or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Travelling to Europe post no deal Brexit

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
routemaster1   
Tue Feb 12 2019, 10:13am
Member No: #574
Looks like travel to the continent may potentially be an issue if there is a no-deal Brexit. It appears that we may need to obtain an International Driving Permit to drive. The issue is that there are 3 different types. These are:

International driving permit 1968: Valid for most, but not all European countries.

International driving permit 1947: Valid for Cyprus, Iceland, Malta and Spain.

International driving permit 1968: Possibly only required in Liechtenstein.(Don't know why as Liechtenstein is, to all intents and purposes, considered almost part of Switzerland.)

The issues seem to be that, for instance, you will need both a 1949 and a 1968 version if you wish to drive through France to Spain. It appears that the 1968 version does not supersede the 1949 version and that doesn't supersede the 1926 version.

Let's hope that whatever happens, we don't have to deal with this. In a worst case of needing two permits it is only £11 and the cost of two photos per person, but it is a pain having to go to the post office to get them!
Ashwinher   
Tue Feb 12 2019, 10:42am
Member No: #52640
Good information. I also heard you need a separate insurance to drive to Europe. For us in Ireland we need a green pass to drive in North Ireland and insurance companies might provide it
FrankBullitt   
Tue Feb 12 2019, 11:00am

Member No: #19238
I doubt there will be a need for separate insurance although insurers will need to be checked with but we will need green cards again when travelling abroad. I’m expecting to get an IDP for my summer trip to France.

There are also technical things such as the EU flag with a GB in the middle on the plates no longer being recognised (potentially) and so on.

For anyone planning to be abroad on the 29th March or travel within the 2-3 weeks afterwards I’d be preparing by practicing some self-calming techniques but whatever ‘it’ turns into, once we know what is required this will simply need to be done.

Being honest, my booked travel plans to Europe for my fortnight in the sun is the very least of my concerns (probably helped as I’m doing a western crossing rather than Dover). There are much greater impacts that are keeping me awake around the B-word!
iscom   
Tue Feb 12 2019, 11:04am
Member No: #20936
The last time I applied for a International Driving Licence (Two Years Ago) it took about 6 weeks or more, so Better apply now before the big rush
routemaster1   
Tue Feb 12 2019, 12:19pm
iscom wrote ...

The last time I applied for a International Driving Licence (Two Years Ago) it took about 6 weeks or more, so Better apply now before the big rush

You have to be careful with the language. It is not a license, it is a permit, and it is an adjunct to the national license. In the UK you just have to take your license and a suitable photo to the post office and it is made up on the spot.

Those in Ireland will not have to worry about the rest of Europe, and I think I read that there is some special arrangement between the British and Irish government that may make IDPs unnecessary.

I don't know what may happen for Europeans driving here. I read somewhere that you cannot get an IDP in Germany; if so they could be snookered if we require one!
iscom   
Tue Feb 12 2019, 12:39pm
There is always one:)
FrankBullitt   
Tue Feb 12 2019, 02:38pm

Member No: #19238
iscom wrote ...

There is always one:)

In what way?
iscom   
Tue Feb 12 2019, 03:01pm
Licence and Permit
routemaster1   
Tue Feb 12 2019, 04:07pm
iscom wrote ...

Licence and Permit

I'm sorry if you think I am nitpicking, but some people think that the permit is a license. I have seen some of the police programmes where foreign drivers have been stopped and they have told the police that they have an international driving license, which the police have informed them that it isn't. As I have said, the permit is an adjunct to the license, and effectively extends the license to allow driving in other countries.
BigJohnD   
Wed Feb 13 2019, 09:51am

Member No: #82
I'm off to Amsterdam a week after Brexit day, but flying, not driving. I've spoken with the travel agent, who seems to think Visas at a nominal charge (e.g. €10) will be required a some point, but it's so chaotic at the moment, that nothing's been decided. Meanwhile we're still waiting on confirmation of the flights.

