or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 2005 petrol hatch - problematic start after a cylinder-head redo

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
szabgab   
Sat Dec 21 2019, 06:30am
Member No: #37914
Dear all,

I have a very specific problem, nobody seems to be able to correct. Please do not torch me, if this is something, that was covered before, I have tried in vain to search the forum for a solution.

Anyway, my story in short - timing belt broke on my C4 1.6 2005 hatch and I had no other choice than to get it serviced where I was - 300 miles from home. Apart from it being an expensive repair, the engine started to consume excessive amounts of oil and my normal place of repair said, I would need to get the head off for inspection, which I was not really wanting to do. Anyway, cold start was an issue, engine ran on 3.5 cylinders till warm and 2000 miles later one of the inlet valves burned, compression has gone and the head had to come off anyway. Upon getting the car back everything is good again except a strange behaviour, my garage manager is just scratching his head about - namely if you start the engine cold it initially runs just fine, but after 20-30 seconds starts to shake and soon the antipollution fault comes on and the engine runs on 3 cylinders. If you stop the engine and re-start it inmediately, cars starts on four cylinders and stays that way. Also if you drive away with the car on the first start it will not enter into 3 cylinder mode. If you start the engine, kill it before it enters 3 cylinder mode and restart it inmediately, it will stay normal, e.g. running on all four cylinders. They have traced their steps back and checked everything, they disturbed, changed the spark plugs, tried aa new distributor, checked wiring, changed crank position sensor, etc., but car is just the same. They think, this could be some computer problem but say, the computer can not be changed on it's own to check, if that sorts the problem. Any idea, what this could be?

Thank you,

Gabriel
vexorg   
Sat Dec 21 2019, 12:25pm
Member No: #48843
Personally, I'd take the head off inspect everything yourself, and check all pipework and sensors on the rebuild.

There's not enough information there, was the head examined, reskimmed? valves inspected or replaced?, valve seats and stems checked? cams not damaged? re-timed correctly?
rusky   
Sat Dec 21 2019, 03:05pm
Member No: #27768
Get the fault codes read before going tearing into the head.
szabgab   
Sat Dec 21 2019, 04:56pm
vexorg wrote ...

Personally, I'd take the head off inspect everything yourself, and check all pipework and sensors on the rebuild.

There's not enough information there, was the head examined, reskimmed? valves inspected or replaced?, valve seats and stems checked? cams not damaged? re-timed correctly?

Hi, thanks for your reply. On this first go that far away service changed the bent valves but not the seats, apparently that was, what caused trouble, as one of the guides where oval in shape and let some oil to drip through, on to the valve and burning it to pieces in short order. The next time everything has been done by the book - new valves, new guides, new seals, everything inspected, re-seated, skimmed and adjusted. Timing was also done correctly, and if it weren't, should not cause that trouble all the time? My bet would be on some electrical gremlins, but I'm no mechanic by any means and can go by only what the garage is telling me
szabgab   
Sat Dec 21 2019, 04:58pm
rusky wrote ...

Get the fault codes read before going tearing into the head.

The garage is telling me, the engine is giving a generic fault, e.g. something along the lines of unspecified cylinder trouble, or something like that. I could ask for a code, next time they tinker with it, however they are not a Citroen specific garage, so their diagnostic tool might be not too exact in getting things

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member