or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Technical Questions

ECU

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Jim117   
Sun May 12 2019, 02:49pm
Member No: #53699
I have a 58 plate C4 VTR+ 1.6 petrol and I was wondering if anyone had heard of the ECU shutting down after a code has been cleared 50 times.
Doo   
Tue May 21 2019, 03:08pm
Member No: #53751
Jim117 wrote ...

I have a 58 plate C4 VTR+ 1.6 petrol and I was wondering if anyone had heard of the ECU shutting down after a code has been cleared 50 times.

If someone at a garage told you this then they need a few lessons on computing.

An ECU is basically a computer which gets messages from sensors and acts upon them using pre programmed input.

If the same fault code has occurred 50 times, then there could be many causes from poor connection (corrosion) or wires chafed causing a short & so on, to a faulty sensor, earth fault or even just a bad cell in a battery!

If the ECU has in fact shut down, it would be as a self preservation action, but I certainly haven't heard of the 50 times reason.

Normally if an ECU has shut down then it has got wet, over voltage or someone has killed it through stupidity.

Would like to know the reason for your question though.
1 User said Thank You to Doo for this Post :
 Jim117 (22 May 2019 : 07:49)
Jim117   
Wed May 22 2019, 07:52am
Member No: #53699
Thanks for the reply. This confirms what friends were telling me. To answer your query, I gave car to "mechanic" to fix recurring EML throwing up P0343 which ended up with non starting car and dead ECU diagnosis due to too many code clearance . ECU now test and is fine.
Doo   
Wed May 22 2019, 04:23pm
Member No: #53751
Jim117 wrote ...

Thanks for the reply. This confirms what friends were telling me. To answer your query, I gave car to "mechanic" to fix recurring EML throwing up P0343 which ended up with non starting car and dead ECU diagnosis due to too many code clearance . ECU now test and is fine.

That code pertains to camshaft position sensor fault. Quite common on the likes of BMW. So the sensor should have been checked and if needs be, replaced.

However, as I previously suggested, it isn't "always" a sensor problem, it could be dirty connection, wiring, plug/socket fault or even a part of the camshaft is broken/cracked/missing.

As you say the ECU has been tested and ruled out of the equation (it bugs me that clowns automatically point the finger at the ECU when all it is doing is reading the messages sent to it and acting upon them) when they should be looking into why the same message keeps repeating...

If I were you, I'd be looking for someone with a bit of wit about them who can think outside of the box and test the sensors, wiring and fittings.

My wife's car flagged up all manner of crazy [%*^#@!] a few days ago from gearbox, anti skid, speed control and ABS. The real cause was actually dirty fuse connections!!!

Took me an hour to fix it

There is always an easy fix, you just have to find someone with a bit of common sense to go about looking.

I wish you the best of luck

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member