My son travels on Eurostar to Bruxelles once a month, and he says no-one knows a thing. The UK division of his company has put all development on hold while it's full speed ahead in the EU27 countries.
Jimux   
Thu Feb 14 2019, 02:51am

Member No: #8137
The French are introducing a sort of foriegner's identity card. In April I think. I didn't pay too much attention as 70 yr+ are exempt, but I thought the cost was E5. Not seen any other country make similar announceent.
YOG   
Thu Feb 14 2019, 04:10am
Member No: #17929
Why would it be any different to an American or Australian entering France?
"Travelers there for vacation or business are not required to get a visa when staying for less than 90 days."
- Click Here -
- Click Here -
Richard_C   
Thu Feb 14 2019, 11:43am
Member No: #46470
I agree with Frankbullit, there are bigger things keeping me awake. An inconvenient, or even abandoned, holiday in 2019 is relatively small fry.

Staying a-political and keeping to motoring matters. If there is a deal, any deal, there is a transition and nothing will change much for 18 months or so. During that time hopefully the fog will lift and agreements will be struck on the things that are bothering us on this forum. If there is no deal there is no formal transition period - on 30 March onwards it all relies on the goodwill of the countries involved and for some things the administrative competence of the various authorities. Need an IDP, fine as long as you can get one quickly, need a "European ESTA" type clearance, fine as long as you can do it conveniently and quickly.

I doubt the EU will be deliberately awkward but beware "reciprocal stupidity". A neighbour went on a tour that included St Petersburg. The visa process was tortuous and needed lots of past travel history plus a visit to the consulate. The visa was handed out without fuss and he asked the person who handed it out why Russia made it so difficult for tourists. Ah, he said, because that's how the UK treats us. Now that might have changed, but if our border guards make it difficult for EU citizens then expect long queues at the tunnel/ferry while the French do the same.

Coming to specifics, the EU are difficult about hire cars from outside jurisdictions - I think its more about undercover grey imports than regulation. Anyway, if you hire a car from Geneva airport you have to tell them where you are going. Hertz and the like maintain 2 fleets, one of EU registered cars. You might not be able to hire that 8 seater in the UK and drive all the family to the Med, if you ever did that sort of thing.

I wonder if professional drivers - especially coach drivers - will have transferable licences?

Others have mentioned insurance green cards - let's wait and see but again if the insurers admin is OK its all do-able. £25 admin charge perhaps? Used to be £10 years ago. If you have a company car, or any car you didn't own, you used to need a letter giving you permission to take it beyond our shores. I can see the leasing companies making a bit on the side from admin fees there as well if we revert.

Oh - don't forget that EHICs might not work for emergency medical treatment. I suspect most of us take travel insurance anyway.

What am I doing?

Well, I have a French Crit_air sticker for one car, might as well apply for the other while we are still members - in case they decide that a copy of a UK registration document isn't good enough.

We're off to Kracow for 3 days in May for Mrs Me's 65th birthday, flying with an EU owned airline and booked in an EU owned chain hotel so don't expect any hassle apart from maybe longer queues at the airports at each end. If it all goes pear shaped then stay at home.

And we've booked a symbolic "last hurrah" 4 day car trip for teh weekend before the big day - Lens, Lille and Brussels back on the 26th March.

I know I can go again, but likely not as an EU citizen. For now I am a citizen alongside 500 million others, and have the right to travel freely anywhere from the arctic circle to an island in the med, from the Russian border to islands in the Atlantic. After we leave I can probably visit, but not as a right. It will be different.

(There's an art gallery in Lisbon that is free for EU citizens, just show your passport. E25 for anyone else - they get lots of cruise ships so get lots of people from USA, Japan, China ...best get there soon for a free ride)

routemaster1   
Thu Apr 11 2019, 10:15am
So I think we have a bit of clarity, at least for the summer. I did get an International Driving Permit, as we need to hire a car in Portugal at the beginning of May. Unfortunately it only lasts until mid July, as my class D and photo run out then (only £5.50 lost as I needed the photo for the new license). I also had to renew my car insurance, and they insisted on sending green cards for both cars. So none are needed for now, but I will probably take the appropriate ones with me when we go.
BigJohnD   
Thu Apr 11 2019, 11:07am

Member No: #82
I'm reading this while waiting at Schipol for my delayed flight back to Speke. The general feeling here varies from no interest to, well the UK started all this but have no real answers.

Basically it's business as usual until we know otherwise.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member