or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe Hatch and General Questions

Cheapest way to get new key?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Ram80   
Sun Oct 20 2019, 06:06am
Member No: #53426
I've unfortunately lost both my keys and am looking for the cheapest way to get a new key.

From what I can make out, I can buy a new blank key and have it cut then programmed.

Now to get it both cut and programmed I need two codes which I can either get from dealer or locksmith or use a scan tool on the car.

Could I actually buy a scanner, retrieve the codes and program the key myself and if so do you have any idea what the cheapest scan tool is?

Afaics, it's an ID46 chip I need and it also seems there are several different frequencies they can operate at.

To top it all off I can't even get into the car as it's locked but I do have breakdown cover so this should be OK.

So basically I'm looking for the cheapest way.

So one option is, call out RAC to open car, or just get the locksmith. Call a mobile locksmith to come out and read codes, then get locksmith to cut a key then finally get him back to car to program the key transponder. GROAN!

So if I could get a scan tool for under £100 I'd be as well trying to do it myself then sell the scan tool?

I'd really appreciate any help.
iscom   
Sun Oct 20 2019, 06:07am
Member No: #20936
Do you not have "Lost Key" cover on your insurance
Ram80   
Sun Oct 20 2019, 06:57am
No.
BigJohnD   
Sun Oct 20 2019, 02:50pm

Member No: #82
Oh dear. If you don't have insurance, a locksmith is the best option. The RAC might open the door but you'll still need keys.

Ideally, you need to change all the locks and ignition as if the lost keys are found, you are vulnerable.
Ram80   
Sun Oct 20 2019, 03:20pm
But how would they know what car to use the keys in?

And as I asked initially, do you know or a scan tool/key programmer for this car?
BigJohnD   
Sun Oct 20 2019, 04:39pm

Member No: #82
Press the button and the indicators flash. Chances are you lost your keys near where the car is frequently parked.
Ram80   
Mon Oct 21 2019, 12:54am
Is it worthwhile looking for a key programmer. I think the OBDSTAR H108 can do it for around £100.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member