or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Technical Questions

Rear brake discs

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Nickrachel   
Wed Nov 27 2019, 04:12am
Member No: #55116
Hello everybody,

I've got my parents rear pads and discs to replace while they are away on holiday. Just gone to order said parts to be asked if it has the wheel bearings built into the disc. Now is there an easy way of finding this out or is it a case of stripping it down to find out? It's a 2008 5dr C4 VTR+.

Any help would be great.
vexorg   
Wed Nov 27 2019, 06:40am
Member No: #48843
Phone Citroen parts and ask for a price on the discs and if the bearing is included??
BigJohnD   
Wed Nov 27 2019, 07:56am

Member No: #82
Genuine Citroen disc with bearing and ABS ring.

It's best to order the discs with the bearings. Makes the job much easier. You should also make sure the ABS ring is included - you can transfer the original but the chances are you'll not get it cleanly fitted first time or even damage it.

Do have the VIN handy to get the correct discs.

- Click Here - for details of the job. Note you will more than likely need a left hand re-wind tool for the driver's/RH side pistons.
verycleverman   
Wed Nov 27 2019, 05:15pm
Member No: #46275
Or you could get the Dealer to do the job under their fixed price deal - £279 all in.
DeuxChevaux   
Wed Nov 27 2019, 05:26pm
Member No: #16472
C4's are a pain and need discs which include the hub, abs ring and bearings. Don't even think about drifting the old bearings out to fit in new hubs, they will not make the transfer. Shop around. They used to cost over £100 each side, the last pair I did cost abot £82 for a pair - ebay/ eurocarparts/ car parts direct/ etc
vexorg   
Thu Nov 28 2019, 05:38am
Member No: #48843
Did they change for later cars?
My DS4 is 2011 and didn't have the bearing in the disc. Disc just went over the hub, like the front do.
DeuxChevaux   
Thu Nov 28 2019, 03:19pm
Maybe they did David - 2007 and 2008 they didn't - that said my sons 307 of an earlier age had removeable discs without the hubs and abs rings - I did say C4's are a pain!
jaizan   
Sun Apr 26 2020, 04:48pm
Member No: #49114
DeuxChevaux wrote ...

Maybe they did David - 2007 and 2008 they didn't - that said my sons 307 of an earlier age had removeable discs without the hubs and abs rings - I did say C4's are a pain!

I have a 2007 C4 2.0 HDI, with these horrible discs combined with the hub & bearing.

I note some of the parts catalogues have the option of the disc on it's own -to fit a separate hub. Or a disc with the bearing combined. Both have the same disc diameter and thickness and are for a Lucas caliper.

What I would ideally like to do is buy new hubs and new discs, so that next time my discs need replacing, I can just change the discs only.
An example hub is below.

Does anyone know anything about the interchangeability of these parts ?

Disc diameter and offset is OK, but obviously there are other factors like axial position of the disc and whether or not the ABS sensor lines up, with the correct air gap.

Having an engineering background, I will have no problem checking this once I get my hands on the parts, but it's preferable to know in advance, so I don't have to get into returning parts, if they don't fit.

DeuxChevaux   
Mon Apr 27 2020, 02:54am
Looks like a good idea, however, on our C4's the rear discs have lasted over 100,000 miles on all of them, all were 1.6 models and on my sons 2.0l 307 with removeable discs they lasted a similar distance before needing replacement so personally I wouldn't bother. I suppose if you live in an area which requires a lot of breaking effort from the rear wheels (towing maybe) then it might be financially wothwhile
1 User said Thank You to DeuxChevaux for this Post :
 jaizan (01 May 2020 : 04:24)
jaizan   
Fri May 01 2020, 04:57am
Member No: #49114
Thanks. It's the corrosion that usually finishes off my discs.
However, I'll probably abandon the idea of fitting separate hubs. I just missed the end of month discount at Euro Car parts (was ~£38.50 each), so will wait for a suitable alternative offer.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member