or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

C4 Picasso 2007 - Windscreen wipers

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
darrenleeds   
Thu Mar 05 2020, 05:12am
Member No: #55738
Hi all, first post - so apologies if I have a missed a thread on this.

Just recently picked up a 2007 C4 Picasso and am enjoying it.

However, there is an intermittent fault with the windscreen wipers/arms. Every so often the wipers judder, the passenger side wiper/arm sticks/locks in an upright position while the drivers side continues to work okay.

The only way to get the passenger side wiper/arm working okay again is to physically move it by hand to its original position and after 5/10 minutes the wipers seem to reset and work okay until the problem happens again some time later.

Any idea if it is a motor problem or where I go from here ?

Thanks
TriumphGuy   
Thu Mar 05 2020, 06:43am
Member No: #47272
Check the condition of the wiper blades. They might be past their best. Have you tried to operate the wiper motor with the wiper arm removed or the wiper arm lifed off the windscreen? It is a 16mm nut that holds the wiper arm on to the spindle should you need to remove it. Another simple thing to check is the connector for the wiper motor. Some contact cleaner might be all that is needed. Unfortuately, the scuttle has to come off to get to the wiper motors (there's one for each wiper). If you can borrow a known good wiper motor, that would be the next step in the diagnosis.

Hope this helps any.
1 User said Thank You to TriumphGuy for this Post :
 darrenleeds (05 Mar 2020 : 08:55)
routemaster1   
Thu Mar 05 2020, 06:56am
Member No: #574
TriumphGuy wrote ...

Have you tried to operate the wiper motor with the wiper arm removed or the wiper arm lifted off the windscreen?

Don't think you can do this, as, from memory, the arms foul the edge of the bonnet.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 darrenleeds (05 Mar 2020 : 08:55)
darrenleeds   
Thu Mar 05 2020, 08:57am
TriumphGuy wrote ...

Check the condition of the wiper blades. They might be past their best. Have you tried to operate the wiper motor with the wiper arm removed or the wiper arm lifed off the windscreen? It is a 16mm nut that holds the wiper arm on to the spindle should you need to remove it. Another simple thing to check is the connector for the wiper motor. Some contact cleaner might be all that is needed. Unfortuately, the scuttle has to come off to get to the wiper motors (there's one for each wiper). If you can borrow a known good wiper motor, that would be the next step in the diagnosis.

Hope this helps any.

Got new wiper blades on the way, so will have a look first and see if that does any good. Weird how it’s just the passenger side causing problems. Thanks
darrenleeds   
Thu Mar 05 2020, 12:39pm
New wiper blades installed and no difference. However, there is now a new problem - the passenger side wiper arm is now in its normal position - where it should be at the bottom of the screen - but the driver side is now stuck halfway up the screen. I have took both arms off, run the wipers without arms on and re-installed the arms back on the splines. As soon as I open the car/unlock it - the drivers wiper arm sets itself in the middle of the screen.

I have gone to have another look with the wiper arms removed from car and turned on the windscreen stalk - it looks like only the drivers side motor is moving now.

A couple more questions (sorry for being a pain) - if I replace the motor on the passenger side, will I need to visit Citroen to have the wipers re-synced and is there any way of finding out the number of the replacement motor before I take the other one out.

There are a few second hand on ebay, but I obviously don't want to be buying the wrong one.

Thanks again
TriumphGuy   
Fri Mar 06 2020, 01:36am
Try removing the wiper arms, starting the engine and operating the wipers a few times, move the wiper stalk to the off position (try not to activate the auto wipe), turn the engine off, lock the car and unlock it a few times. That should resynch the wiper motors. Refit the wipers and see what happens. I don't know if you can do anything with the wipers on Lexia/Diagbox. I'll have to try it on my C4GP.

I've had the wiper motors out a few times when taking the front suspension struts out. I can almost do it with my eyes shut. I've never had any problems with the wipers after I've refitted them.

If you can get to me or I can come to you, we could try the wiper motor off my own C4GP. Don't be loading up the parts cannon. It can become costly with no guarantee of a fix or at best not knowing exactly what the problem was in the first place. I've also got Diagbox which help.
 darrenleeds (06 Mar 2020 : 09:26)
darrenleeds   
Fri Mar 06 2020, 09:28am
TriumphGuy wrote ...

Try removing the wiper arms, starting the engine and operating the wipers a few times, move the wiper stalk to the off position (try not to activate the auto wipe), turn the engine off, lock the car and unlock it a few times. That should resynch the wiper motors. Refit the wipers and see what happens. I don't know if you can do anything with the wipers on Lexia/Diagbox. I'll have to try it on my C4GP.

I've had the wiper motors out a few times when taking the front suspension struts out. I can almost do it with my eyes shut. I've never had any problems with the wipers after I've refitted them.

If you can get to me or I can come to you, we could try the wiper motor off my own C4GP. Don't be loading up the parts cannon. It can become costly with no guarantee of a fix or at best not knowing exactly what the problem was in the first place. I've also got Diagbox which help.

Thanks very much for your help. Will give that a try in the morning. I may need to take you up on your kind offer and visit Halifax. Much appreciated.
darrenleeds   
Sat Mar 07 2020, 12:13pm
All sorted - turned out a new (second hand) motor for the passenger side. Thanks TriumphGuy for your help - it ultimately got us looking down the right path.

Didn't need to get the motors re-synced with the software - just used your suggestions above.
TriumphGuy   
Mon Mar 09 2020, 02:47am
Glad you got it fixed. This is what this forum is for. I've had my C4GP for 3 years and I've gained enough experience on it to be able to offer helpful advice. I've also documented most of my major repairs on my YouTube channel which has a dedicated playlist for the C4GP with 34 videos so far.
 darrenleeds (21 Mar 2020 : 11:19)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member