or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

PSA and Fiat to merger

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
routemaster1   
Thu Oct 31 2019, 03:15am
Member No: #574
See here. - Click Here -

Richard_C   
Thu Oct 31 2019, 06:37am
Member No: #46470
Welcome to the Citroen 308 Cinquecento Grandland X Voyager.

Gives them a US presence which they haven't really had so far. That means we will have common ownership (and presumably product strategy) of Peugeot, Citroen, DS, Vauxhall, Opel, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Lancia, Chrysler, Dodge, RAM, Jeep and maybe some I've forgotten.

Maybe right now someone in product planning is thinking "if we had a big Citroen floorpan we could pop a Maserati engine in, wouldn't that be a great thing......"

Its a bit of an odd mix. Think VAG: clearly defined public perception of the brands with a "mass market posh" Audi at the top. I wonder what direction PSA will go in, seems to have lots of overlaps especially in the UK. surely you wouldn't want to have the 106/C1, Adam and Fiat Panda competing for market share, or Tipo/308/Astra in the same space unless they are all the same underneath.

I wonder which brands and dealer networks will still be here in 5 years time.
FrankBullitt   
Thu Oct 31 2019, 01:50pm

Member No: #19238
Richard_C wrote ...

Think VAG: clearly defined public perception of the brands with a "mass market posh" Audi at the top. I wonder what direction PSA will go in, seems to have lots of overlaps especially in the UK. surely you wouldn't want to have the 106/C1, Adam and Fiat Panda competing for market share, or Tipo/308/Astra in the same space unless they are all the same underneath.

I wonder which brands and dealer networks will still be here in 5 years time.

You’d happily have all those brands with the cars sharing 70-80% of tech/ infrastructure/ engineering and meant you could reach a wide audience - ultimately there is a market to sell the variety of cars at the moment, drive down the cost of development on each unit and it’s a winner all around.

PSA gets access to North America and FCA access to money makers wider than the 500 range!
Richard_C   
Thu Oct 31 2019, 02:32pm
Member No: #46470
with the cars sharing 70-80% of tech/ infrastructure/ engineering

Like I said - unless they are all the same underneath.

Just looked at SMMT year to date sales (end Sept). Vauxhall added a huge amount to PSA market share in UK, all of Fiat will be about 1/4 of Vauxhall and the total still way behind VAG. I can't see a 10 marque dealer network surviving long term but the way they do sales might change.

As an aside, DS sales are way down, only 2800 ytd, 4600 last year which still isn't much. Chevrolet dealers must be celebrating with champagne - 62 sold this year, more than double last year. 6 dealers, that's one a month each. "Hey, there's a guy here wants to buy a new car". "Tell him to come back next week, I'm busy...."

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member