or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

European Travel and Green Card

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
routemaster1   
Mon Feb 03 2020, 07:09am
Member No: #574
I've just received my insurance reminder, and I was a little surprised to find this clause right at the bottom.

'When driving in EU countries and those following EU Directives, if a green card has been issued, you'll have the same level of cover as you have in the UK for up to 180 days per policy year provided your vehicle is registered and normally kept in
Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or Channel Islands.

This seems to go against the government advice that green cards are not required for the remainder of the year, and in this case may be because the policy extends into the unknown 2021.

So just a reminder to check whether other insurance companies have a similar clause. No big issue if you are aware as the green cards are issued free.
BigJohnD   
Mon Feb 03 2020, 08:31am

Member No: #82
That'll be insurers playing safe. Brace yourself for the old fashioned certificates of temporary importation into and re-exportation out of the EU of motor vehicles.
routemaster1   
Mon Feb 03 2020, 09:20am
Member No: #574
BigJohnD wrote ...

That'll be insurers playing safe. Brace yourself for the old fashioned certificates of temporary importation into and re-exportation out of the EU of motor vehicles.

Don't remember that! I first went to France by ca in 1990, I don't recall whether you needed a green card then. First two trips long ferry crossings, then 3 times by hovercraft, the Channel Tunnel ever since. Just booked tunnel for the summer. Tesco's vouchers gave a crossing for £11.
BigJohnD   
Mon Feb 03 2020, 02:37pm

I thinking of the late 60s when I was a student - pre EEC days - driving to the Adriatic with all kinds of currencies and documents.
iscom   
Tue Feb 04 2020, 03:26am
Member No: #20936
I just booked two ferry trips one to Liverpool £210 Rtn and one to France £300 Rtn I book did notice as charges and levies such a environmental and fuel surcharges
BigJohnD   
Wed Feb 05 2020, 08:23am

iscom wrote ...

I just booked two ferry trips one to Liverpool £210 Rtn and one to France £300 Rtn I book did notice as charges and levies such a environmental and fuel surcharges

No doubt you know, but the ferries from Ireland dock on the Birkenhead side of the river, not on the Liverpool side. It might be a mile from the Princes Parade cruise terminal across the river but it's about 6 miles by car or a Mersey Ferry ride for foot passengers (during daytime).

iscom   
Wed Feb 05 2020, 09:32am
oups They use to now they dock at Gladstone dock Liverpool Was Merchants Ferries now P&O ferries
1 User said Thank You to iscom for this Post :
 BigJohnD (05 Feb 2020 : 16:33)
verycleverman   
Fri Feb 07 2020, 04:51am
Member No: #46275
Surely the better bet is the ferry to Holyhead. It's a fairly trouble free run along the North Wales coast and far quicker. I used get airline discount on that route, £20 return for the car and up to four passengers!
iscom   
Fri Feb 07 2020, 05:58am
verycleverman wrote ...

Surely the better bet is the ferry to Holyhead. It's a fairly trouble free run along the North Wales coast and far quicker. I used get airline discount on that route, £20 return for the car and up to four passengers!

The main reason I use P&O is it leaves Dublin at 9am and gets into Liverpool an 5:30 and I can travel to Kent during late evening missing most of the traffic plus the fare does includes two Free Meals
FrankBullitt   
Sat Feb 08 2020, 12:53am

Member No: #19238
I suspect the terms and conditions were printed in line with the new leaving date as they can’t keep printing different versions!

As you say it doesn’t apply now until 31st December and depending on if there is a deal it may not apply after that date.
verycleverman   
Sat Feb 08 2020, 04:30am
Member No: #46275
FrankBullitt wrote ...

As you say it doesn’t apply now until 31st December and depending on if there is a deal it may not apply after that date.

Only the most optimistic person imagines there will be a deal. Once that majority was reached, any hope of a deal went out of the window. you might as well apply for your Green Card, International Driving Permit and Travel Insurance now and beat the rush.

Pete.
iscom   
Sun Feb 09 2020, 12:26pm
I use the vehicle inquiry service to print out proof of road tax while driving in the EU especially in Ireland who still use "Tax Disc" as well as "MOT" and "Insurance Disc" and they still think uk have Tax Disc
iscom   
Mon Feb 24 2020, 07:11am
I did my trip to UK without any problems. . But first time ever that I never had to stop . . left ferry 20min later hit the M57, M62, M6, M40, M25 and M20 to Snodland kent not stopping once no traffic jams. . and to top it all I filled up In Dublin drove to Kent and back to Galway Ireland filled up with 50.1 Lts (66.96 Euro) doing 58.7 mpg with 845 miles. . Next now to have a 120k service before going to Valencia Spain next month
BigJohnD   
Mon Feb 24 2020, 07:30am

That's good fuel figures!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member