or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 speed control, ABS, ESP, brake faulty

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
alidz   
Sun Jun 02 2019, 07:26pm
Member No: #53846
Hi every one, I have a C4 2008 1.6HDi 9HY engine with 200k km , and 2 months ago, and after being parked for like 10 days, and excatly after releasing the clutch pedal, I got :
"Speed Control System Faulty"
"Brake System Faulty"
"ABS/ ESP System Faulty"
ABS, ESP, Service, Stop, light on the board, and all other numbers on become ---
I turned off and on, all gone, and I got this message each 20-50 minutes, but it gone always after an off-on, sometimes the message come even if not running.

4 days ago, I got this message more often, and like each 5 minute or less, but I can still drive with it with no problems (except I can't see my speed).
Plugged an elm and I got
" P1351 Pre-heating relay circuit : Coherence" (I don't even think it's part of the problem).
" P0500 Vehicle speed signal : Value received incorrect".
"U0121 CAN communication : Absence of communication with the ABS ECU"
"U0122 CAN communication : Absence of communication with the ABS/ ESP ECU"
----------------------------------
Where should I start my investigation? ABS sensor on wheel, plugs on it or ABS? Thank you.
alidz   
Mon Jun 17 2019, 08:22am
i tried on a diagbox , and i got " no connection wih abs , power steering ecu " , this mean to investigate from the fuse box " F7 " the main power of both ecu , i will start
alidz   
Wed Jul 10 2019, 04:37pm
hi
after 1 month ,i still have the problem , i got some wiring diagram , but all ar not the same as mine,
any one has any diagram about abs , esp , thnks
alidz   
Sat Jul 13 2019, 05:15pm
some times it work , and some times it didnt , ( i got for few minutes the speed , and also i can get the message if i start with the handbrake up )
, i cleanned all plugs , in abs ,bsi , and engine ecu , also the ground .
and no thing changed ,
rusky   
Sun Jul 14 2019, 04:45am
Member No: #27768
Check the wiring behind the battery
1 User said Thank You to rusky for this Post :
 alidz (31 Jul 2019 : 11:42)
alidz   
Wed Jul 31 2019, 11:43am
thx u , i will check this again , there is only ground wire that came from the batterie to the engine

Doo   
Tue Aug 27 2019, 07:53am
Member No: #53751
Evenin all... I had this EXACT problem too after parking up for 2wks. I initially thought I had fixed it and posted on here. The fusebox/control unit under the bonnet had been compromised and bits of tree & plant life had invaded.

The fuses were all furry and a bit tinged with corrosion so I took all fuses out & cleaned them. Car was fine until the next time it was parked up (2 wks 4 days this time) and although it started fine, the ABS, CC, gearbox, blah blah blah faults came on. It wont change automatically and when you go manual, it gets to 3rd gear and that's all.

I was told by the Citroen dealer that this is common and you need to replace the whole fuse box/controller!!! Seems a bit drastic and I'm not 100% convinced it will fix it

I used my Dremel to open up the sealed unit and could find no trace of damp so it couldn't be that. There is a slight ozone smell, but nothing burned.

I've checked all wires, nothing chafed or cut. There are no signs of corrosion in ANY of the components, plugs or sockets! I have toyed with the idea the battery is genuine so "may" need replaced, but I can leave the car unused for a month and the engine (1.6hdi SX) will fire up with no issues.

There is one slight fly in the ointment and I wonder if it is vaguely possible that the fact that one or more of the glow plugs are dead and this may have caused either a dead short, a surge or a simple dead fuse somewhere in the system (not in the under-bonnet box, all checked and working).

We plugged in a decent data code reader and it came up with ABS module lost communication which suggests an open circuit, but where to start

Like I said, it lost comms originally back in May and the dirty fuses was the cause. It ran perfectly until wife went to Europe in July for 18 days and I figured it was the same thing (well it was same symptoms).

It rained a bit, but nothing significant. There was no tree stuff this time so at a loss.

Has anyone else had this issue and fixed it by replacing the fuse box/controller unit or was it an earth (that's what I am leaning towards...) or a dodgy battery?

Our battery is original so I would normally suspect it, but it checks out

It was suggested the brake switch may be faulty, but surely that wouldn't prevent comms to the ABS control unit would it? I would have imagined the data code reader would show the switch was faulty?

I am aware some models have double switches (brake and clutch) but ours is an auto clutch so would it still have two? The engine wont start until the brake pedal is pressed and the brake lights work fine so I imagine (although stand to be corrected) the switch to be working fine).

