or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Ice and Satnav questions

2018 C4GP mute sat nav

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
hatchm   
Sat Nov 30 2019, 11:25am
Member No: #41421
Hi, I have just bought a 2018 C4GP Flair with the connect nav. However, I can't for the life of me work out how to mute the nav instructions. I have worked out how to adjust the volume as that is the same as the built in TomTom in my van, but in the Picasso I can only find an option to completely turn off the voice instructions rather than just mute. But doing this is long winded and also deselects the option to say road names when re-enabling.

If I'm on a long journey I often like to have the sat nav running so I can see where I am, plus my daughter likes to see without having to ask the dreaded "are we there yet?" question.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
dmpzsn   
Sat Nov 30 2019, 11:47am
Member No: #25128
If you put the sat nav on without putting in a destination it will give you the main street/road names and a pointer as to your location, you can also zoom in/out which I use a lot. It's handy when looking for a street near your immediate location. I also display the map on the main display, although this doesn't give street names it does display traffic problems ahead. Though not always that accurate.
1 User said Thank You to dmpzsn for this Post :
 hatchm (30 Nov 2019 : 12:18)
hatchm   
Sat Nov 30 2019, 12:28pm
Thanks for the reply, but not really what I'm after.

I like to enter the destination and then mute the voice commands so I can see the eta, miles remaining etc. If I don't know where I'm going I'll often then turn them back on nearer the destination so it can then guide me for the last bit.

It seems like a bit of a limitation if I can't mute the instructions as it will be the first car I have had where this can't be done. We previously had a 2014 GP and that was really easy to do, then replaced it two years ago, but the navigation itself was pretty shocking.

If it can't be done then I'll have to use android auto with Google maps, but with this I can't have the navigation on the top screen rather than look down.
vexorg   
Sun Dec 01 2019, 04:39am
Member No: #48843
Why would you want the sat nav on and then mute it?

On the older ones you can turn set the volume of the voice while it's speaking. Just try turn it right down.
Though turning it back up is tricky as you need to do it when theyare talking, otherwise it'll turn up the radio
iscom   
Sun Dec 01 2019, 04:49am
Member No: #20936
I understand what you mean I use google maps which lets you to mute the directions which always seem to come on when you listing to the news on the radio you miss parts of it
hatchm   
Mon Dec 02 2019, 01:47pm
vexorg wrote ...

Why would you want the sat nav on and then mute it?

On the older ones you can turn set the volume of the voice while it's speaking. Just try turn it right down.
Though turning it back up is tricky as you need to do it when theyare talking, otherwise it'll turn up the radio

Yeah, that's how it works on the new one too, but it won't let you lower it passed 7. You can click on the instructions if you want it to repeat the last instruction, so is actually quite easy to set. We previously had a 2014 GP from new till about 2 years ago and that had the option to mute the instructions, as did the Kia that replaced it, my Renault master van (also TomTom) and every stand alone sat nav I have owned or used. Tbh, this is the first that I have come across that you can't do it on...

I don't rely solely on sat nav for directions, if I'm going somewhere I will generally know where I'm going and don't need it to tell me to keep right on the motorway that I've travelled down dozens of times before, so I'll mute the voice and then turn it on when I get to where I need the instructions.

Plus on a long journey my daughter likes to see the sat nav so she knows how far we have to go. We often travel from Devon to Berkshire to see my parents, I know the way, but it saves her asking every 10 minutes on a 3.5 hour journey. Plus it's quite nice to see the miles remaining so I know where we are. So in my head I think "why wouldn't you want to mute it?"

Anyway, I found on a Peugeot forum that it seems the only way is to turn off the setting in "voice" as I'd previously found, but this seems counter intuitive and a faff when driving. So I guess I'll just have to use Google maps with android auto and just not have the navigation on the top screen and hope they come to their senses and add the option in a future update. At least with that I can use voice commands.

Thanks all for your input anyway.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member