or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

Auto headlights and auto wipers playing up....

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Tescofriday   
Thu Feb 13 2020, 02:50pm
Member No: #47598
When i have my lights on auto on the stalk it basically turns my lights on even on the brightest day. They dont go off at all when on auto mode. Also when i put my wipers on to auto my wipers activate every few seconds even on a dry day and no water is on the windscreen. i know they are activated as i get the message on the display. its as if the car thinks its dark all the time and it is always raining.

Does anyone have any ideas on this. Any help would be great.

Its the Grand picasso version incase you need to know....
vexorg   
Fri Feb 14 2020, 03:14am
Member No: #48843
Not exactly the same model, but on the DS4 the auto for the headlights always has the sidlelights on.
routemaster1   
Fri Feb 14 2020, 03:35am
Member No: #574
Tescofriday wrote ...

When i have my lights on auto on the stalk it basically turns my lights on even on the brightest day. They dont go off at all when on auto mode. Also when i put my wipers on to auto my wipers activate every few seconds even on a dry day and no water is on the windscreen. i know they are activated as i get the message on the display. its as if the car thinks its dark all the time and it is always raining.

Does anyone have any ideas on this. Any help would be great.

Its the Grand picasso version incase you need to know....

Do you mean the daytime running lights or the headlights? The daytime running lights come on brightly until the headlights are on, and they then reduce brightness to effectively be sidelights. Also, if you select sidelights only they also come on at reduced brightness.

It is possible to switch the DRLs off via the menus, but I wouldn't do that. They will still act as sidelights though.
BigJohnD   
Fri Feb 14 2020, 05:22am

Member No: #82
Re the auto wipe.

Thoroughly clean the windscreen over the sensor in front of the mirror. Use a proprietary solvent and a clean cloth/paper towel.

It there is no improvement, the next step is new wiper blades. This will ensure all smears and drops of rain are removed from over the sensor.
Tescofriday   
Fri Feb 14 2020, 02:19pm
Member No: #47598
Thanks for all the replies guys. The drls work ok. It is the headlights that are on all the time. the stalk is always on auto but the headlights are always on. i would expect them to be off till it gets dull then the lights would come on automatically. But no even on the brightest sunny day the headlights are on. The only way to turn them off is to turn them off at the stalk. If i do that the the DRL's are on as normal. Its a strange one.

Will try cleaning the windscreen today and will get new wiper blades tomorrow and try that.

Is both the auto lights and the auto wipeers on the same sensor or do they have different sensos...
vexorg   
Sun Feb 16 2020, 05:30am
Must be the light/rain sensor that's fault on the windscreen, or connections.
Gavin0478   
Sun Feb 16 2020, 07:17am
Member No: #54721
The light sensor is not on the windscreen its the little black nipple on the dash behind the center display andbetween the two centre screen demist vents.
verycleverman   
Sun Feb 16 2020, 08:17am
Member No: #46275
Gavin0478 wrote ...

The light sensor is not on the windscreen its the little black nipple on the dash behind the center display andbetween the two centre screen demist vents.

No it's not. That's the sunshine detector; it boosts the A/C when it detects heat from the sun. The light sensor and rain detector are on the windscreen.

Pete.
routemaster1   
Sun Feb 16 2020, 09:27am
Member No: #574
verycleverman wrote ...

Gavin0478 wrote ...

No it's not. That's the sunshine detector; it boosts the A/C when it detects heat from the sun. The light sensor and rain detector are on the windscreen.

Pete.

As it looks almost identical to the little nipple on the bottom of the driver's door mirror, I suspect it is simply a thermometer. It monitors the internal temperature, whether is is sunny or not, and controls the auto heating/cooling/aircon.
verycleverman   
Mon Feb 17 2020, 08:38am
Member No: #46275
routemaster1 wrote ...

verycleverman wrote ...

Gavin0478 wrote ...

Pete.

As it looks almost identical to the little nipple on the bottom of the driver's door mirror, I suspect it is simply a thermometer. It monitors the internal temperature, whether is is sunny or not, and controls the auto heating/cooling/aircon.

It took a bit of finding, I based my assumption on the C5 & C6. If you look at page 92 of the handbook, under Comfort - Ventilation - Air distribution, Item 8 is the sunshine sensor. You can really feel and hear it when the air conditioning is on and it's cloudy, as soon as the sun comes out the a/c is boosted to compensate for the expected increase in cabin temperature.

Pete.
vexorg   
Tue Feb 18 2020, 07:15am
All automatic climate control systems have a sunlight sensor on the dash that is used to add extra heating/cooling as required.

The DS4 rain and light sensors are on the windscreen, I cant see the C4 using something different.

#simple to test, cover it up and see if your lights come on (for those with working autolights )

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member