or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

What's everyone up to 2018

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
BigJohnD   
Tue May 01 2018, 04:32am

Member No: #82
Just returned from a booze run to Champagne. 4.8l/100km on the way out (58.8mpg) but only 4.9l/100km (57.6mpg) on the return - fully loaded with almost 250 bottles!

Did the return journey of >500 miles from near Épernay to Chester in one go - if only the UK motorways were as empty as those in France. Must be the tolls.

Diesel in France was only marginally cheaper then here.

Thinking about selling the C4 and getting an estate car - which Citroën don't really make any more since the demise of the C5.
wozza   
Tue May 01 2018, 04:47am

Member No: #2
Curious what's happening with their range at moment. Like they have got rid of various segment cars. With no replacements. Wondering if it's because they are working out cars across the multiple brands and adding Vauxhall / Opel has meant it's a bit more difficult. As they want them all to start production at the same time.

It's one of my rare days off today. So think I'm going to spend it cleaning the front drive up and maybe give the cars a quick wash. Looking a bit manky at the moment not had chance to clean mine in weeks.
FrankBullitt   
Tue May 01 2018, 10:26am

Member No: #19238
BigJohnD wrote ...

Just returned from a booze run to Champagne. 4.8l/100km on the way out (58.8mpg) but only 4.9l/100km (57.6mpg) on the return - fully loaded with almost 250 bottles!

250 - crikey, what are you up to!

I’m afraid I came to the same conclusion on the estate, not helped in my case by being nervous of another 2.0HDi ‘blue’ which is where we ended up with a Passat which I have to say is actually a lovely car whatever people think. I did consider an older 508 2.0HDi (EU5) but Mrs FB wasn’t keen on an older car
riven1962   
Wed May 02 2018, 09:35am
Member No: #18905
Completion of the house was a couple of days ago (30/04/2018), just glad to be rid of the house now. It's just not to worry about now, was costing me lots while no tenants lived in the house. The money was in my account the same day, happy result all round.
FrankBullitt   
Wed May 02 2018, 01:19pm

Member No: #19238
We’re in the process of trying to move house, we have had an asking price offer from a cash buyer and are waiting to get confirmation that the house we are looking to buy is ours
routemaster1   
Mon Aug 12 2019, 08:18am
Member No: #574
routemaster1 wrote ...

Many of you may be able to guess from my forum name that I have an interest in vintage buses. In October last year I saw a notice in a vintage bus, requesting applications to drive it. I thought, why not. So I got in touch and I was invited to go for a couple of lessons, as if you passed your car test early enough you can drive a 30 year old or older vehicle on your car license as long as you do not carry more than 8 passengers. To drive with passengers you have to get a Class D license. So I decided to take the plunge at quite some expense.

So on Monday I went to the tuition company to drive a 2001 10 metre Berghoff coach with a 220 bhp engine and a 6 speed manual gearbox. I must say I found the gearbox a real pig to drive, particularly engaging 2nd.

Anyway, after 3 x 5 hour lessons and the test today, I now have my Class 4 license, so I can now actually drive a Routemaster with 72 people on board. In fact I could drive a new 15 metre double deck coach if necessary (but only if they are not paying and I am not being paid). Just a bit bigger than a C4GP!

The vehicle I am likely to drive is actually 65 years old, just a little older than me. Don't say you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

I finally achieved a very long-term dream. As above I got my license to drive a PCV last year, and volunteered to drive for a museum.For this I needed a CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) which I got last August. After a long drawn-out acceptance process, I finally got accepted after an assessment in a Routemaster. But my real wish was to drive an RT, which was the type of bus I grew up with in London. Last Thursday I got my chance to drive this:

The bus is an AEC RT, built sometime between 1947 and 1954 ( it is not possible to date the bus accurately as the chassis and bodies were swapped as were the fleet numbers) It is a 9.6L diesel fitted with a 4 speed preselector gearbox (a halfway house between manual and automatic), and I did 9 local trips. I was like a dog with 2 tails! On duty again on Thursday, and again in a Routemaster coach on Saturday (weather permitting)
bluehdi   
Mon Aug 12 2019, 12:21pm
Member No: #2617
Absolutely well done for this.

This is also one of my 'to do things' lists, so its fascinating hearing how you've approached it. Did it cost you much?

I fortunately I'm also of a certain age that allows me to drive vehicles that others cannot on my driving licence (being 45+).

I work, but get considerable holidays off. I've thought myself about 'going for it' to learn to drive a double decker, but have always chickened out with the thought of a practical test. Youtube has quite a lot of videos about whats involved with driving buses. The thought of driving a Routemaster for me is most exciting.

Love this instructional video on YouTube:

- Click Here -

routemaster1   
Mon Aug 12 2019, 02:18pm
Member No: #574
bluehdi wrote ...

Absolutely well done for this.

This is also one of my 'to do things' lists, so its fascinating hearing how you've approached it. Did it cost you much?

I fortunately I'm also of a certain age that allows me to drive vehicles that others cannot on my driving licence (being 45+).

I work, but get considerable holidays off. I've thought myself about 'going for it' to learn to drive a double decker, but have always chickened out with the thought of a practical test. Youtube has quite a lot of videos about whats involved with driving buses. The thought of driving a Routemaster for me is most exciting.

- Click Here -

You can drive one of these on a car license, but you are limited to a maximum of 8 passengers. Vehicles have to be, iirc, over 30 years old. As the last Routemaster was built in 1967, they can all be driven. In time I may be able to drive the last one, RML 2760, but it is currently being refurbed.

I took my test back in 2018. I did 3 4 hour sessions and a test on the fourth day. Cost, including the test was £1500, including test fee. Don't tell my wife, she doesn't know and hasn't asked. That allows me to drive any vehicle, single and double deck. I took the test in a manual coach, but if you take it in an automatic, you can get a manual license if you hold a manual PCV. 30 year old manuals are pigs to drive; even with synchro, you still need double declutching.
Note that this doesn't allow me to drive for hire or reward (I can't be paid and the passengers must not pay)

Where I drive requires the CPC (see above). This allows me to drive for hire and reward, so I can drive the tours which give the museum a much needed revenue stream. This took 4 hours, including the test (on a minibus). Cost is ~£300, lasts for 5 years, then has to be renewed with 35 hours of training. (The industry thinks the whole thing is a total waste of time, but was an EU requirement. Brexit won't make it disappear).
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member