or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

2009 C4GP total loss of power, no symptoms

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
oliverkj   
Thu Apr 11 2019, 06:25am
Member No: #52787
Hi! I bought a 2009 C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi about 8 months ago, and it has been great - apart from several total losses of power at random points! I have been searching the forums for a while, but nothing quite the same has appeared.

First time was on the motorway, cruise control on at about 68 mph - engine seemed to splutter a tiny bit, then everything turned off and would not restart, so I had to coast to the hard shoulder. The 'anti-pollution system faulty' message appeared when it was was unsuccessfully trying to restart. After about 5 minutes though, engine restarted and was fine for the rest of the long motorway journey (I was giving it good revs to try and clear anything out). I scanned it and believe that I had the P0401 code, so assumed it was something to do with the EGR valve, which I then removed and gave a good clean (though it wasn't actually in too bad a state). The car would then start for a couple of months with no problem (initially I had the still had the anti-pollution message, but this disappeared after a couple of weeks).
Similar situation a couple of months later, driving approx 40 mph (after a short section on motorway), total loss of power again, coasted to a stop, wouldn't restart for a couple of minutes, no pollution message this time, restarted and seemed fine.
Wife had it conk out on the motorway yesterday, again with no error messages. She called the AA this time and it started fine by the time they arrived - the guy had a look at it and couldn't see anything, test drove it and seemed fine, no error codes logged.

I'm pretty stuck where to go from here - I've had it in to the local garage for a week, who couldn't find anything after test driving and leaving it idling for a while.

My thoughts are:
- If it's a faulty EGR valve, wouldn't I be getting some sort of message/ fault code to tell me so?
- Just had a MOT and full service with a fuel filter change last week, so surely can't be dodgy fuel
- The only other sympton I have is a slight raspy/squeak between low gear changes, i.e. going from first to second, clutch goes in and as the revs drop below 1000 before the clutch comes back out to engage second gear, the engine sounds a bit raspy. Solved/masked by keeping the revs higher between low gear changes. Maybe I'm just imagining it/being over-sensitive, but my previous xsara picassos 1.6 HDi didnt sound like it.

Any help would be great - because the fault is seeminginly impossible to replicate, and is not logging any error codes, taking it to the garage has so far proven fruitless. Now it's happened with the wife driving, it has taken on more of a priority!!

Cheers,

Oli
moleman   
Thu Apr 11 2019, 02:20pm
Member No: #16299
May not help but when i had something similar, it was a faulty speed sensor.
1 User said Thank You to moleman for this Post :
 oliverkj (12 Apr 2019 : 13:54)
Ashwinher   
Thu Apr 11 2019, 03:33pm
Member No: #52640
Check the level of DPF fluid
1 User said Thank You to Ashwinher for this Post :
 oliverkj (12 Apr 2019 : 13:54)
oliverkj   
Fri Apr 12 2019, 01:53pm
Member No: #52787
Thanks for the help! I think I did spot an error code a few months ago that mentioned something like a speed sensor, but I don't think I thought anything of it at the time. Do you mean something like this:

- Click Here -

I'll check the DPF level as well - I'm deployed out of the country at the moment, but it's good to have a couple of ideas to go back with!
moleman   
Sun Apr 14 2019, 02:52pm
Member No: #16299
It is worth checking a cheap solution.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member