or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

2.0 HDI CGP 2014 overheating - SOLVED - COOLANT CAP!!!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Dannyboyski   
Wed Apr 24 2019, 06:49am
Member No: #53584
Our 2.0 hdi has recently started overheating. It overheats within a very short driving distance. 5-10 miles.

I don't have any bubbles in the coolant reservoir, but when i go for a drive the coolant in the reservoir is getting hot and becoming pressurised and appears to leak out of the coolant cap when driven. (but not when left idling on the driveway)

I have already changed the thermostat (£300 only available from citroen) because i went to inspect it and the design is so poor that it dissintegrated upon removal. A new thermostat has not helped sadly.

It was only after replacing the thermostat that I also noticed, no interior heat from the HVAC fan and the radiator fan not kicking in even when overheating..... (its the wife's car, i only drive it when there's a problem!)

I'm hoping this is a simple coolant temp sensor or fan speed control problem rather than leaking head gasket gases pressurising the system.

Any hep greatly appreciated.

Dan
FrankBullitt   
Wed Apr 24 2019, 06:59am

Member No: #19238
Sit down with a stiff drink and start reading from the 15th November 2017 post...

- Click Here -

...and then this too;

- Click Here -
1 User said Thank You to FrankBullitt for this Post :
 Dannyboyski (24 Apr 2019 : 11:48)
jsg1163   
Wed Apr 24 2019, 09:39am
Member No: #50650
Try to change the cap of the coolant container as explained in - Click Here -
1 User said Thank You to jsg1163 for this Post :
 Dannyboyski (24 Apr 2019 : 11:42)
Dannyboyski   
Wed Apr 24 2019, 11:43am
jsg1163 wrote ...

I did see your thread and thought the symptoms sounded similar. A new coolant cap solved your woes?

Cheers

Dan
routemaster1   
Wed Apr 24 2019, 02:15pm
Member No: #574
If anyone else has this issue, the cap is a simple cheap fix. However, there is a software update for the 2.0HDi cooling parameters. As I believe there is a recall for this, it may well be free.
jsg1163   
Thu Apr 25 2019, 04:14am
Dannyboyski wrote ...

jsg1163 wrote ...

I did see your thread and thought the symptoms sounded similar. A new coolant cap solved your woes?

Cheers

Dan

Yes it did indeed!!!
Dannyboyski   
Thu Apr 25 2019, 04:01pm
Hopefully Solved! Just went for a quick test drive armed with my new coolant cap, car didn't overheat on the same route it overheated on recently. And when I checked the coolant reservoir it had normal looking levels! previously when the overheating warning came on my coolant reservoir was full and angry looking!

My interior heat hasn't come back, but having spoken to Citroen there are no less than 3 recalls outstanding; urea cap, engine cooling parameters software update as mentioned above, and something to do with the interior cabin heat. so hopefully the lack of interior heat relates to this recall. All booked in to be completed next week.

I will leave my scan gauge obd2 cable plugged in for now and monitor the temps on a good motorway thrash before I hand the car back to my wife.

I have to say the lack of a coolant low sensor on this car is a serious design flaw. Shame on you Citroen.....

If anyone reading this suffers coolant related symptoms, go buy a coolant cap before contemplating going after the thermostat, (which is electronically controlled with an actuator anyway btw) foolishly i didn't have much time to research our issue before jumping in and attempting to stick the thermostat in some boiling water to test it. Such is the pants design I would challenge anyone to get the thermostat housing off without breaking it!

Many thanks to all that helped me from getting my pants pulled down and the local dealers. (for now at least!)

Db

1 User said Thank You to Dannyboyski for this Post :
 jsg1163 (21 May 2019 : 09:00)
FrankBullitt   
Fri Apr 26 2019, 01:27am

Member No: #19238
Excellent news, they tried a new cap and bottle on mine but sadly it didn’t help - hopefully it is this simple.

Agree on the coolant level warning, my 15 year old Audi (itself a 20 year old design) has one!
routemaster1   
Fri Apr 26 2019, 02:43am
Member No: #574
Dannyboyski wrote ...

There are no less than 3 recalls outstanding; urea cap, engine cooling parameters software update as mentioned above, and something to do with the interior cabin heat.

I have had the first two done, but not heard of the third. Mine is due for service and MOT in two or three weeks. Hopefully it will be done then if it is necessary.
jsg1163   
Tue May 21 2019, 09:01am
I am glad it's sorted for you. I can understand the pain you went through... haha

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member