or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Think it is time to change cars - investment of more money?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
moleman   
Mon Dec 02 2019, 07:35am
Member No: #16299
Car 11 years old now - 138000 miles mostly trouble free, Mot just passed again (never failed) but parts are now requiring replacement and they are expensive. Likely to spend more in the next year than the car is worth. Loved this car but maybe time to have something more modern and not a diesel. Loved the full auto gear box, never want to go back to manual. Thats it, hard decision to make ahead, but think it is time to change. wish people would see just how good a car the GP was, ahead of its time.
iscom   
Mon Dec 02 2019, 08:27am
Member No: #20936
". . .but parts are now requiring replacement and they are expensive. Likely to spend more in the next year. . ."

But not as much as a younger car
BigJohnD   
Mon Dec 02 2019, 11:34am

Member No: #82
iscom wrote ...

". . .but parts are now requiring replacement and they are expensive. Likely to spend more in the next year. . ."

But not as much as a younger car

That was my thinking in a similar situation - Eolys refill, cambelt/water pump change, pads and discs all round &c. all due.

Sadly, very unhelpful dealers after 15 years of my custom led me to buy another marque. Who are marginally better!
iscom   
Mon Dec 02 2019, 12:10pm
it's a case of the devil you know The mileage of my car is creeping up now but would be prepared to spend the money on it to keep in perfect condition, as it's such a good car with good spec
DeuxChevaux   
Tue Dec 03 2019, 03:15am
Member No: #16472
Difficult choices but at 2008 the car is not wrth much, if it's just maintainance due to age and mileage I would say keep it and run it into the ground. A newer will cost a lot and will still cost to have maintained.
Must say my current car is 2015 DS4 with Eat 6 autobox and a 180bhp diesel engine and is compliant with the ultra low sulphur emissions - and 50 mpg local. And £30 tax! I am keeping this one for a decade or so until either petrol/ hydygen/ electric gets better and cheaper. I still think diesels have a long way to go.
verycleverman   
Tue Dec 03 2019, 05:37pm
Member No: #46275
DeuxChevaux wrote ...

Difficult choices but at 2008 the car is not wrth much, if it's just maintainance due to age and mileage I would say keep it and run it into the ground. A newer will cost a lot and will still cost to have maintained.
Must say my current car is 2015 DS4 with Eat 6 autobox and a 180bhp diesel engine and is compliant with the ultra low sulphur emissions - and 50 mpg local. And £30 tax! I am keeping this one for a decade or so until either petrol/ hydygen/ electric gets better and cheaper. I still think diesels have a long way to go.

I absolutely agree. I traded my C6 in for a 2015 C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi blue auto with the EAT6 box. I had just spent almost £1,000 on the C6 and when I asked the garage to identify the source of a hydraulic leak, that was dripping on the drive, they found it was the power steering pipes. These pipes are no longer available from Citroen so the car had to go. I was gutted to let the C6 go, not least because I still had 3 years left to pay on it, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. On the plus side, it costs £20 a year road tax versus £550 and it does around 50 MPG versus 30 mpg. Also, the map updates for the RT4 on the C6 were discontinued after the 2017 update whereas the SMEG updates will continue for some time yet.
FrankBullitt   
Wed Dec 04 2019, 01:29am

Member No: #19238
If you like the car, why not spend the money on it - if you feel it is time to move on then again it’s time. I’ve just spent a few quid shy of £1k on my A2, a full service (every 4 years) coincided with the 5-yearly cambelt and water pump change plus it needed two (unique to the A2 and therefore expensive) tyres - but I plan to keep the car for ever even if it’s retired from daily use at some point. At 145k and 15 years old even in good condition it’s worth £1500 as a private sale but it’s value to me is greater.

I suspect whatever you spend on your car it’s only the same as a few months depreciation on a newer car, only you can decide what you want to do.
moleman   
Fri Dec 06 2019, 03:37am
Member No: #16299
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, I have maintained this car to a high standard and the upcoming costs just make me think it is time to update. I also find the approach taken by the dealers to be less than helpful given the many years I have been a customer. This has changed in recent years, they used to be good. Also I feel now maybe the right time for me to invest in hybrid, given the pressure to remove diesel cars from the road. I will be sorry to see the GP go but also looking forward to enjoying a new car. While rare the early Full auto was a great car.
iscom   
Fri Dec 06 2019, 04:45am
I hope you know what car your going to change to . . Honestly in my own situation I would have no idea what car I would change to if it was me . . Over the years I would continually looking at cars on line but have not looked at any sites for well over a year due to me being 100% happy with my present car. Even when at dealers looking at cars none seem to come near mine other than the newer type gearbox and engine . . I think it would be cheaper to have a engine gear box transplant if it was possible to do this on my present car
vexorg   
Fri Dec 06 2019, 06:41am
Member No: #48843
As long as there's no rust then most issues are affordable to fix. I tend to find even reapired rust will eventually make it's way back in there.

Mechanically, all the rest is just nuts and bolts

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member