or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Technical Questions

Whistling / Squealing Noise With Engine Speed

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
bigshorty   
Thu May 16 2019, 03:10am
Member No: #53734
Hi All

Newbie Citroen owner in need of some advice / comments that have regarding an issue that has occurred on my 2005 C4 1.6 SX Automatic hatchback, hoping some of you can help!

I know noises are hard to describe on forums such as these, but I'm hoping if I explain it well enough some of you might have some ideas you can throw at me so I start looking in the right direction. Lately I have been noticing a whistling / squealing noise coming from the engine bay, which increases in pitch as the car revs increase, when it changes gear the pitch of the whistling / squealing lowers and starts to increase again the higher the engine revs go. It's definitely not linked to road speed and when listening under the bonnet, it sounds like the noise is coming from the timing belt / alternator side of the engine. I thought it might have been the alternator belt, so I gave it a quick spray with WD40 but this made no difference. I now suspect it could be one of the pulleys and/or bearings linked to the alternator belt, but not sure which one would be linked to engine rev speed. Also, the change from first gear to 2nd can clunk and jolt the car quite abruptly, but only if I'm feathering the throttle, if my foot is depressing the throttle more, the clunk / jolt does not happen and that particular gear change is smooth, didn't know if this could be related to the whining / squealing noise. Other than that the car drives absolutely fine, no fault codes, no overheating, engine fires fine and it has had a recent service as well.

Any ideas, thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated, and happy to provide further info if needed. Many thanks in advance.
Jimux   
Thu May 16 2019, 06:31am

Member No: #8137
Wd40 on a belt is not a good idea. Classic fan belt noise is always worse when accelerating, and usually stops when you lift your foot off. Look for scorched/polished areas on the side of the belt and a burnt rubber smell. Noise could come from the belt tensioner and a batch were recalled, but that was a much later year.
1 User said Thank You to Jimux for this Post :
 bigshorty (5 Days ago)
bigshorty   
Thu May 16 2019, 10:17am
Member No: #53734
Jimux wrote ...

Wd40 on a belt is not a good idea. Classic fan belt noise is always worse when accelerating, and usually stops when you lift your foot off. Look for scorched/polished areas on the side of the belt and a burnt rubber smell. Noise could come from the belt tensioner and a batch were recalled, but that was a much later year.

Many thanks for the info.
Agreed WD40 on a belt is not a good idea, I only tried it as a matter of trying to isolate the issue. I did however give the alternator pulley bearing a good dose of WD40 and the noise has almost disappeared. I believe the belt is too tight, IIRC the belt should be able to be turned 90 degrees at it's longest length between pulleys, I can't even turn my alternator belt 45 degrees! The alternator seems fine though, pulling 14V when engine running, perhaps the issue is a dodgy bearing.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member