or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

Possible gearbox fault

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Benoit85   
Tue May 14 2019, 12:12pm
Member No: #52591
Hi all, 07 plate 90,000 miles 2.0hdi egs gearbox

So driving home today, always have the car in auto, was in slow moving traffic and noticed the gearbox had gone into manual, tried selectinf neutral whilst stopped and then back to auto but it just showed 1 on the dash. Started driving again using the paddles without and issue until the traffic cleared and realised the car wouldn't go past 3rd. I pulled over and switched off and left it 5 mins, once started up again i selected auto and everything was back to normal and i made it the last 10 miles or so home.
I had no faults or errors on screen during this time so no idea what happened

Any thoughts?

Thanks
rusky   
Tue May 14 2019, 02:54pm
Member No: #27768
There should be fault codes stored.
Benoit85   
Wed May 15 2019, 01:10am
There is nothing in the fault log on the on board computer. I've done my 20 mile journey to work this morning and everyhing was normal though, not sure if it was just a one off, worried about it happening again though and a possible huge bill to fix
Jimux   
Wed May 15 2019, 07:37am

Member No: #8137
The description you give, with the gears restricted, is limp mode, and can occur after numerous individual faults. You've got one of the earliest of the C4Ps, and we've had numerous reports of odd faults when the battery is getting old. Any idea how old your battery is? If you've got a charger then it might be worth giving it a boost and seeing if that has any effect.
Benoit85   
Wed May 15 2019, 07:42am
I don't know actually, I've only owned the car for the past 6 months. Funnily enough though last month the car refused to start, RAC man came out and he did all his checks we found the starter motor fuse had blown, replaced this and it's been fine since. He did say he was happy with the battery though after he'd done his checks on it
Benoit85   
Wed May 15 2019, 01:07pm
Another update, had the same problem again on my way home from work. Pulled over, switched off and was fine again after switching back on.
Once again no error codes or anything, i really dont know how but could the hot weather be causing a problem somehow?
rusky   
Wed May 15 2019, 02:56pm
what are you using to read the fault codes?
Benoit85   
Wed May 15 2019, 03:04pm
I haven't had any read yet, i was just refering to error messages showing on the dash, sorry for the confusion
I guess my next step is to take it somewhere for diagnostic and see what codes it's throwing yp
Jimux   
Thu May 16 2019, 06:43am

Member No: #8137
I'm not sure the usual voltage drop test under load is sufficient to test the battery in modern cars. You need to test the static voltage when the battery has not been under load for an hour, and that means disconnected in the case of the C4 with so many features active when the car is switched off. A rule of thumb would be how long the radio stays on if the engine is not running. 20 minutes would be a fair time, and anything less than 5 min would be suspect.
Also modern batteries tend to start dropping plate paste flakes when they are on the way out, causing transient rapid voltage changes. This is more likely to happen when the car is moving than when stationery, and is too short to easily spot with a multimeter.
Benoit85   
Thu May 23 2019, 09:03am
Same fault has occured a couple of times again, when the weather was cooler i had no issues it really does seem to only happen when it's warm out.
Read a lot on here and the brake sensor switch? Seems to cause various issues, is it worth replacing this before forking out for a new battery or any other work?
rusky   
Thu May 23 2019, 04:17pm
Get the battery checked by halfords or a decent motor factors for free!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member