or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

Smoke and exhaust noise. What's going on?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
AlexP   
Sun Feb 24 2019, 08:29am
Member No: #53197
Hi all, wonder if anyone can help. I have a c4 1.6 HDI

Its been very Smokey on start up, it's white smoke and also the engine has been juddering. I have replaced all the seals on the fuel injectors and this has helped with the judder a lot. It's still very Smokey though. Also now noticed a strange noise coming from the exhaust which sounds almost like rushing air, it's not high pitched or a rumble. Never noticed it before and wondering if it could be related. Any ideas?
routemaster1   
Sun Feb 24 2019, 09:21am
Member No: #574
What colour is the smoke. White would indicate unburnt fuel, bluish could be oil, black is most likely over-fuelling. However, the black smoke should be prevented by the exhaust filter, if you have one.
AlexP   
Sun Feb 24 2019, 10:42am
routemaster1 wrote ...

What colour is the smoke. White would indicate unburnt fuel, bluish could be oil, black is most likely over-fuelling. However, the black smoke should be prevented by the exhaust filter, if you have one.

It's white smoke. Wondering if my next action should be changing the injectors.
gazax   
Sun Feb 24 2019, 11:47am
Member No: #50107
Have an engine flush and replace the oil and filter. If you had faulty seals, fuel may have got into the oil & contaminated it.
Also consider having an engine carbon cleaned, it works wonders
1 User said Thank You to gazax for this Post :
 AlexP (25 Feb 2019 : 08:07)
AlexP   
Mon Feb 25 2019, 08:08am
Thank you. I haven't long changed the oil and filter so it didn't occur to me to do it again already but I will definately try this and add some engine flush.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member