or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

EOLYS 176 & DPF have me a bit confused

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
lghw   
Sun Feb 24 2019, 06:39pm
Member No: #53136
Hi. I've not had a car with EOLYS/DPF before. I've seen the relevant FAQ item and have verified from the VIN that my car does have a DPF (1.6 HDi with DPF).

The FAQ still leaves me with some unanswered questions...

The first is that the service manual says the EOLYS fluid should be replaced at 75,000. The service before I bought it was at 71,500. I can't seen any evidence from historical receipts that this has ever been replaced, but I don't actually know either way.

If the EOLYS runs out, how do I know about it? Is there an error on the dash? Is there a way of checking how full it is and/or when it is likely to next need servicing? Is there any point in just doing it anyway, or should I leave it and see? Presumably not doing this on time shortens the life of the DPF?

Similarly, I can see that the DPF is due for replacement at a very specific 112,500 miles. What sort of problems would I face if I didn't replace the DPF? Just a potential DPF failure at an awkward time, or further damage caused elsewhere? Are there any signs that the DPF is on its way out and needs replacement imminently? Has anyone got any stories around having risked delaying DPF replacement?

Thanks!
routemaster1   
Mon Feb 25 2019, 02:32am
Member No: #574
EOLYS isn't replaced on a planned basis. It's just how long they reckon it will last. I'm not sure whether there is a warning if it is low. Usage will depend on how often you fill your fuel tank as the fluid is injected based on sensors in the fuel cap. If you run until the fuel is low and then fill up you will maximise the life. Our C3 has now done 110,000 miles and shows no sign of needing a top-up and no sign of requiring a filter change.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 lghw (25 Feb 2019 : 05:39)
rusky   
Mon Feb 25 2019, 02:55am
Member No: #27768
I I believe you get an "additive low" message if the car thinks it's running out but as RM1 says, it's calculated based on the amount of times the filler cap is opened, not measured which is why people who only full up with £20 a time run out sooner.

If it runs out, eventually you'll get "risk of particle filter blocking".
1 User said Thank You to rusky for this Post :
BigJohnD   
Mon Feb 25 2019, 04:51am

Member No: #82
My initial fill Eolys was still good at 100,000 miles. Wait til the warnings appear.
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
Jimux   
Mon Feb 25 2019, 04:55am

Member No: #8137
There were two types of ELOYS container, a floppy or a rigid bag. It is situated above a rear wheel, and you can see if the fluid is low from underneath. Occasionally the floppy bag ruptured and my local garage replaced one for me at 30K miles, so you could well have more fluid than you expect.
1 User said Thank You to Jimux for this Post :
lghw   
Mon Feb 25 2019, 05:40am
Member No: #53136
Thanks all! Glad to know I don't need to worry about it until the car tells me. Wasn't looking forward to spending £250 immediately after getting it. Luckily, my journeys are all VERY long and I have lots of familiar petrol station options, so optimal filling and DPF operation should be possible from now on, at least.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member