Any other idea's before I expire from torn hair and thrown tools

Thanks all...
Doo   
Wed Aug 28 2019, 06:05am
Fitted a new battery, no difference. checked earths, no difference.

I am assuming no one here knows or can't be arsed

I'll reply soon as I find the cause...
alidz   
Thu Aug 29 2019, 05:03pm
Doo wrote ...

first thanks for the time u take to answer and share your experience with us .
i also changed 3 battery ( used a freinds battery for more then 10 days ) and always same problem ; tried a new pedal switch and didnt change any thing
but
i was this last month in holiday , in a hot area . before ,the car shows the errors after only 1-2 minutes , but this last month it become to increase , and i had like 20-30 minute without any issus , and the problem always came with the check engine , and anti pollution faulty ( didnt know if its the abs with the speed that command the egr , and for that i have both same time or a related plug ),
and in the last of the holiday , i washed my car , and the problem reappers again at 1-2 minutes after i crank the engine .

rusky   
Fri Aug 30 2019, 07:44am
Doo wrote ...

Fitted a new battery, no difference. checked earths, no difference.

I am assuming no one here knows or can't be arsed

Well a faulty engine bay fuse box is a well known issue so the dealer may be right.

Have you checked the wiring behind the battery?
Doo   
Fri Aug 30 2019, 05:59pm
I have, to the best of my knowledge, checked the wiring behind and around the battery!

I finally persuaded my wife to try (buy) a used component with matching numbers. It has been ordered at a cost of £55 so I hope this will work.

If it does, this car will be started and used every day, even when we're on holiday, I have a friend who would take great delight in starting the engine and running the car around just to prevent any issues.

Stupid design, make it completely waterproof, only for water to find a way into the interface .....
rusky   
Sat Aug 31 2019, 03:28am
You don't need to get someone to start & drive it daily! Mine was left for several weeks at a time when we both had company cars. It never had an issue.
Doo   
Mon Sep 02 2019, 08:22am
rusky wrote ...

You don't need to get someone to start & drive it daily! Mine was left for several weeks at a time when we both had company cars. It never had an issue.

As was this one until May this year. I fixed it and it ran beautifully until she went away for 2.4wks in July and the exact same issue occurred once more. It seems a strange coincidence that it only happened after being unused for more than a couple of days...

It'll be getting replaced in the near future, but with another Citroen as we both love the "different" designs (compared to their half brother Peugeot) and I drive a Range Rover so I like my comfort. But the Citroen is just nippy, quirky and neat looking, even after 12 years, it "still" looks fresh and modern.

She wants a C3, but I'm not interested (and since I'll be paying and using it now and then...) as I think a C5 would be a more viable option for our requirements.

I want an estate as the RR is an estate and holds all my equipment with ease.

Any downsides to the latest model C5?
gittos   
Mon Sep 02 2019, 10:54am
Member No: #30055
Any downsides to the latest model C5?
[/quote1567439395]

I have read that rear head room can be be an issue with taller people having their head rubbing above the rear doors...seen something on yuotube I think
Doo   
Thu Sep 05 2019, 05:03pm
Installed another fusebox/ECU and ......

Nothing!

Same problems, same symptoms.

So I ripped the car apart (well, under the bonnet anyway, including removing the front bumper) and while all the wiring seems intact, I did find a small issue.

Having unwrapped the stock cloth tape at the end of each plastic wire cover I discovered it was all damp. Not only that, the wiring to the ABS module was coated in mud or some such...

So if the wiring is damp, is it possible it got into the ABS module?

I'm not convinced because after removing the plug, I find it is covered in grease which is water proof

I decided to test the earths and find they seemed to be continuous.

Then I tested the + and found what seemed to be a dead short!

Now I am happy to be proved wrong, but either there is a problem where the + has dead shorted to the - or the ABS relays switch to short circuit after ign off to prevent issues....

Either way, when testing the signal from the fuse box + feed to the ABS module, I discovered the - (earth pins) also returned a signal from my digital tester.

So, is it the case that the ABS relays short out when the ignition is off & the battery disconnected or is it a distinct possibility that the loom is rubbing on the body somewhere (not a peep under the bonnet, all clean and free)?

And I found this little delight. 3 relays and 4 fuses. Thing is, the 3 40amp fuses aren't even connected to anything whereas the 80amp fuse is.

This box takes a heavy duty feed directly from the battery via the feed to the row of fuses below the fusebox/ECU.

I can't seem to find anything directly linked to the issues I'm having, but the blue wire from the row of fuses under the fusebox/ECU seems to feed the ABS module AND it appears to be short circuiting to the earths I pointed out earlier...

Curious
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member