or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

Driver's seat padding collapsed

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
GALLOWAY2019   
Tue Feb 11 2020, 03:52pm
Member No: #53883
Hi,
I have got what seems to be a common problem with the C4GP's the collapsing drivers seat padding, read a few posts online and seems they used to offer a fix for this problem but as my car is a 2007 model that's long gone so i had an idea! would you be able to remove the drivers seat and get a matching front passenger seat from a breakers and fit that where the original drivers seat goes? I was thinking that if i find another used drivers seat chances are it will be knackered but a passenger seat might not have as much stick and as the side where you get in and out for driving the seat would be much firmer and maybe help the car last a bit longer. I have cloth seats i don't have velour like the exclusive model. My main question is would the passenger and drivers seat have the same mounting brackets and would it be an easy job? have attached a photo showing my cars seat fabric.
While I'm asking does the new C4GP's have any of the problems the old ones have or are they sorted?
Cheers
TriumphGuy   
Wed Feb 12 2020, 01:54am
Member No: #47272
I don't think you can just fit a passenger set on the driver's side. It might be possible to rebuild your driver's seat using a passenger seat as a source of spare parts. Have you looked into getting new parts from a dealer? It might not be as expensive as you think.
1 User said Thank You to TriumphGuy for this Post :
 GALLOWAY2019 (12 Feb 2020 : 16:54)
GALLOWAY2019   
Wed Feb 12 2020, 04:59pm
Hi,
I understand what ya saying, change of plan i have found a upholsterer 2 miles away from me and he said he can restore the seat with all new padding etc, he does them for classic cars so knows what he's doing. I have to remove the seat and he will come and collect it....how easy is it to remove the seats? I have a problem with my hands/back so not great with heavy stuff hopefully it will be four bolts will keep ya posted as if he does a good job if anyone else needs theirs doing they could get their local guy.
TriumphGuy   
Thu Feb 13 2020, 01:02am
There's 4 Torx bolts that secure the seat rails, a multiplug connector and the end of seatbelt to remove and the seat should come out. I had to remove my front passenger seat when I replaced the handbrake cables for the recent MoT on my C4GP (the handbrake actuator is situated under the front passenger seat). This is documented in Part 33 of my C4GP video series on my YouTube channel

- Click Here -

[Admin edit]Link corrected[/Admin edit]
 GALLOWAY2019 (13 Feb 2020 : 05:52)
GALLOWAY2019   
Thu Feb 13 2020, 06:01am
Cheers and tried your link above to your Youtube and wouldn't work BUT I have been watching your channel for ages and didn't realise you are the same guy what a job doing the suspension also I was born in sunny Halifax many years ago! I thought after watching your other videos you sounded like a West Yorkshire lad. Right thanks for your advice again and off out to get some Torx bits. You mentioned a multiplug what is that for? as far as i can tell i don't have anything electrical in my seats? cheers
TriumphGuy   
Thu Feb 13 2020, 07:00am
Yes that's me. I was born in Bradford which might explain my accent. My C4GP is the Exclusive model and it has a yellow electical multiplug connector under the seat so your's might not have one. My most popular C4GP upload is the EGS fluid return hose replacement video. Not cheap to fix but cheaper and easier than having to replace the actuator but that's another story.
GALLOWAY2019   
Thu Feb 13 2020, 04:33pm
The videos are great i spent hours watching them recently and was listening to the knocking on the suspension as ya drover round the block It would drive me mad , I lived near Bradford before seeking asylum up here after the Bradford Riots I got dragged off my motorbike by the scum in the town centre and hit with a fence post good job i had my crash helmet and leathers on but still got broken collarbone from them stamping on me..... if it wasn't for a young lass driving past it could have ended up much worse.....personally i would shoot the lot of them that rioted, no riots up here so far cheers
TriumphGuy   
Fri Feb 14 2020, 12:57am
I was still living in the city when it happened. I only left to move in with my good lady. The knocking sound on my recent C4GP vidoe was picked up on the MoT as loose front nearside damper bolts. I had to replace both front springs (offside one was another failure having broken) so it had to take them off and I made sure those damper bolts were tightened when I put them back together.
 GALLOWAY2019 (17 Feb 2020 : 13:44)
GALLOWAY2019   
Mon Feb 17 2020, 01:56pm
Been watching your Celica vidoes today! blimey you have tested everything so far, think there is 4 more to see before i am upto date. Cars and Bikes were much easier before all the electronic stuff. I have always fancied getting a classic car to restore, nowt too difficult and must be an automatic and easy for parts so thought of a MGB or something similar it needs to be roomy enough for me at 6ft 5" so mini's won't do and ya can't get automatic Beetles, I like the original Landrovers but again no automatics unless they have stuck a v8 in. I have my bikes Harley and BMW but want to learn more about basic car maintenance/restoration.Your Celica will be alright when its sorted but I think its testing you by refusing to run ok but you must be near sorting it as ya running out of things to check out.will check out the BMW and Triumph videos next. Ps I thought your name was Mike until i saw the others names on your production team Brian
TriumphGuy   
Tue Feb 18 2020, 01:29am
The credits at the end of my videos are all spoof names. it is just me and a GoPro. The Celica is now a non-runner with a blown 100A fuse. I've got some ordered. There's 2 more Celica videos to upload (Parts 26 & 27). once I've got it running again, I can get back to the original problem. Cars like the Triumph Herald/Vitesse, Triumph Spitfire, Morris Minor, classic Mini and MGB are good choices with just about everything available. I've got another C4GP video to upload.
 GALLOWAY2019 (19 Feb 2020 : 15:10)
GALLOWAY2019   
Wed Feb 19 2020, 03:21pm
Aye I saw the film crews names , the Celica is certainly testing your patience, look forward to seeing the other videos. The upholsterer is collecting my seat tomorrow. The mechanic who removed the seat for me last night thought it wasn't going to come out because he took the 4 Torx bolts out but the seat belt was still attached to the seat and the plastic seat trim stopped ya getting to the bolt to remove it but after raising the seat with the lever it gave good access and there was another Torx bolt holding the seatbelt bracket to the seat. There was loads of crumbled foam under the seat and also two things that we think are springs had come away from the side so that will be why the seat had dropped recently, the guy is going to reupholster the seat base and the cover is in good condition so everything will be the new foam, he's also going to replace the foam with much harder wearing foam as used in sofas and armchairs which will last for the rest of the cars life. I am impressed with the reversing camera i had fitted it helps greatly as i cannot twist my neck much plus i am a [%*^#@!] parker so anything that helps is a bonus . Cheers
GALLOWAY2019   
Thu Feb 20 2020, 04:17pm
Got my seat back today and its like new! he's done a great job and glad I got it sorted so all my seats are like new and i intend on keeping them that way so will put some seat covers on to protect them.Off on a photography trip next week to Argyle so should be a more comfortable trip than my last one where i was sitting on the metal frame the C4GP's are perfect for long trips and will be camping too so hopefully no gales but if it does i can kip in the car as i always have my camping kit complete with inflatable mattress and stove.
Cheers
GALLOWAY2019   
Fri Feb 21 2020, 05:21pm
Seats fitted back in the car and what a difference feels like a new seat.
1 User said Thank You to GALLOWAY2019 for this Post :
 tawhidahmed (11 Jun 2021 : 00:12)
tawhidahmed   
Fri Jun 11 2021, 12:13am
Member No: #55925
GALLOWAY2019 wrote ...

Seats fitted back in the car and what a difference feels like a new seat.

I'm looking to do the same on my C4 GP, how mmuch did it cost?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member