or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Travelling to Europe post no deal Brexit

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
FrankBullitt   
Thu Apr 11 2019, 11:55am

Member No: #19238
That is the summer holiday covered and we return from Holland in the last Saturday in October, by which time we’ll know on what basis it is still happening (yes, I am being ironic)
Richard_C   
Fri Apr 12 2019, 02:12pm
Member No: #46470
My "last hurrah" on 22nd ended up as a very fine trip, Louvre Lens, 2 nights in Lille and 2 in Brussels, Ghent on the way back. Good food, good bars (especially Lille), good galleries. I guess I will have to plan another late in October. A visit to Parliamentarium - the EU visitor centre in Brussels - reminds you how far Europe has come in rebuilding itself after 1945 and the benign impact on people in the former soviet states who now have developing economies and a legal backstop (ECJ) to protect their and our rights.

There were 2 travel issues, neither of them major. On the way back the French were doing a 100% security check at Eurotunnel, every car stopped, trunk opened, cursory search and explosive swabs. All very polite and friendly but at the Calais end it all happens before you get to the facilities. 65 minutes from check in gate to the terminal is a long time when you really really really (really) want a wee.

The second was our no deal preparation on the M20. 14 miles of contraflow under a 50 limit, concrete barriers down the middle of a 2+2 carriageway with the southbound closed and readied as a truck parking lot. It adds 10 or 15 minutes I guess, but the worst bit (it being dark by then) is trundling along with heavy tailgating trucks in both of the narrow lanes especially on the many long downhill sections. Strikes me that any incident (for example wavering caravan clipped by truck) will lead to massive delays both ways. Following Wednesdays talks (listens?) in Brussels the no deal prep has been suspended, Highways Agency reckon it will take 3 weeks to shift the concrete away again.

The only unwelcoming grumpy soul I came across was the UK borders agency passport checker in Calais. I know they have a job to do but 3/4 of them seem to relish awkwardness. Maybe they get poor pay and rotten shifts, understaffed and so on. I wonder what tourist from other countries make of it. Welcome to Britain.
FrankBullitt   
Fri Apr 12 2019, 02:53pm

We’ve not been back through Calais-Folkestone for a few years now having taken to the Western Crossing routes on Brittany Ferries (worth it when travelling through France at 56mph!) and UK border control have always been great when we arrive in Portsmouth.

The last time we came back through Eurotunnel the UK passport control guy was insistent I dropped the rear window on the DS4 so he could see our son, when I explained it doesn’t go down he wouldn’t let me get out to open the door - my son had to unfasten himself and lean forward through the front door.
BigJohnD   
Sat Apr 13 2019, 04:35am

Member No: #82
Richard_C wrote ...

On the way back the French were doing a 100% security check at Eurotunnel, every car stopped, trunk opened, cursory search and explosive swabs.

Something similar happened to us. The car in front was a big estate car - mum, dad, two small kids and the boot absolutely rammed full. The security guy wanted the booted opened. The dad was saying are you sure? So he opened it. Everything exploded out of the the boot and on to the road! Dirty washing, kids toys, stuff for wiping down the kids! The security man just told him to put it back and hurry up.

We were next. The back of our C4 was loaded up with camping kit, back seat folded down. Wondering what might happen, he took one look, and waved us through! He wasn't making the same mistake again!
iscom   
Sat Apr 13 2019, 05:22am
Member No: #20936
Or maybe he was a Citroen fan :}

The only time I was stopped was at the Croatian border who took our documents and came back five minutes later and we continued
stoic   
Mon Jul 08 2019, 08:23am
Member No: #49774
I got my IDP two months ago "just in case". It took 15 minutes at the local Post Office. I might not need it, but just in case we leave suddenly I didn't want to wait for hours in a PO queue!
routemaster1   
Mon Jul 08 2019, 08:39am
Member No: #574
stoic wrote ...

I got my IDP two months ago "just in case". It took 15 minutes at the local Post Office. I might not need it, but just in case we leave suddenly I didn't want to wait for hours in a PO queue!

Have you got your green card?
iscom   
Mon Jul 08 2019, 10:19am
An Advert on RTE Radio / TV stating UK will not be valid after 31 Oct if its a No Deal also in newspapers

Drivers who hold a British or Northern Irish driving licence have been urged to exchange it for an Irish driving licence in preparation for the possibility of the UK leaving the EU in October without a deal.

“If there is a no-deal Brexit, then after this date, if you are living in [the Republic of] Ireland, your UK driving licence will no longer be valid to drive here,” the Road Safety Authority (RSA) said in a statement.

The RSA said a UK driving licence would no longer be valid here if there was a no-deal Brexit on October 31st.
stoic   
Tue Jul 09 2019, 08:01am
routemaster1 wrote ...

stoic wrote ...

Have you got your green card?

Err, no. Though I have informed my insurance people and paid the extra insurance premium and extended my breakdown cover. For the summer at least, I hope this should be enough.
BigJohnD   
Tue Jul 09 2019, 08:35am

I recently had a week in Champagne - my Green Card came by return of post after making an online request on my insurer's website (LV). There was no charge and it's valid for 3 months
stoic   
Tue Jul 09 2019, 11:32am
http://rac.co.uk/insurance/brexit

The EU has granted an extension to the Brexit process until 31st October 2019, which means that RAC Car Insurance customers will not require a Green Card for travelling in the EU between now and 31st October, and as such we will not be issuing any until further notice.

We will continue to monitor developments and whether Green Cards may need to be issued from 31st October. If you are planning to travel after 31st October, please contact us 21 days before you travel and we can issue you with a Green Card if required.
iscom   
Tue Jul 09 2019, 11:50am
All one can say is "WHAT A MESS"
1 User said Thank You to iscom for this Post :
 proinnsias (10 Jul 2019 : 06:02)
FrankBullitt   
Tue Jul 09 2019, 02:35pm

No need for an IDP or Green Card until 31st October.

We travel to the Netherlands for October half term, back on the 26th October.

Last year we booked this summers Brittany Ferry In July, due to the ferries being messed around with lots of cancellations/ late changes this spring, Brittany Ferries are wisely citing mid October before they release summer 2020 crossings...they may even delay it again...
BigJohnD   
Tue Jul 09 2019, 04:12pm

iscom wrote ...

Yup.
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
rusky   
Tue Jul 09 2019, 04:33pm
Member No: #27768
iscom wrote ...

That's the polite version!
1 User said Thank You to rusky for this Post :
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member