or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

Low particle filter fluid

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
LakiTC   
Tue Aug 13 2019, 08:37am
Member No: #54409
Hi everyone. So I've got this message on the screen and after googling I decided to remove the fuel additive container to add some fluid.
When I removed it, I discovered that it seems to be full. I mean I didn't open it but when I shake it it seems to have some fluid there. What is the minimum level when it sends the message. If it is say 1 liter then it would make sense. My concern is if it pumps the additive to the tank at all. Is there a way to check it? Can I remove the input hose and start the car to see will it sprinkle the fluid out? Is it safe to do that?
Also, what else other then resetting the message can and should I do? I see that there are some additive kits of 1 liter on ebay. Is it enough to add 1 liter?
I know I am asking too many questions but all I read is related to older models.
Thanks
routemaster1   
Tue Aug 13 2019, 09:37am
Member No: #574
If the car hasn't done 80,000 miles (~13000 km), there may be an issue with the system. I'm not sure what the capacity is. The system only pumps fluid into the fuel tank about the time the fuel cap has been opened. Additions are made at, say 500 miles (800km) intervals. So each addition is actually quite small.

If you do refill/replace the fluid, you will need to reset the system using Lexia/diagbox. If you do not do this, no fluid will be pumped, and you risk the particle filter blocking.

There is little difference between the earliest or latest versions, apart from the composition of the fluid changing from time to time, and the change from a fillable container to pouches. Note that some types of fluid can be mixed, others are incompatible. It is important to use the correct type for your car.
LakiTC   
Tue Aug 13 2019, 10:17am
The car has 88k. So some 50k in miles.
If I understand correctly it stops pumping when you fill it up? How is that? The system stops when it is low on fluid and then needs resetting?
What if I just put it back and drive it for another 1500 until the summer ends and then go to the garage? Is that a big risk?
routemaster1   
Tue Aug 13 2019, 11:05am
Member No: #574
LakiTC wrote ...

The car has 88k. So some 50k in miles.
If I understand correctly it stops pumping when you fill it up? How is that? The system stops when it is low on fluid and then needs resetting?
What if I just put it back and drive it for another 1500 until the summer ends and then go to the garage? Is that a big risk?

No, the pump only works when sensors in the fuel cap inform the system that a dose is required. The dose goes into the fuel as a one-off shot. The quantity added is constant, so if you fill with fuel too often, the fluid is dosed in quickly and will be exhausted at lower mileage. If you drive without sorting it, you risk the exhaust blocking with soot as the EOLYS fluid is there to assist in regeneration of the filter.
LakiTC   
Tue Aug 13 2019, 01:57pm
Someone said that it won't go over 2000 rpm if it doesn't get sorted. So I guess a way to check whether the pump is working is to open the fuel cap and see if it sprinkles from the pump, right?
rusky   
Tue Aug 13 2019, 03:49pm
Member No: #27768
If it runs out then you'll get a risk of particle filter blocking message, I don't think it goes into limp mode unless the DPF is blocked.

You won't see anything from the filler though as it's injected into the tank.
1 User said Thank You to rusky for this Post :
 BigJohnD (14 Aug 2019 : 04:55)
LakiTC   
Tue Aug 13 2019, 04:44pm
Okay, final question, how do I figure out the type of fluid that should go inside? There is a company JLM that sells refill kits online. Is that what I need?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member