or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Maintenance Tips ALL variant C4 C4 Picasso and DS4 :: Maintenance and Repair Tips and Procedures.

2004 1.6 C4 GP Fan/Auxiliary belt replacement

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
NevilleT   
Sun May 10 2020, 03:36pm
Member No: #56046
Hi All,

My fan/auxiliary belt has snapped and I am trying to fit the replacement.

I've figured out how to release the pressure on the tensioning pulley but cannot get the belt on due to another pulley that presses against the crankshaft pulley and traps the belt in between.

There is no access gap between the crankshaft pulley and the pressure pulley.

The pulley in question is in a plastic housing that can be accessed by removing the offside front wheel.

From my point of access (through the wheel arch) I cannot see how to release the pressure sufficient to get the belt between the two pulleys.

Any suggestions of help would be great.

Many thanks.
routemaster1   
Sun May 10 2020, 04:24pm
Member No: #574
NevilleT wrote ...

Hi All,

My fan/auxiliary belt has snapped and I am trying to fit the replacement.

I've figured out how to release the pressure on the tensioning pulley but cannot get the belt on due to another pulley that presses against the crankshaft pulley and traps the belt in between.

There is no access gap between the crankshaft pulley and the pressure pulley.

The pulley in question is in a plastic housing that can be accessed by removing the offside front wheel.

From my point of access (through the wheel arch) I cannot see how to release the pressure sufficient to get the belt between the two pulleys.

Any suggestions of help would be great.

Many thanks.

Sorry to have to ask. There must be some mistake here either in the year or the model. C4 Picassos were not built until late 2006. so either the date is incorrect or the car is a Xsara Picasso. if so, it isn't really covered by this forum.
NevilleT   
Mon May 11 2020, 02:39am
I apologise for the mistake.

My C4 Grand Picasso is a 58 plate.

rusky   
Mon May 11 2020, 07:04am
Member No: #27768
You need to use a special tool ) or 15mm spanner on the tensioner to pull it out of the way. Use a drill bit to hold it there while you fit the new belt
NevilleT   
Mon May 11 2020, 07:39am
The belt goes around the crankshaft, alternator and AC compressor. The tensioner is on the top of the alternator and I've released the pressure using a spanner and then pushing in the spring loaded pin to hold it off.

My problem is on the lower side rear of the of the crankshaft pulley where there is another roller that presses against the outside of the belt. I think this roller is electrically controlled and when engaged drives the water pump.

Picture link here:
- Click Here -

One thought was to remove the crankshaft pulley by removing the 3 torx headed bolts but when i exert pressure with a ratchet the engine itself rotates...
routemaster1   
Mon May 11 2020, 08:16am
Member No: #574
NevilleT wrote ...

The belt goes around the crankshaft, alternator and AC compressor. The tensioner is on the top of the alternator and I've released the pressure using a spanner and then pushing in the spring loaded pin to hold it off.

My problem is on the lower side rear of the of the crankshaft pulley where there is another roller that presses against the outside of the belt. I think this roller is electrically controlled and when engaged drives the water pump.

Picture link here:
- Click Here -

One thought was to remove the crankshaft pulley by removing the 3 torx headed bolts but when i exert pressure with a ratchet the engine itself rotates...

I get a 404 error.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member