or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: The Garage

C4 BlueHDI 120 Knocking Noise

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
JFOXON88   
Wed Jan 15 2020, 10:17am
Member No: #55405
Hello everyone, Im new to this forum so go easy on me

October 2018 i purchased a 65 plate C4 Bluehdi 120 Flair, and I love the car but its developed a annoying knocking noise at the front passenger side, I have replaced the Droplinks and it hasnt fixed the issue. The issue is when it is at low speeds and goes over bumps the knocking noise starts. It doesnt really make a noise if im going over 30 mph and go over a bump.

it had a MOT and Service in October last year and the knocking noise was present then but the garage didnt find a fault, they never took it for a test drive though.

Any ideas as to what this could be?

Thank you in advance
vexorg   
Wed Jan 15 2020, 10:32am
Member No: #48843
Could be lots of things, you;d need to start having a proper look. Bottom balljoint, lower arm bushes, track rod ends, top mount bearing, engine mount,
Pauldmackay   
Sat Jan 18 2020, 09:36am
Member No: #47497
I’ve had the same problem. I changed drop links, wishbones, balljoints the knock remained. Finally removed the shock to change the top mount and beating which had some play but the fault was with the shock absorber.

There was some play in shock absorber shaft and this was the cause of the knocking. A bad batch was fitted to cars in 2015, mentioned a lot on french forums and it’s usually the passenger side. Citroen dealer was cheaper than aftermarket with the Genuine part around £60 each. Only way to check is to have the shock removed from the car and the spring removed. Both front shocks will need replaced. Best to change shock and top mount bearing and top mount (2 parts)which is probably also worn.
1 User said Thank You to Pauldmackay for this Post :
 JFOXON88 (07 Feb 2020 : 11:02)
JFOXON88   
Sat Jan 18 2020, 02:39pm
Pauldmackay wrote ...

I’ve had the same problem. I changed drop links, wishbones, balljoints the knock remained. Finally removed the shock to change the top mount and beating which had some play but the fault was with the shock absorber.

There was some play in shock absorber shaft and this was the cause of the knocking. A bad batch was fitted to cars in 2015, mentioned a lot on french forums and it’s usually the passenger side. Citroen dealer was cheaper than aftermarket with the Genuine part around £60 each. Only way to check is to have the shock removed from the car and the spring removed. Both front shocks will need replaced. Best to change shock and top mount bearing and top mount (2 parts)which is probably also worn.

Thanks for the info, thats what I was dreading that it would be the shocks. What am I looking at for the cost to replace both side, its a bit out of my diy'er capabilities haha

vexorg   
Sun Jan 19 2020, 05:54am
Technically, it's only about 4 nuts you need to remove to get the whole shock/strut out. Nut on the top, two for the hub joint, and the antirollbar
JFOXON88   
Sun Jan 19 2020, 01:59pm
vexorg wrote ...

Technically, it's only about 4 nuts you need to remove to get the whole shock/strut out. Nut on the top, two for the hub joint, and the antirollbar

Think I will give it a go, pain in the [%*^#@!] bit seems taking off the wiper, the grill what do I need a new shock absorber and new top mounting? is the anything else?
vexorg   
Sun Jan 19 2020, 03:09pm
One of the wipers on mine give a real fight to get off.
JFOXON88   
Fri Feb 07 2020, 11:01am
UPDATE: Just got the car back from Citreon, I rang up 2 weeks ago to get a quote for the replacement parts, they advised me about some outstanding warranty recalls so booked it in and asked them to look at the shocks while they were doing the recalls

went in for
Cambelt tensioner replacement and new belt
adblue tank cap replacement
exhaust check

they checked the shocks and both needed replacing but when I bought the car I took out extended warranty so both shocks have been replaced and covered under the warranty, I just had to pay £50 for new engine mounts on both sides as the warranty wouldnt cover them but covered the £500+ cost to replace both shocks

when I collected the car the citreon garage showed me my old shocks and the play in them was unbelievable, could easily compress them by hand. Car feels like new again and it is now a joy to drive
1 User said Thank You to JFOXON88 for this Post :
 Welshgasman (17 May 2020 : 10:24)
Pauldmackay   
Fri Feb 07 2020, 11:38am
Member No: #47497
Glad to hear it’s sorted. You’ll notice a big difference, the originals shocks should have lasted a lot longer but as I wrote before Citroen must have had a bad batch because it’s comes up a lot for 2015 cars in the Uk and elsewhere. There probably the last thing you suspect to be knocking.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member