or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

Key fob not recognised even if in dash

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
RWorgan   
Mon Dec 16 2019, 04:30am
Member No: #55213
Our C4GP has stopped recognising one of our keys completely and is now starting to fail to recognise the second. We've replace batteries in both fobs and followed the manual instructions to reset the key.
We have started inserting the key under the start/stop button with every journey yet when we go to turn the engine off, it displays the message of 'key not present, long press to turn off engine' and it only stop with a long press.

We've reset the keys but we're now a bit stumped.

Anyone else encountered this?
Any ideas?
neilp   
Mon Dec 16 2019, 07:43am
Member No: #3384
Although I realise it's a different car, I've had problems with my 2016 DS4 in the past few weeks. I think mine was down to a low battery in the fob, but the handbook says it will warn of low battery. (but it didn't)
Mine is keyless for doors and ignition.

Is there a chance the car battery is failing (or low) have you had that checked? Some times disconnecting the battery for say 15mins will reset the system and all is well afterwards.
Hopefully someone else will have other ideas.
1 User said Thank You to neilp for this Post :
 RWorgan (16 Dec 2019 : 15:47)
routemaster1   
Sat Dec 21 2019, 05:34am
Member No: #574
The slot for the fob does not really have much function. It is really only a place to store the key.
RWorgan   
Wed Apr 22 2020, 05:14pm
Hi, so since this post the car has been to a citroen dealership twice for investigation of the ntermittent fault with videos supplied of the fault when it occurs but we've been told the following excuses;

- the batteries needed replacing (even though this had been done a couple of times by us already)
- you need to make sure you insert each key into the dash slot every so often for it to be recalibrated by the car (we drive with the key in there approx 50% of all journeys made)
- don't have both keys in the car at the same time (this just seems bizarre)
- the car isn't registering a fault code so there isn't an issue (this is despite me sending videos showing the car saying the key isn't present even though it's clearly in the key slot/on the dash/in the car)
- if they can't recreate the fault they aren't responsible if we get stuck and can't start the car somewhere....(our breakdown won't cover us as it's a known fault/fault under investigation)

They have said they'll keep the car until Friday (they've had it since Monday) to try and recreate the fault but then they wont investigate it further!?
Any ideas before I bang my hear against a brick wall?!

(I'm a frontline NHS Nurse which is why my car is currently being looked at)
routemaster1   
Thu Apr 23 2020, 02:06am
RWorgan wrote ...

Hi, so since this post the car has been to a citroen dealership twice for investigation of the ntermittent fault with videos supplied of the fault when it occurs but we've been told the following excuses;

- the batteries needed replacing (even though this had been done a couple of times by us already)
- you need to make sure you insert each key into the dash slot every so often for it to be recalibrated by the car (we drive with the key in there approx 50% of all journeys made)
- don't have both keys in the car at the same time (this just seems bizarre)
- the car isn't registering a fault code so there isn't an issue (this is despite me sending videos showing the car saying the key isn't present even though it's clearly in the key slot/on the dash/in the car)
- if they can't recreate the fault they aren't responsible if we get stuck and can't start the car somewhere....(our breakdown won't cover us as it's a known fault/fault under investigation)

They have said they'll keep the car until Friday (they've had it since Monday) to try and recreate the fault but then they wont investigate it further!?
Any ideas before I bang my hear against a brick wall?!

(I'm a frontline NHS Nurse which is why my car is currently being looked at)

First of all, thank you and all of your colleagues for what you a doing for us all in very difficult times.

Interesting excuses. Surely they have a tester which will test the radio frequency output from the keys.

I can confirm that you do not need to place the keys in the holder once in a while. Ours hardly ever are placed in there, and have been no issue. Our C3 has the same system and doesn't have a dock.

We have travelled all over Europe with both keys in the car. The only issue I have ever had is that occasionally my wife leaves her key in the car, so then it won't lock.

Do you have an issue with one key or does it occur with both?

How old is the car, and is there any kind of warranty?I understand you are in a difficult position but is there another dealer you can take it to? Some apper to be working almost normally.
rusky   
Thu Apr 23 2020, 02:07am
Member No: #27768
As a start, I would email Citroen UK with the videos & discussions between you & the dealer.
1 User said Thank You to rusky for this Post :
 RWorgan (23 Apr 2020 : 03:21)
RWorgan   
Thu Apr 23 2020, 03:20am
routemaster1 wrote ...

First of all, thank you and all of your colleagues for what you a doing for us all in very difficult times.

Interesting excuses. Surely they have a tester which will test the radio frequency output from the keys.

I can confirm that you do not need to place the keys in the holder once in a while. Ours hardly ever are placed in there, and have been no issue. Our C3 has the same system and doesn't have a dock.

We have travelled all over Europe with both keys in the car. The only issue I have ever had is that occasionally my wife leaves her key in the car, so then it won't lock.

Do you have an issue with one key or does it occur with both?

How old is the car, and is there any kind of warranty?I understand you are in a difficult position but is there another dealer you can take it to? Some apper to be working almost normally.

The car is a 2016 plate (before the space tourer facelift) and no longer under warranty - we've paid the dealership £75 to sort the fault with the evidence of it)

The fault occurs with both keys not just the one (we have asked if the receiver/transmitter in the car is fault which we were told wasn't coding a fault so no)

There is another dealership it can go to but it will be another fee to have the car looked at and we don't have the spare money to throw at diagnostics especially if we then need to pay for a part/(s) and labour to fix the issue.
All very frustrating at an already stressful time!
routemaster1   
Thu Apr 23 2020, 06:20am
The trouble with modern cars and dealers are that they can be absolutely reliant on the computers. Just because there is no fault recorded doesn't mean that there is no fault. I, like you, suspect the receiver. You could ask them to change it, but the risk is that if it doesn't fix it you have wasted your money. May be the only way to go though.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 RWorgan (23 Apr 2020 : 13:17)
verycleverman   
Fri Apr 24 2020, 08:39am
Member No: #46275
rusky wrote ...

As a start, I would email Citroen UK with the videos & discussions between you & the dealer.

At which point Citroen UK will tell you to refer to the dealer! I haven't managed to get a answer to any technical query since CUK moved from Slough.

Pete.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member