or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

Fuel cap help please!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
rjo103   
Sun Jul 28 2019, 06:12pm
Member No: #54274
Hi
I have a 2014 Grand Picasso with a "parallellogram" fuel cap door, rather than the circular one all my searches have brought up. On an (otherwise very successful) European adventure, the metal fascia on the plastic door of the fuel filling flap, flew off at 100mph. On a car train I hasten to add (turns out if you don't lock the doors, the flap isn't even latched).

So I bought a replacement petrol filling door assembly from a scrapyard, complete with the missing metal cover. Looking at it, to replace the complete unit would mean (at least) dismanting the inside of the boot.

However, the metal cover is held to the plastic door only by being slid under four retaining notches, and something to stop it sliding out. If I can work out how to detach the metal cover from the plastic flap assembly, I can restore the good looks of my C4 with no open heart surgery required.

Does anyone have any idea how to detach the metal cover from my "spare" door assembly?
routemaster1   
Wed Aug 07 2019, 02:13am
Member No: #574
rjo103 wrote ...

Hi
I have a 2014 Grand Picasso with a "parallellogram" fuel cap door, rather than the circular one all my searches have brought up. On an (otherwise very successful) European adventure, the metal fascia on the plastic door of the fuel filling flap, flew off at 100mph. On a car train I hasten to add (turns out if you don't lock the doors, the flap isn't even latched).

So I bought a replacement petrol filling door assembly from a scrapyard, complete with the missing metal cover. Looking at it, to replace the complete unit would mean (at least) dismanting the inside of the boot.

However, the metal cover is held to the plastic door only by being slid under four retaining notches, and something to stop it sliding out. If I can work out how to detach the metal cover from the plastic flap assembly, I can restore the good looks of my C4 with no open heart surgery required.

Does anyone have any idea how to detach the metal cover from my "spare" door assembly?

I believe the cap is latched as you have to press the cap to open it. You cannot simply lift it. Maybe it wasn't properly closed. (btw 100mph is still legal on German motorways)
BigJohnD   
Wed Aug 07 2019, 04:59am

Member No: #82
Not sure if this helps, in fact I don't even know if it's correct vehicle. I need the VIN to be certain as the cars are not classified by year &c. - that's marketing.

However, it looks like the door, hinge and fitting plate (Part #2) are a unified part, not designed to the separated.
rjo103   
Fri Aug 09 2019, 01:16pm
Member No: #54274
For anyone who has the same problem in future, it was quite easy once worked it out.

Looking at the side of the flap opposite the hinge, there is a narrow recess around 1cm wide. In here is hidden a latch, whereby the plastic main part of the flap prevents the metal cover from sliding off. You can just see the back of the latch, but it is too small to get a tool in.

However, with a bit of encouragement you can slide a blunt instrument (like handle of a spoon) between the metal cover and plastic flap, from the top. Slide this under the latch to disengage it and the metal cover slides off easy.

Fitting it again is easier, it simpky slides on and the latch engages automatically.

Thanks all!

PS does anyone want a replacement plastic body/hinge/flap without metal cover? ;p

rjo103 wrote ...

Hi

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member