostics garage and they were able to identify 2 sensor faults - its been a while and off the top of my head one was the air intake sensor. Cant remember the other.

It cost around £200 for everything including the diagnostics. Perhaps a little pricey but my God, car felt better than ever. Been around 6 months and still going strong - car feels stronger than when I first got it 5 years ago.

What annoys me is I took it to a Citroën Main Dealer AND a Robin's and Day... I told both garages it felt like a sensor issue as the fault was temperamental and inconsistent... in keeping with an electrical error as opposed to mechanical. The fact that both of them failed to identify the problem is a complete disgrace IMO. I know nothing about cars and I was nearer to the correct answer then they were.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member