or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Maintenance Tips ALL variant C4 C4 Picasso and DS4 :: Maintenance and Repair Tips and Procedures.

Roadside wheel change - a caution

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Jimux   
Tue Feb 12 2019, 01:51am

Member No: #8137
It's been 15 years since I last had to change a wheel by the roadside, but recently I had a new set of tyres fitted on the C4P. Sitting watching the fitters at work I saw them use a huge rubber mallet to thump the wheels after removing the bolts. The tyres were 4 years old, but removed annually during servicing, with the last removal 10 months previously.

Back home a fortnight later I decided to remove the wheels and give everything a good clean up. The wheels would not come off, and only obliged after I had sprayed the spigots with brake cleaner and levered them off with a rubber wrapped wheel brace, poking through to lever against the brake calliper casting.
Once off it was apparent it was the age old problem of aluminium in contact with steel. A vigorous wire brushing of the hub removed a lot of crud. But the question is 'how can you prevent it recurring?'. Greasing the face would not stop electrolysis, and in any case is frowned upon these days - as is greasing wheel bolts. A paint application would inevitably cause the two faces to stick together, and a plastic gasket would be compressible.
I settled for a little WD40.

Like many of you I have a space-saver spare tyre, but without suitable advance preparation I suspect I would never be able to change it at the roadside, if I ever got a puncture.
Magistrate   
Tue Feb 12 2019, 09:01am
Member No: #1731
I have been in a similar situation several times where the wheels have become almost welded to the hubs. In such a situation you have no choice other than call a rescue service.One of the issues I had with Citroen eight years ago was their assistance plan that was then with the AA. A specific exclusion was the changing of wheels at the roadside unless you purchased an additional add on. Fortunately I had been with the RAC for many years but had I not, with the limited cover Citroen Assist provided I would have been stranded on the hard shoulders of very busy motorways struggling. Hopefully, Citroen now longer have this exclusion.
DCB   
Tue Feb 12 2019, 09:33am
Member No: #47899
Had similar issues to the P on a company Mondeo a few years back. I ended up using the spare to bash and dislodge the offending tyre & roadwheel. A bit harem scarem, but, needs must.
iscom   
Tue Feb 12 2019, 11:00am
Member No: #20936
Hell !!!! I call the AA
10coupe   
Wed Feb 13 2019, 01:55am
Member No: #40778

Once off it was apparent it was the age old problem of aluminium in contact with steel. A vigorous wire brushing of the hub removed a lot of crud. But the question is 'how can you prevent it recurring?'. Greasing the face would not stop electrolysis, and in any case is frowned upon these days - as is greasing wheel bolts. A paint application would inevitably cause the two faces to stick together, and a plastic gasket would be compressible.
I settled for a little WD40.

Like many of you I have a space-saver spare tyre, but without suitable advance preparation I suspect I would never be able to change it at the roadside, if I ever got a puncture.

[/quote1550044526]

I had similar problems myself - again an alloy wheel sticking to the plate. What I have done since is smear the contacting surfaces of the plate (not the studs) with copper ease which seems to do the trick
1 User said Thank You to 10coupe for this Post :
 Jimux (13 Feb 2019 : 06:04)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member