or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe Hatch and General Questions

Changing electronic display settings without original stereo

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Daniel-123   
Sun Feb 16 2020, 06:04pm
Member No: #55629
Hi, C4 Owners,

I have a 5-door 2010 Citroen C4 VTR Hatch and recently after some work to the car (car battery changed), some of the electronics display configurations have been reset. Specifically, the clock is unset and distances are now displayed in kilometres rather than miles.

I believe the controls on the car stereo can be used to change these settings back, but unfortunately I don't have the original stereo. My model also doesn't appear to have relevant buttons on the steering wheel.

I was wondering what the best course of action might be to solve the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Daniel
neilp   
Mon Feb 17 2020, 04:09am
Member No: #3384
I'm no expert but the only action may be to fit an original RD4 setup the with that and then fit the replacement radio back in.
Whenever you disconnect the battery the settings will revert to default.
BigJohnD   
Mon Feb 17 2020, 04:36am

Member No: #82
Unless you a full CANBus inferface adapter fitted, temporarily re-fitting the RD4 is the easiest way, as Neil says.
Daniel-123   
Tue Feb 18 2020, 06:38am
Thanks for the responses, guys.

If I were to buy a second-hand RD4 stereo, would it be straightforward enough to install? Just wondering if there are any codes or anything that would prevent using one that's not the original.

Cheers.
routemaster1   
Tue Feb 18 2020, 07:59am
Member No: #574
Daniel-123 wrote ...

Thanks for the responses, guys.

If I were to buy a second-hand RD4 stereo, would it be straightforward enough to install? Just wondering if there are any codes or anything that would prevent using one that's not the original.

Cheers.

You should be able to use a radio to change the speedo and clock without any problem, but to actually use the radio it would need to be coded to the car VIN number by use of diagbox. If you don't code it it will beep continually. If you don't code it you will need to keep switching radios twice a year to change the clock, and also if you decide to take it to the continent.
Daniel-123   
Thu Feb 20 2020, 05:12pm
Thanks for that! I'll try and get another radio to temporarily install for the change and see how I get on.
Coliliqui   
Thu Feb 20 2020, 05:16pm
Member No: #32746
Daniel-123 wrote ...

would it be straightforward enough to install?

Physical installation is fairly straight forward, if I recall correctly you just need a pair of the U-shaped radio keys to pull the radio unit out of the centre console. However, as routemaster1 said above the radio needs to be coded to your car's VIN otherwise it will beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep until you go mad.

I have a spare non-MP3 CD RD4 unit you could have, it's been gathering dust for the last 6 years as I took it out of my C4 not long after I bought it (I replaced it with a MP3 CD compatible RD4 from eBay which I coded to my car using DiagBox).
Coliliqui   
Thu Feb 20 2020, 05:22pm
Member No: #32746
Oh and just out of curiosity, what buttons does your steering wheel have at the bottom right? I thought the menu button was standard on all models but perhaps not! Here's a excerpt from the manual which shows where the controls are located on the steering wheel:

neilp   
Sat Feb 22 2020, 07:55am
Member No: #3384
Daniel-123 wrote ...

Thanks for that! I'll try and get another radio to temporarily install for the change and see how I get on.

To get the radio out you can use some pieces of wire coat hanger bent in a U shape, works just as well as buying a tool.
The radio may beep but because you only fit it temporarily then you need not worry. Just be careful while handling the radios and plugging and unplugging because you need to leave the battery connected.
Daniel-123   
Sat Feb 22 2020, 04:08pm
Coliliqui wrote ...

I have a spare non-MP3 CD RD4 unit you could have, it's been gathering dust for the last 6 years as I took it out of my C4 not long after I bought it (I replaced it with a MP3 CD compatible RD4 from eBay which I coded to my car using DiagBox).
That might be good! Do you want to send me a PM?

Coliliqui wrote ...

Oh and just out of curiosity, what buttons does your steering wheel have at the bottom right? I thought the menu button was standard on all models but perhaps not!
Here's a picture. It's not my car (just found it online), but it has the same buttons on the steering wheel. Only placeholders on the bottom half, unfortunately!

neilp wrote ...

To get the radio out you can use some pieces of wire coat hanger bent in a U shape, works just as well as buying a tool.
The radio may beep but because you only fit it temporarily then you need not worry. Just be careful while handling the radios and plugging and unplugging because you need to leave the battery connected.
Thanks for the advice! And yeah, I'll only be using it temporarily for changing the settings which shouldn't be too often, thankfully.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member