or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Ice and Satnav questions

Ordnance Survey grid references

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
dmpzsn   
Sun Mar 03 2019, 12:42pm
Member No: #25128
Hi all, as per title, is there any way to input OS grid ref numbers on a 2018 C4 Spacetourer satnav.

I go to locations on Exmoor with no place names and not the best at map reading so need all the help I can get.

Thanks for any help.
matjam   
Sun Mar 03 2019, 02:43pm
Member No: #47314
Hi,
I don't think you can enter OS Grid Refs, but you can enter Lat/Long coordinates.
If you get the area up on Google Maps, and then right-click on the exact area you want to go to, select 'What's here', Google will display the Lat/Long coordinates for you.
I'm not sure if you can enter those as they are exactly (in metric/decimal format) or if you need to convert them to degrees/minutes/seconds. If the latter you'll need another site to convert between the two formats.
Long winded but possible.
Richard_C   
Mon Mar 04 2019, 04:08am
Member No: #46470
Not sure, but if you follow the matjam method or similar this site is useful:

- Click Here -

Scroll down and click on the union jack, lots of UK specific tools including converting grid ref to postcode. On some satnavs you can find a destination by looking at the map (scrolling and zooming until you get what you want) in the peace and quiet of your own driveway, save it as custom destination.
trev h   
Mon Mar 04 2019, 04:30am
Member No: #10864
As the earlier citroen sat navs only accepted 4 digit post codes i used to use a system called iTouchmap.com but unfortunately this site closed down but i have recently found that it's started up again as - Click Here - you can put an address in & it will give the Geo co ordinates, it will also convert them to different formats, you can enter a postcode & it will give you co ordinates or you can click on locations on the map to get Lat/Long, very handy system.
2 User said Thank You to trev h for this Post :
 BigJohnD (04 Mar 2019 : 04:35) , dmpzsn (04 Mar 2019 : 12:16)
BigJohnD   
Mon Mar 04 2019, 04:37am

Member No: #82
An alternative is Google Earth. That gives Lat and Long too.
dmpzsn   
Mon Mar 04 2019, 12:15pm
Thanks all for your replies, the only trouble is that using a post code won't work as the places I go to are in the middle of nowhere, normally checkpoints for walking, cycling and running events. Saturdays was an entrance to a field on top of a hill so hard to find even in google earth.

I've had a look around on the internet and there isn't even a stand alone satnav that will do this.

After posting my thread I looked at the os website and think I'm going to have to print large scale A4 maps with the point in the middle.

I will have a look at some of the other suggestions given here, but luckily it only happens about 4/5 times a year.

Cheers all, Dave
BigJohnD   
Mon Mar 04 2019, 04:37pm

Member No: #82
I'm confused. If you're going to off-road places, postcodes are next to useless. You need a hand held, as used by cyclists and walkers. Many of them will accept detailed routes, which can pre-plotted on Google Earth or the GPS/Satnav's proprietary app/software and then transferred in one go.
trev h   
Tue Mar 05 2019, 03:12am
Member No: #10864
BigJohnD like you i'm confused as well, the mapping system i highlighted will take you anywhere just place the red pointer over the place you want to go & it will give you the coordinates to within a couple of feet which is basically no different to entering OS grid references, this will get you to any place that you can drive to in a car, when you get to your destination a spacetourer satnav isn't going to be any good if you then go off walking or cycling as you say you need a hand held device for that.
1 User said Thank You to trev h for this Post :
 BigJohnD (05 Mar 2019 : 11:33)
iscom   
Tue Mar 05 2019, 04:34am
Member No: #20936
Have you tried "What Three Words" app also on PCs website this is a system use by a lot of organisations incl The UN, Mercedes, Ford, LandRover Jaguar and delivery companies
If I am in the kitchen it give me my three words and if I was to move to the sitting room it would give me a different three words its very accurate it save having to put grid coordinates. its a its ideal for use in out of the way places Maybe with looking at their website
what3words.com
1 User said Thank You to iscom for this Post :
 BigJohnD (05 Mar 2019 : 11:33)
dmpzsn   
Tue Mar 05 2019, 01:41pm
BigJohn, I won't be using postcodes and never said I would be which is why I need os input, most of the locations are within reach of the road and as I need to take my radios which are wired to the car walking isn't an option. Plus I'm disabled so don't walk very well.

Trev h, I've looked at that website and I'm afraid I can't make head nor tail of it. Needs to be a lot easier for me I'm afraid.

iscom, just looked at your suggestion, will have a play and see if I can get it on android.

The reason I want to use os is because we are given the location of the checkpoints with directions tied to os grid points.

Thanks anyway for the ideas.
Richard_C   
Tue Mar 05 2019, 06:25pm
So you know the grid refs.

If you go here:

- Click Here -

you can convert the grid ref to lat and long, which you can enter in a satnav. It converts to both the decimal and the degrees /minutes/seconds format. I think the citroen satnavs use the latter but the site gives you both.

If you go east of the meridian remember to enter longitude as a negative number.

"We are given ....", have you tried asking the giver of that which is given for the location in Lat and Long formats as well?

2 User said Thank You to Richard_C for this Post :
 BigJohnD (06 Mar 2019 : 04:25) , dmpzsn (06 Mar 2019 : 12:39)
dmpzsn   
Wed Mar 06 2019, 12:30pm
Hi Richard, no I haven't requested any other information as this only came to a head last Saturday when I went round in circles on a filthy evening trying to read a small map in the dusk. I did find my location in the end thanks to my control who tried to guide me to the location. Unfortunately most of our events are organised by different groups but I will look into your idea, next question though where do you input the lat and long?

I certainly won't be going anywhere out of our area, Somerset and Devon.
dmpzsn   
Wed Mar 06 2019, 12:41pm
Your suggestion certainly looks promising, I'm out this weekend at Beer so can give it a try then even though I know where I'm going.

I'd be grateful if you could let me know how to input the measurements as I didn't see any thing like that option when I was looking for os input.
Richard_C   
Wed Mar 06 2019, 05:52pm
Mine is an older model but you just enter it on the normal address input page. 2 boxes on the input screen, all other fields left blank, you might need to clear them if the last input has been saved.

Try reading your handbook.
dmpzsn   
Thu Mar 07 2019, 12:41pm
Had a play this morning and no boxes on the address bar, I did manage to get to the setting somehow, not sure how and tried inputting the settings for the address I was going to, not brilliant and certainly not user friendly. Will keep trying, even youtube don't have anything on it only the older model.
Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member